Sponsored by:

Interesting news for S. CA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 01:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05E55
Interesting news for S. CA

As promised in a prior thread I have looked into the possibility of doing a track day at the El Toro airstrip (currently used for factory test drives). From my source: Summit Raceway @ El Toro in Irvine CA will open this year. It will include a road course and drag strip. Stay tuned!!!
Old 06-20-2006, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by L8Apex
As promised in a prior thread I have looked into the possibility of doing a track day at the El Toro airstrip (currently used for factory test drives). From my source: Summit Raceway @ El Toro in Irvine CA will open this year. It will include a road course and drag strip. Stay tuned!!!
El Toro now has a Autocross course set up and run by an automotive testing firm called AMCI. They do have events and the course formations can vary as well. They have a drag strip as well but this format is not something that a MB does well. An autocross course is better suited for small vehicles like Honda S2000's, Lotus Elises, Mazda Miata's etc. If you want to put on a track day you should go rent the big track at willow springs for a day. Having tried to put together many track days, I know the cost runs about 4.4k for a daily rental (with corner workers, an EMT crew etc).

If you wanted to you could rent both the small track and the big track at willow and that would allow you to have twice the people attend. It would be fun to run both tracks the same day I think as well.

I just dont see MB's being all that thrilling when running around a parking lot filled with cones.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:24 PM

05E55
The track day would be drags only (which the 55 does very well) ! I'm well aware of the autox events. From my understanding the unofficial word is there will be a road course not a street course. I'll save that for my Pcar not the 55.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by L8Apex
The track day would be drags only (which the 55 does very well) ! I'm well aware of the autox events. From my understanding the unofficial word is there will be a road course not a street course. I'll save that for my Pcar not the 55.
Easier to just go to a dedicated drag strip no?

Palmadale has an ok site. You dont need an ex airbase for a drag event....

Ever looked into renting the Pamona site?
Old 06-20-2006, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
Cadillac is holding some type of drivers event there in a month - got a invite in the mail yesterday.

~ Ian
Old 06-20-2006, 11:16 PM

05E55
IAN,

I just got home and in the mail is same invite for the caddy event. R u going? They mention the new track. 3 mile Summit Raceway at Marine Corps Air Station El Toro Irvine CA. This should be fun. I'm pretty excited about having a track so close to my house.Beats the hell out of towing the cars to Buttonwillow and Willow springs.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:31 PM

05E55
Here is a video of a guy in a e55 taking a lap at this new 3 mile track in Irvine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP8G2wgRuns&search=e55
Old 08-03-2006, 11:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
That is not just any dude and I am THRILLED to see him in an E55. he was one of the people in my group at the AMG challenge. i forgot his name, but he kicked butt in all the events and we had a pretty competitive group (first overall). he even beat Tommy Kendalls time in the autocross. Dude can flat out throw that thing and has no ego at all. I RARELY come accross someone that I respect so much, but he was up there.

As far as the track, looks a little tight to me. I'd hate to see how many wrecks we'd have on it. Doubt I'd put my ride in on a pack.