How to Launch The BEAST

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is Sick as Fu*k
How to Launch The BEAST

So Ive read a bunch of posts about how if the launch was better the win would have been bigger, or a better launch would have done more damage etc. So I was wondering how exactly are you suppose to launch these bad boys without spining to much tire and taking off quickly...Ive had my E55 for 2 months now...But every time i punch it i spin for a second then take off...and that gives me a disadvantage...SO any suggestions...Steps lol anything....Thanx
Old 06-16-2006, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
An LSD plus some slicks would sure help in that department.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Try rolling into the gas instead of punching it.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Most guys brake-torque to get the best launch. When you're first practicing, start with ESP on. Hold the brake and bring the RPMs up to about 1100. Let go of the brake and ease into the gas until you're at kickdown. You should probably just stay in S mode the whole time, but some people put the car in S and shift down to first and then just let the car shift on its own. Thats essentially what you're doing when you just start off in drive anyway, so theres really no point. Lemme know how it works.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:58 PM

2006 E55 AMG
I'm still learning with my E55 but my other "torquey" car was just as tricky to launch. That car also had traction control and even with 315 drag radials, the tires would spin for days. I had to learn how to "feather" the gas pedal to accomodate for different road conditions. It took many launches in many different conditions before I got the feel. I assume it will be the same with the E55. I don't like to launch with traction control because the vehicle takes to long to give control back to the driver. Practice, practice & practice, then go buy some new rear tires and practice some more.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 E55 Black
gee whiz this car isn't tricky to launch unless you're disabling ESP; floor it. If you want to minimize ESP intervention, slowly floor it
Old 06-16-2006, 08:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Actually, the launch is very important. Especially if you have the stock tires. If you do AND they have gotten hard, then it is over and there is nothing you can do. LSD, rolling, etc. won't make the contis stick.
You have to get to where you feel the traction in your butt!!

ESP:
If you only have a few shots at it, then leave it on (i.e. light off) so that you get the least chance of having a spinout and therefore loss.
If, however, you really want to get every ounce out AND you have the time to attempt many launches, turn ESP off (i.e. light ON). Every now and then I get a great launch with it off and it is MUCH more fun, especially if there are any undulations in the road!!

Throttle:
Ease into it for sure. Just a simple punch and you should spin. I usually "slam" it down to ~50% until the car is up and moving and then I mash it on down to the end.

All in all you get a little groove going and you can get to where you really feel the car digging a spot. That is when you know you have arrived!!
Old 06-20-2006, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
More comments pls for those who has great 1/4 times...

I need to learn this as well...
Old 06-20-2006, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Eleanor Owner
Most guys brake-torque to get the best launch. When you're first practicing, start with ESP on. Hold the brake and bring the RPMs up to about 1100. Let go of the brake and ease into the gas until you're at kickdown. You should probably just stay in S mode the whole time, but some people put the car in S and shift down to first and then just let the car shift on its own. Thats essentially what you're doing when you just start off in drive anyway, so theres really no point. Lemme know how it works.
Hmm! I think when you start off in S the car actually launches in 2nd gear as opposed to 1st. I have experienced this with my car a number of times. Launching in 1st instead off 2nd just causes the car to go sideways.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 E55 Black
No, S mode accesses 1st gear, C mode starts in 2nd. There shouldn't be any meaningful slippage if ESP is on.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
depends if you're on the street or at the track.... on the street, I leave ESP on, get it on half way for a quick bit, then hammer it as the weight transfers to the back..... at the strip, you'll have a stickier surface and can get away with ESP off, dyno mode, power braking....

any hammering off the line on the street with ESP off will just turn your car into a tire to smoke converter.....