Sponsored by:

Exhaust Cut Out Kit in SoCal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 04:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 E55
Exhaust Cut Out Kit in SoCal?

Any of you SoCal guys do the exhaust cut out here? I've read all the threads about RPM and back east... and have considered buying the kit and having someone here install it.

But I wanted to get feedback on the uber strick smog control issues here... is it legal or illegal to do (besides sound ordinances!). Recommend any shops aorund here? Anyone actually do it here in Socal?

Thanks in advance,

Loren
Old 06-11-2006, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
do cutouts remove the primary cats?
Old 06-11-2006, 04:44 PM

05 E55
Originally Posted by Brabus E55
do cutouts remove the primary cats?
no, they are installed after the 2nd set of cats, just before the muffler... you're merely bypassing the muffler into a straight pipe when you have it activated.

There are a alot of threads on this... and the sound is killer. I'm just curious about CA and smog laws if anyone knows...

Loren
Old 06-11-2006, 04:52 PM

E55
sso is it just straight piping where the resonators are supposed to be
Old 06-11-2006, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

By cutouts do you mean bypass valves? This is a picture of another member's car (i forgot who) who had the bypass valves installed. I'm in SoCal too so let me know if you find anyone to do this.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
Bypass Valve Install.bmp (254.2 KB, 6737 views)
Old 06-11-2006, 09:44 PM

05 E55
Originally Posted by Eleanor Owner
By cutouts do you mean bypass valves? This is a picture of another member's car (i forgot who) who had the bypass valves installed. I'm in SoCal too so let me know if you find anyone to do this.
yup, exactly... there are many names for it, I just went with what QTP calls them. QTP is a place that sells the actual valves that you electronically / remotely control in the car, turning them on and off:

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/

The pic you posted is from this thread... I think it was a CLS, don't remember... but the video in the thread definitely was a CLS55 K4. It's crazy, and the thread doesn't always allow me to play it for some reason (you can right click on it, save target as, download it and then play it if your QuickTime is wack like mine):

Thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...t=bypass+video

Now, I dunno about you... but having the option to go stock and sound like that is really appealing... God lord that's just NASTY! I love Rock's comment in the thread... haha

Loren
Old 06-11-2006, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Mounted that far back ,the sound reminds me of a factory Chev. chambered exhaust. They snap, crackle and pop when you are at idle or backing out of the throttle. You either love it or hate it. BTW...we used to call them dumps !!! Right Grumpy ?

Last edited by vader; 06-11-2006 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:03 PM

Yeah, Bob, and they usually dumped right under the driver's/passenger's seat so you could really hear them. I'm in the hated 'em camp. If I wanted to hear that kind of sound from a car, I'd go to a demolition derby. IMO, replacing the factory muffler with a chambered, performance design (Flowmaster, etc) would be the way to go on these cars. You'd have a low, throaty rumble at idle with a mean-*** wail at WOT. It would be about 8 times cheaper, too. A class act like an E55 deserves better than dumping exhaust in front of the muffler.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:54 AM

05 E55
Originally Posted by Grumpy666
Yeah, Bob, and they usually dumped right under the driver's/passenger's seat so you could really hear them. I'm in the hated 'em camp. If I wanted to hear that kind of sound from a car, I'd go to a demolition derby. IMO, replacing the factory muffler with a chambered, performance design (Flowmaster, etc) would be the way to go on these cars. You'd have a low, throaty rumble at idle with a mean-*** wail at WOT. It would be about 8 times cheaper, too. A class act like an E55 deserves better than dumping exhaust in front of the muffler.
Not a lot of demolition derby events around LA, unless you consider the morning commute on the 101 or 405 a spectator sport...

... and money isn't a huge object in my mods, so I'd go with an Eisenmann long before I got a Flowmaster.

