Carlsson pulley?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Carlsson pulley?

I've done many searches here and on the net and cant find any info on the Carlsson pulley's?The Carlsson kit changes the SC pulley and not the crank balancer right?Is there a web site with info and prices somewhere?I found a web site with wheel info but no pulley info or prices?

Are they easy to change out?Anybody here running one?Is it just the SC pulley that gets changed or does the idler/tension pulley get changed also?
Old 07-13-2006, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
C'mon now,Ive tried the search button here.Im not lazy,I just need alittle hint where to look for some prices and info.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:57 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Most likely no one here is running a Carlsson pulley..

BTW, all of the boost kits out there increase boost by replacing the CRANKSHAFT pulley.. The S/C pulley is part of the clutch assembly and cannot be removed/replaced by itself.

The Crankshaft pulley has 2 pulley ridges.. 1 ridge (6 rib) drives the accessories (the inside ridge) and the outside ridge (8 rib) drives the supercharger.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Thanks Vrus,

I understand the whole crank pulley deal,but I thought some people in here had the Carlsson SC pulley.Is it too hard of a part to get,thats why nobody uses them?Does the Carlsson SC pulley have its own clutch or do they still use the stock oem one?
Old 07-14-2006, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG, 2006 Range Rover Sport with Kahn Design Package
The CK 55 kit is indeed a 5 part pulley kit, 4 pulleys and the vibration damper.

Last edited by art@kronen; 04-11-2007 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55
Originally Posted by adam@kronen
The CK 55 kit is indeed a 5 part pulley kit, 4 pulleys and the vibration damper.
Adam do they make the blue tensioner brace pictured. If they do can i buy one from you?. Will they also sell the upper sc pulley by itself?

Thanks
Old 07-14-2006, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok, i will get you a reply tomorrow! Please remind me via pm!
Old 07-14-2006, 02:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by adam@kronen
Ok, i will get you a reply tomorrow! Please remind me via pm!
Thanks again will do. I'm sure several people might be interested in that part along with the smaller upper sc pulley.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Adam I would be intrested as well...

Rflow..why do you need these set UP ???

Any probs with ASP pullies ??? I am about to order one

Anyone know who much do Evosport pullies cost alone ???
Old 07-14-2006, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by M5 RUS
Adam I would be intrested as well...

Rflow..why do you need these set UP ???

Any probs with ASP pullies ??? I am about to order one

Anyone know who much do Evosport pullies cost alone ???
No problems with the asp whatsoever. I am interested in the small blue bracket and bolt that keeps the tensioner from springing back up under load. I would also consider the smaller upper supercharger pulley to run more boost.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
OK...is there any probs with belt slippage like old version EVO pulllies ???

Who has smaller pullies Carlsson ???

I also oder 515 Dayco belt right ???
Old 07-14-2006, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bad news guys, Carlsson doesnt sell the kit separately.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:34 PM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
03 E55 AMG
Thumbs up Carlsson pulley's

Dose any one know if there is any sales literature with prices explaining the components of the Carlsson kit?

Is there any advantages or disadvantages over other kits?

The small blue tensioner makes sense but a smaller s/c pulley is a step backward if we are talking about "belt footprint area" I can't really see where this kit has any advantages over others.

Wouldn't torque required to drive the s/c be exponential over RPM? if so, rather than go small pulley, I would leave the stock one alone and whack on a larger crank version then focus on making the belt stick to the little bugger.

I've been working on this problem for a while now as top end slip has been robbing me of power where it counts. I'll post a very cheep off the shelf solution shortly for those with larger pulleys. (after I test the solution first, so far it works fine)
Old 07-14-2006, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by rflow306
No problems with the asp whatsoever. I am interested in the small blue bracket and bolt that keeps the tensioner from springing back up under load. I would also consider the smaller upper supercharger pulley to run more boost.
...............Very very interested in this blue bracket. I am told that my boost is too high causing the belt tensioner to spring outward on full boost. This is the latest info in my ongoing saga with my car.

Ted
Old 07-14-2006, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by Finny
Dose any one know if there is any sales literature with prices explaining the components of the Carlsson kit?

Is there any advantages or disadvantages over other kits?

The small blue tensioner makes sense but a smaller s/c pulley is a step backward if we are talking about "belt footprint area" I can't really see where this kit has any advantages over others.

Wouldn't torque required to drive the s/c be exponential over RPM? if so, rather than go small pulley, I would leave the stock one alone and whack on a larger crank version then focus on making the belt stick to the little bugger.

I've been working on this problem for a while now as top end slip has been robbing me of power where it counts. I'll post a very cheep off the shelf solution shortly for those with larger pulleys. (after I test the solution first, so far it works fine)
...............You have my complete attention!!

