Edmunds Drives the New E63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 03:42 PM
ON PROBATION

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edmunds Drives the New E63

Edmunds.com InsideLine Drives the E63.

I took a look and didn't find a post on this - kind of hard to believe that this isn't a repost - and didn't remember getting this here...so here goes:

Edmunds.com Inside Line
05-17-2006

First Drive: 2007 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG
More speed from less torque and more gears

Normally we'd mourn the passing of an engine like AMG's supercharged 5.5-liter V8, the über-huffer that's powered many of our favorite Mercedes-Benzes. However, now that we've sampled its formidable successor, AMG's new naturally aspirated 6.2-liter V8, we've cancelled the wake and are planning a party instead. Woo-hoo! The new 2007 E63 sedan is the most powerful E-Class yet to blast out of Stuttgart, and it's a delight to drive, especially when the 507 horses are fully unleashed.

Some of us had wondered if AMG's new engine, up in horsepower but down in torque, could deliver the heavy boot to the butt of the supercharged sedan. Would it be able to run with the 10-cylinder BMW M5 and Audi S6 sport sedans? This driver discovered the answer — yes! — in a 2007 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG sedan, appropriately on a stretch of unlimited German autobahn. Underscored by the musical bellow of its big-displacement, race-tech-rich V8, the car rearranged time and distance in exhilarating, entertaining and sometimes frightening ways, shrunk the gaps between here and there to just a few degrees of throttle travel, and obliterated any doubts that the E63 would be as aggressively powerful as the much loved and admired E55.

In only a single respect did it disappoint: Because the sedan achieved the governed top speed of 155 mph so quickly and with such ease, we felt cheated knowing there was so much more top-end power in reserve. Europeans will have the option of ordering their E63s without a limiter; Americans will not. Drat.

By the way, for those who still hanker for force-fed power, the combination of supercharged 5.5-liter engine and five-speed transmission continues in the SL55 AMG and G55 AMG for the remainder of this model year.

More technology, not much more money
Available as a sedan or wagon, the E63 is expected to retail for about the same price as current E55s, around $83,000, despite the fair amount of new and revised components being introduced across the E-Class line, which in the U.S. consists of the E320 Bluetec sedan, E350 sedan and seven-passenger wagon, E550 sedan and the E63 sedan and wagon.

Befitting their stature at the top of the line, the AMG models benefit from more aggressive running gear, bigger brakes and specific tuning for the Airmatic suspension, and a new seven-speed automatic transmission. The E63 sits on larger 18-inch alloys, 8.5 inches wide up front and 9 inches out back, wrapped by 245/40 and 265/35 ZR-rated tires (Pirelli P Zeros on our test car). We wouldn't mind seeing 19s on this car, both for aesthetic and dynamic reasons.

The bigger brakes consist of front 14.2-inch vented, perforated and partially composite discs gripped by six-piston fixed calipers and 13-inch vented and perforated discs in the rear, clamped by four-piston fixed calipers. Our autobahn runs demonstrated how valuable these big binders are, hauling the heavy sedan down from high speeds time and again with no sign of fade. We also liked the feel from the new electronically controlled hydraulic system, which has eliminated the abruptness that compromised the response of some recent Mercedes brakes.

Though AMG tuned the Airmatic suspension for more aggressive driving, the system still delivers good ride comfort when in comfort mode. Push the adjustable shock button for full sport, and the chassis stiffens to sharpen up the handling, but not at the expense of a harsh ride. Bottom line: There is no other adjustable suspension around that can handle so many kinds of road surfaces and dynamic situations without exposing a weakness.

In fact, perhaps the only shortcoming in the entire vehicle is the seven-speed's lack of a throttle blip when it downshifts. It's possible to accomplish the matching of revs manually by the age-old method of whacking the gas pedal as the tranny makes the move between gears, but we expect that such an advanced gearbox should be able to do it for you.

A faster, less torquey solution
As Inside Line has noted in its review of the ML63 AMG, the new 6.2 is a marvel of an engine. It's lighter, more powerful, cleaner, just as fuel-efficient and, arguably, more durable than the 5.5 it replaces. It's also the first engine in a Mercedes-Benz passenger car to be developed completely by AMG, which fully exercised its motorsport expertise when developing the V8's unique architecture.

