PS2 QUESTION... Please help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 02:43 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS2 QUESTION... Please help!!!!!

Hey everyone,

This forum has always been very helpful with recommendations and real life experiences. So now I have yet another question to ask owners of the E55 family.

One of the biggest things that drives me crazy about my car is the SHIMMY from 50-60mps which a lot of owners have addressed. I do have set of PS2’s on the car now. Fortunately my car aligns straight but SHIMMY is still there. I have read almost every post on owners with the PS2’s. I have heard 50% say every single problem has gone away and these tires are from GOD. And the other 50% state there is a SHIMMY issue from that speed.

I have made countless trips to the dealership for new bolts, cambers, steering rack, etc.. Still same sh……. As of late I’ve been driving in Sports Mode 2 and it’s a bit less but still there.

Now my question for all owners that are running the PS2’s… Do you think I have some bad front tires and just take a chance and buy another front set to see if it cures the evil? I am confident that the dealership will not attempt or even try to fix this issue anymore. Or should I just suck it up and deal with it as if it’s normal with the car!!!

Thanks everyone, I look forward to all of your inputs and thoughts.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by vuquach
Hey everyone,

This forum has always been very helpful with recommendations and real life experiences. So now I have yet another question to ask owners of the E55 family.

One of the biggest things that drives me crazy about my car is the SHIMMY from 50-60mps which a lot of owners have addressed. I do have set of PS2’s on the car now. Fortunately my car aligns straight but SHIMMY is still there. I have read almost every post on owners with the PS2’s. I have heard 50% say every single problem has gone away and these tires are from GOD. And the other 50% state there is a SHIMMY issue from that speed.

I have made countless trips to the dealership for new bolts, cambers, steering rack, etc.. Still same sh……. As of late I’ve been driving in Sports Mode 2 and it’s a bit less but still there.

Now my question for all owners that are running the PS2’s… Do you think I have some bad front tires and just take a chance and buy another front set to see if it cures the evil? I am confident that the dealership will not attempt or even try to fix this issue anymore. Or should I just suck it up and deal with it as if it’s normal with the car!!!

The 265 tires and rear wheels do fit on the front axle with no issue so take the wheels and run the car with the reverse stagger for a day and see if the issue goes away. If it does then you know the issue lies in the tires or a bent wheel.

Simple solution to a annoying issue. Been there dont that many times and ended up getting rid of 1 car because the shimmy never went away.

Good luck
Old 07-13-2006, 05:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Originally Posted by vuquach
Hey everyone,

Try a different set of rims and/or different tires. These things are not always perfect.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55
Try inflating one or two pounds over the recommended cold tire pressure (which I believe is 35 lbs). That has worked for me in the past when I had this issue on my BMW (Dunlops, though).
Old 07-13-2006, 10:49 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 150 Posts
I had PS2's installed when my car was delivered new but I still had a shimmy at 55-60, another dealer did a balance using the GSP9700 with the road force and the shimmy was better on the way home. I have not driven the car in about two weeks so I don't have a longer term report however.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
The 265 tires and rear wheels do fit on the front axle with no issue so take the wheels and run the car with the reverse stagger for a day and see if the issue goes away. If it does then you know the issue lies in the tires or a bent wheel.

Simple solution to a annoying issue. Been there dont that many times and ended up getting rid of 1 car because the shimmy never went away.

Good luck
Do they now?? Hehe.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
I had a shake issue, after rebalancing twice, they found a TSB that replaces the front bushings, the TSB specifically addressed shaking at highway speeds, after the TSB there was a big difference, still not perfect.... but after I put on PS2's all is well.... no shaking....
Old 07-13-2006, 11:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by Fikse
I had a shake issue, after rebalancing twice, they found a TSB that replaces the front bushings, the TSB specifically addressed shaking at highway speeds, after the TSB there was a big difference, still not perfect.... but after I put on PS2's all is well.... no shaking....
You have any idea on the TSB number and to the detail of the work done?
Old 07-13-2006, 11:25 PM

2003 E55
When you guys say "shimmy" are you talking about tram-lining? Like when the tire treads follow the rain grooves on the highways? Or are you talking about the car physically shaking/moving left to right at 50-60mph when holding the steering wheel firmly? Or is it when you are going high speeds and you hit a bump while in a turn? Sorry for the dumb question, but hopefully this just means I haven't shared the same problem.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
there is no TSB listed in my repair sheet, the service advistor mentioned it...

here is what it says

guide arm bushings causing vibration wty road road test to verify concern. remove guide arms to replace bushings.

331422 guide lower cont arm/thrust/support
link both sides, r&r/repl

331424 bushings (both) guide lower control arm
Old 07-13-2006, 11:35 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by davidhung78
When you guys say "shimmy" are you talking about tram-lining? Like when the tire treads follow the rain grooves on the highways? Or are you talking about the car physically shaking/moving left to right at 50-60mph when holding the steering wheel firmly? Or is it when you are going high speeds and you hit a bump while in a turn? Sorry for the dumb question, but hopefully this just means I haven't shared the same problem.
Steering wheel rapidly oscillating side to side at certain speeds.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:03 AM

CLS55
I had the same exact problem on my 540 w/ 245/40/18's in front. Hunter Roadforce balancing did the trick. Its a common problem on that car and the solution is in the balancing machine. use this site to find a location near you....

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm
Old 07-14-2006, 08:22 AM

S211 AMG
as suggested previously try another set of rims and tires. I had a similar problem and just couldn't believe my service tech that tires were the cause. The dealership were kind enough to loan me the front wheels off a car on the lot to prove this and sure enough I ended up replacing them.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
This link may not be entirely relevant, but it contains a lot of information about tyres.
http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html
The sections on high and low points on wheels and tyres and harmonics just might hold some answers - particularly if the dots are still on the tyres.

I would put on another set of wheels and tyres to help sort out the problem.