But alas, neither matter as my car has 4 doors... a family affair of sorts... which means I do share this class act with the wifey on occasion. Needless to say, she likes the slow and calm driving style of Driving Ms. Daisy. Very much like the Jekyll / Hyde image these cars were based upon, we are split personality drivers. She loves the nice comfortable and safe E55... I like the WOT Beast it can be.

So the appeal of having both the muted, understated and almost undercover stock exhaust sound in addition to that demolition derby I'm-going-to-snap you-in-half monster-garage sound in the same car is tremendous... especially when you can adjust it anywhere from 0-100% from within your car.

Classy or not, its appealing to my ol' big block days...

Does anyone know if its illegal in CA or not? That's what I'm really trying to find out. I know if you so much as look at an emissions device you're in trouble... but what about stuff after the cats like this? Are straight pipes after your CAT just flat out illegal for sound reasons or smog reasons?

Loren
Old 06-12-2006, 06:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its most definitely illegal. I got a ticket for the Mustang and all that has is a Roush Racing muffler. Throw in cutouts (ie. no muffler AT ALL when it is open) and you've definitely got a lawbreaker on your hands. Just make sure that thing is closed around cops
Old 06-12-2006, 07:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Its really cool with the cut outs feeding back into the stock tail pipes after the muffler.....
Old 06-12-2006, 09:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I am also not a fan of this mod, but since it is for Loren i'll tell. The illegal part is simply noise. You could get a noise ticket. No smog issues at ALL.

I guess cutting out the resonators isn't enough for you?
Old 06-12-2006, 12:23 PM

05 E55
Originally Posted by jangy
I am also not a fan of this mod, but since it is for Loren i'll tell. The illegal part is simply noise. You could get a noise ticket. No smog issues at ALL.

I guess cutting out the resonators isn't enough for you?
Everything I've read on here, including a post by Grumpy, point out that the resonators barely modify sound... and in fact are targeting upper sound frequencies, not enhancing low ones. Barely, imagination, a little bit... all I read about the results of the resonator delete kits...

I was looking for something closer to the Eisenmann race exhaust... and I guess that would be my next question... how much different in sound is the stock exhaust versus Eisenmann Sport versus Eisenmann Race? This really is all for the ears of my bride to be... she doesn't even like the TV volume up past "Cricket" level.

Noise ticket only? Hmmm... that could be kinda fun "But officer, you obviously have the wrong car... listen to how quiet this is (switch flip)."

And yes, I thought those pipes that went back into the exhaust were very trick... I just don't know if I can find a GOOD fabricator near me without someone's help. Lots of shops will be like... "sure, we can do dat".

Thanks guys!

Loren
Old 06-12-2006, 01:07 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Here's my $.02. I had a cut out on my 98 Camaro. Let me tell you, there's nothing like WOT! It sounds like the freakin' world is coming to an end. You are going to get the attention of everyone within 6 blocks, including the dead. It's that loud. The car also sounds awesome at idle. The only time I didn't like the sound was at low RPM's in a high gear (bog). It sounded like a Mac Truck. By the way, if you're interested in keeping your wife or significant other from wanting to drive the car, get the cut out. For me, although I loved the sound and attention when I floored it, I'm not sure it fits with the E55. I haven't been able to justify that kind of sound from such a "refined" automobile. For me, it's a no vote. But, I do miss the "end of the world" sound when racing.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
For some reason my set of cut-outs rusted causing them to sound like crap and I had to get another set but they were under a 4 year warranty.

Who cares if they are illegal, your driving a Benz not a stang and are less likely to get pulled over. Of course if you mount your on/off button in the ash tray you can go to stock sound in 2 seconds. Much better set up in my opinion that going with a cat back or sportier muffler.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:13 AM
Almost a Member!

99 C5 FRC
Im actually a big fan of the electronic cut-out valves. This is such an easy way to pick up good power and you can have it when you want. Pricing is very good on these as well. Spend the $400 for the valves and then get a muffler shop to weld them in. I can't see that being to expensive as long as the exhaust doesn't require a special welding technique(titanium). All together ~$600. Just my .02 cents.