In its state of tune for U.S.-bound E63 sedans and wagons, the 6,208cc four-valve DOHC V8 puts out 507 horsepower at 6,800 rpm compared to the E55's 5,439cc three-valve SOHC supercharged V8's rating of 469 hp at 6,100 rpm. Well and good. The newer car should be more powerful. Torque? The bigger V8 twists out 465 pound-feet of torque at 5,200 rpm compared to the (what's this?) 516 lb-ft of torque from the outgoing V8. The E55's torque also peaked earlier, at 2,650 rpm. Sounds like a step backward.

However, there was good reason for the reduction in torque. This allowed Mercedes to fit its new, sophisticated seven-speed automatic in place of the old five-speed. Though the new gearbox is far more efficient than the five-speed, and though it was not built to handle the massive torque of the supercharged engine, its limit of 542 lb-ft, say Mercedes engineers, gives it the required durability to handle the 6.2's far-from-paltry crank twist.

Even better, the loss of torque has had no impact on the car's performance. Let's turn to the factory for this conclusion, which says the 6.2 can launch the E63 sedan from zero to 60 mph in 4.3 seconds. (That's a worthy accomplishment for a 4,035-pound four-door — and it's also probably a conservative figure. Certainly the 514-hp European-spec car we drove in Germany felt much quicker.) To compare, the E55, according to factory numbers, takes 4.5 seconds to achieve the same speed. Race is over; the E63 is quicker. (Just to save you the trouble of looking it up, the similarly sized BMW M5 makes the dash from zero to 60 in 4.5 seconds.) Credit the E63's more efficient seven-speed transmission, improved aerodynamics and, surprisingly in this day of the bloated automobile, a moderate overall weight gain of just 45 pounds compared to the E55 sedan.

We tried a few surreptitious stabs at the low 4s on a narrow side road with all the traction control systems switched completely off, and succeeded only in reaching the limits of adhesion (located just this side of the land of crashes) before we could count off the seconds, scaring ourselves and irking a local farmer tending his hops. We'll wait for our experts and a test track to wring the real numbers out of the 2007 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG, but note for the record that anyone's skills will have to be on full alert to get the most out of this potent beauty.

EDIT: Since we now have been informed that the 030 Performance Package is going to be available on USA cars, we can assume that larger tires and wheels will be on the car, and we can also assume that the Vmax delimit will - or at least might - be included in the contents of that package -- which means more than 155mph out of that engine...and the car.... We can aslo expect something in addition with the braking, suspension -- and maybe even cooling and transmission.... Who knows what each of us can hope for?

Last edited by ClayJ; 06-23-2006 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:58 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 176 Posts
Thumbs up

Sounds like the 63 is a step in the right direction, and as some of us thought, MB's official 0-60 would be a couple of tenths less than the 55's and is probably due to better traction (spelled less torque) and the 7 speed.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is the second review who has said the only downfall was the fact that it hit the limiter so quickly. Thats nuts. Others have also mentioned the lack of rev-matching as well which, I agree, is a serious oversight on MB's part.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:00 PM
ON PROBATION

That's why I am just dying to know what is in the 030 package -- this car already has the brakes one might be adding with the "old" 030 pkg in a way of thinking.

What are they really going to do to the suspension? Stiffer front springs only?

I am thinking that it can't be just what I would call a 'cosmetic' package: wheels, steering wheel, CF trim -- not on this model(!).

So Vmax, cooling, suspension, LSD, tranny software -- I'm hoping for all of those.....

And of course, to be honest, I just hate it when guys spend a whole thread in conjecture, throwing out and bandying about with their wet dreams for an upcoming twin turbo version, etc....but I am really going good on the fact that we are going to get an 030 package, FINALLY, on the E55 -- only this time it is going to be on the already arguably hot E63!

Oh Boy.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 E55
Originally Posted by ClayJ
Edmunds.com InsideLine Drives the E63.

I took a look and didn't find a post on this - kind of hard to believe that this isn't a repost - and didn't remember getting this here...so here goes:
Hey Clay... yeah, this article was beaten to death in other posts last month when the article came out. Basically, its someone driving it and only using factory stats / claims, which we all know have been inaccurate at times.