Ted
Old 07-14-2006, 11:26 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
I've been working on this problem for a while now as top end slip has been robbing me of power where it counts
When larger crankshaft pulley is used with even 1'' longer belt, belt stretches due to harmonics and causes the tensioner to run up against upper stop and allow the belt to slip and jump a tooth.

I had to video tape the belt during acceleration run and slow replay speed down in order to see what exactly was happenning.

As RPMs climb past 4200, the belt goes into osciliations on the long side where it leaves the kompressor pulley down to crankshaft pulley. This wave than travels through all of the pulleys until it reaches tensioner which causes it to violently bounce off upper limit.

Locking the tensioner only causes the belt to fly off one tooth and eventually fail.

In order to keep this from developing I installed an additional pulley along long side of the belt that keeps oscillations to a minimum. In addition we are able to use longer 52.5'' belt that allows more travel for the tensioner. Now with the new kit the harmonic waves are reduced considerably and tensioner does not hit upper limit.

This new revised kit is now what evosport sells.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by Vadim @ MBLN
When larger crankshaft pulley is used with even 1'' longer belt, belt stretches due to harmonics and causes the tensioner to run up against upper stop and allow the belt to slip and jump a tooth.

I had to video tape the belt during acceleration run and slow replay speed down in order to see what exactly was happenning.

As RPMs climb past 4200, the belt goes into osciliations on the long side where it leaves the kompressor pulley down to crankshaft pulley. This wave than travels through all of the pulleys until it reaches tensioner which causes it to violently bounce off upper limit.

Locking the tensioner only causes the belt to fly off one tooth and eventually fail.

In order to keep this from developing I installed an additional pulley along long side of the belt that keeps oscillations to a minimum. In addition we are able to use longer 52.5'' belt that allows more travel for the tensioner. Now with the new kit the harmonic waves are reduced considerably and tensioner does not hit upper limit.

Vadim would you guys consider selling the extra idler pulley seperate?
Old 07-15-2006, 01:26 AM

03 E55 AMG
Thumbs up Parts Who Has em?

I hope that some distributors watching here will sell these items separately for those individuals with existing large pulley setups... if not... I will produce them myself and sell them at cost for some fun.

The engineering involved is a no brainer... I'm already working on the tensioner add on since no one will sell it separately. Obviously no big profits here... ha

Theses minor mods also help reduce power robbing richness up top as well.

Unfortunately these parts should have been included in all s/c pulley kits considering the substantial amount spent. These are truly gold plated harmonic balancers...

Stay tuned folks...
Old 07-15-2006, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55

Unfortunately these parts should have been included in all s/c pulley kits considering the substantial amount spent. These are truly gold plated harmonic balancers...

You mean considering the price they charge for them!
Old 07-15-2006, 03:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55

Posting the video would be very useful to all. Please.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:53 AM

03 E55 AMG
Question Possible Solution...

Interesting.... I've found that the existing stock standard s/c tensioner has inadequate tension to accommodate the higher torque and RPM generated by larger pulleys.

Rather than using this add on device to "stop or lock" the "bounce oscillation" I've adjusted the device to add more pressure on the belt. Presto ! No more spat belts even over 5K plus all day at the track. Not the best solution but it works.

The best solution would be to increase the variable sprung tension to keep the belt tension constant over wear & stretching through different temperature ranges.

Secondly, would be to put a fixed idler pulley on the other side of the s/c pulley to help wrap the belt further around the s/c, this would increase the belt foot print and thus increase high RPM traction.

I'm still looking forward to a financially viable commercial solution.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Interesting.... I've found that the existing stock standard s/c tensioner has inadequate tension to accommodate the higher torque and RPM generated by larger pulleys.

Rather than using this add on device to "stop or lock" the "bounce oscillation" I've adjusted the device to add more pressure on the belt. Presto ! No more spat belts even over 5K plus all day at the track. Not the best solution but it works.

The best solution would be to increase the variable sprung tension to keep the belt tension constant over wear & stretching through different temperature ranges.

Secondly, would be to put a fixed idler pulley on the other side of the s/c pulley to help wrap the belt further around the s/c, this would increase the belt foot print and thus increase high RPM traction.

I'm still looking forward to a financially viable commercial solution.
..............since my car is currently not driveable past 3000 rpm, I have a strong interest to find a solution. I sent you a pm.

Ted
Old 07-15-2006, 06:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce

............Vadim, to say I am interested in this is an understatement. If I purchase the Evosport-evolution 1 power package today, is the set up you described above what I will get?

Ted
Old 07-15-2006, 08:58 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
The updated pullies that Vadim just described is what Evosport sent me to retrofit into my car.

Once I get the car on the dyno and I see the A/F doesn't dive below 10:1 after 4,000RPM I'll know if they are working or not.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
VRUS an you post a pic of the set up installed ? Interested to see the additional idler used with Evo.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carlsson pulley?