We're all waiting for a testing mag to actually put up all the official numbers and not keep rehashing what MB claims, prints, or publicizes, etc...

Here are the other threads if you want to see everyone's comments on it:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...&highlight=e63

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...&highlight=e63

Loren
Old 06-23-2006, 10:57 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Eleanor Owner
This is the second review who has said the only downfall was the fact that it hit the limiter so quickly. Thats nuts. Others have also mentioned the lack of rev-matching as well which, I agree, is a serious oversight on MB's part.
Just curious, how can a non-smg type trans match revs on a downshift?

Thanks
Old 06-24-2006, 02:31 AM
ON PROBATION

Thanks, Loren - I looked but I was busy today and going back and forth and blah, blah, blah.....

Still a good hors douvre -- and I have come to believe that factory marks from MBZ do tend towards the conservative.

We shall see more soon, I'm sure.

Oh, and RJC - that was a sarcastic remark from the author - the Italian cars are all doing it with their semi-automatics, and it is GREAT stuff.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ClayJ
That's why I am just dying to know what is in the 030 package -- this car already has the brakes one might be adding with the "old" 030 pkg in a way of thinking.
Nope, the new E63 has 14.2 inch compound front rotors, the 030 package came with 15.0 inch compound front rotors.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:50 AM
ON PROBATION

Originally Posted by Frank Wiesmann
Nope, the new E63 has 14.2 inch compound front rotors, the 030 package came with 15.0 inch compound front rotors.
...which is why I said, "...in a way of thinking":
compound and the exit of Sensomatic-can't you-feel-me should be quite an improvement in the braking system; and I couldn't remember if the CLS55 030 Pkg included 19 inch wheels with the 380mm rotors, or the 18 inch wheels with the 360mm rotors....

But the clarification from you on the idea that if 19's were offered in the Pkg with the 380mm rotors (and why wouldn't they be?) was helpful.

Thanks for that, Frank.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Still noone has mentioned the obvious truth. That "single car test drives" are nothing more than publicity stunts. Let's say you as "Mr Auto Magazine" came out and told the truth, "This thing is nice, but it blows in other places too. It also sucks that AMG calculated in anti-modding features in the new tranny to stop us from adding hp". How many times would Mr Mag be invited to drive a new AMG in the future???

Now, when they do a shootout....THAT is when you get to be negative by nature. Only time I heard them puss out was when they ran the Enzo VS SLR VS Carrera. They gave minute differences but mostly it was crap with all the companies egos on the line.

It was the shootout that revealed that the E55's brakes just blew comared to the M5, that the handling was a bit piggish and the ESP was the fun police.

When the E55 VS M5 shootouts start coming out in bulk, then I will actually pay attention.

Otherwise honestly, you are basically reading a Benz press release.

PS....as far as wet dreaming about Twin Turbs, leave a man some room for hope would ya. It's not like the new head of AMG HASN'T said turbo 8's are the future of AMG. It's not like the rumors aren't flying about a 2008 rollout of 2009 models. I still hold that their IS going to be a twin turb coming, but it will be a special edition mid hundred thousand dollar version like the S65 is near 200K.

We'll see.

Last edited by Jakpro1; 06-24-2006 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:04 PM
ON PROBATION

Originally Posted by Jakpro1
....PS....as far as wet dreaming about Twin Turbs, leave a man some room for hope would ya. It's not like the new head of AMG HASN'T said turbo 8's are the future of AMG. It's not like the rumors aren't flying about a 2008 rollout of 2009 models. I still hold that their IS going to be a twin turb coming, but it will be a special edition mid hundred thousand dollar version like the S65 is near 200K....
Yuppy on that puppy.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:23 PM

1985 380 SL 2001 SL 500 2007 E350 Sport 2008 T & C Ltd.
Don't know if you may think it's along the line of JackPro's post but just read the August Automobile three car shootout with the E63, AudiS6 and BMW M5. Rankings in that order. Thought it was pretty straight forward

Last edited by crb49; 06-26-2006 at 11:28 PM.