Sponsored by:

*** $1,500 CF Airbox with HP benefits ***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20+ to list......
Looks great!!! When can I expect to see mine @ my doorsteps?
Old 12-18-2006, 11:45 AM

slk55, 530i, z4
vrus~ Can I use this for my slk55 ? You mentioned all other 55s but not slk55...If I can, I want it.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:51 AM

dont quote me on this but I am pretty sure that the air box is only for factory supercharged 55 cars.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:16 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
They have my car right now doing the test fitting. Its a 4 - 6 weeks of production time once they confirm fitment.. I am trying to get them to break the production into lots of 10 units instead of waiting until all 33 are done and shipping at once.

If I can arrange this, then as each 10 units are complete, they will ship them to me, I'll turn around and send them right out in the same order that the group R&D was formed.

I saw it in person for the first time today... HOLY CRAP!!!! Those pictures are garbage in comparison to what this looks like in real life.. It has a super glossy, SILKY SMOOTH finish.. It feels like its been waxed 100 times.

Once they are done doing the fitment on my car, I am going to try and grab some high res VIDEO of this installed on my car so you can get a better idea of what it looks like.

I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL YOU GUYS GET THESE THINGS IN YOUR HANDS!! You are gonna die when you see it!!!

NOTE: For those who asked.. These only work on the 55 KOMPRESSOR cars (that I know of).. For the 55 N/A cars, FOR NOW, I am not sure.. I have to look at the SLK55, C55 and the others and see what the engine layout looks like to know for sure.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Received 514 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by vrus
Ok... As a suggestion from Rock, I decided to start a new thread to discuss this.

The idea is to create a 100% pure carbon fiber airbox with a similar design to the Renntech box that is sold for $3,800. Renntech claims that their box adds 15 - 20hp.

This is going on my car as well so I guarantee that the product will be perfect otherwise I wont want it for myself let alone allow someone else to buy it.

What I am proposing..........................

Let's see what we can do as a collective community.
Vic, just reminding you who's at the top of the food chain.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:10 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
David... Buddy... I know who is who... LOL.. Thanks for keeping me honest.. I didn't forget that you helped get the wheels turning..

Once the guys confirm the fitment and myself and them are happy with the way it fits I'll go down the list from top to bottom and ask everyone to submit the remainder of the funds.. That will lock in your build allocation.. If someone on the list is unavailable or can't submit, then they will get bumped by the next person in line... It's the only fair way I can think of to do this.. I'll use the order of the receiving of the deposits to start and we'll go from there.

Here is the list in terms of deposit submission that I have:

- Rock
- catalystkid
- vader
- Fleebee
- Kev04C320
- rboorgu
- Kens-E55
- Jakpro1
- MACHC5
- GTA23109a
- stevebez
- Loren
- oblax4
- Mad TKD
- ENDSMTG
- jparch
- JAY55
- e55 killer
- dsc
- W211E55
- mstenberg
- Apple '55
- Griffin337
- bfnnrgn
- e55 baller
- 2MANYCARS
- Jangy
- efivefive
- Akara1
- GhettoDreams
- mbamg06e55
- clum553946
- theboogers

Standby List:

- PDC
- BenzGal
- jmf003
- dragonAMG

Anyone else that wants a spot in line please reply and let me know..

Originally Posted by Rock
Vic, just reminding you who's at the top of the food chain.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
David... Buddy... I know who is who... LOL.. Thanks for ..

Once the guys confirm ...the deposits to start and we'll go from there.

Here is the list in terms of deposit submission that I have:

- Rock
- catalystkid
- vader
- Fleebee
- Kev04C320
- rboorgu
- Kens-E55
- Jakpro1
- MACHC5 -
- Apple '55 (still chas'n Kens-E55 performance!! )
- ....................theboogers

Anyone else that wants a spot in line please reply and let me know..

Yippee-e-e-e-e
I'm in the first run of 10
Can you tell Victor that I'm excited!!!

Last edited by Kens-E55; 12-18-2006 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:35 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Ken.. I know everyone's jaws will drop to the ground when they hold this thing in their hands and get a look at it in person... all the tiny details that aren't apparent in a photo you will love once you get to see it....

I was holding it in my palm and it must weigh about 2lbs in TOTAL (if that)!!!

Originally Posted by Kens-E55
Yippee-e-e-e-e
I'm in the first run of 10
Can you tell Victor that I'm excited!!!
Old 12-18-2006, 02:37 PM

Hey Vrus? Do you have a % of increase in air volume for this box or a dimension increase?

BTW ..I am still waiting on the dealer for the install of the TB. Had to order gaskets for the SC. Should be ready today
Old 12-18-2006, 02:42 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I dont have the specifics... I sent an email asking for any hard data they could provide.. I'll wait for a response.

Originally Posted by Mad TKD
Hey Vrus? Do you have a % of increase in air volume for this box or a dimension increase?

BTW ..I am still waiting on the dealer for the install of the TB. Had to order gaskets for the SC. Should be ready today
Old 12-18-2006, 02:50 PM

E55
Not to put the cart in front of the horse.. But Has a decision been made on the front engine cover? That thing is going to be so nice with the full set up!! Thanks again for all your time and effort!!
Old 12-18-2006, 02:51 PM

2004 E55
Hey guys on a side note not to take away from the excitement of the airbox, but i wanted to wish and congratulate VRUS on his soon to come new edition, or maybe has already arrived edition to his family.

Vrus my wishes and prayers go out to you and your family and hope you have a healthy wonderful beautiful new ball of joy!

Congrats V!

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-18-2006, 03:04 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Yup!!! We are now working on the CF Air Tubes and connectors that go in the grill.. After those are done, the CF engine cover is coming..

I am waiting for a price estimate for the tubes (similar to the pics I posted a few pages back).. I'll let you guys know the price and then those that want them can send in their deposits.

Originally Posted by Griffin337
Not to put the cart in front of the horse.. But Has a decision been made on the front engine cover? That thing is going to be so nice with the full set up!! Thanks again for all your time and effort!!
Thanks buddy!!!! Much appreciated!! The little one isn't here YET, but is due today or tomorrow so it's a busy week.. LOL..

I really appreciate the thoughts and prayers! All the best to you as well. We'll get together soon for some food & drink.

Originally Posted by bleek
Hey guys on a side note not to take away from the excitement of the airbox, but i wanted to wish and congratulate VRUS on his soon to come new edition, or maybe has already arrived edition to his family.

Vrus my wishes and prayers go out to you and your family and hope you have a healthy wonderful beautiful new ball of joy!

Congrats V!

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-18-2006, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
an early congrats on the baby to come.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
WOW...man you better get your stuff done NOW...because you aren't gonna have a whole lotta time OR sleep real soon !!! Congrats !!!
Old 12-18-2006, 06:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
Originally Posted by vader
WOW...man you better get your stuff done NOW...because you aren't gonna have a whole lotta time OR sleep real soon !!! Congrats !!!
+1 on that!!
Old 12-19-2006, 06:25 PM

'03 E55
I would like to be on the wait list

Thanks,

Tony
Old 12-21-2006, 04:35 PM

E55
The suspense is killing me.. Any updates?? And pics of it on the car? I know everyone is busy with the holidays and all.. And im sure you busy with your new bundle of joy.. BTW. Congrats!
Old 12-22-2006, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Yup!!! We are now working on the CF Air Tubes and connectors that go in the grill.. After those are done, the CF engine cover is coming..

I am waiting for a price estimate for the tubes (similar to the pics I posted a few pages back).. I'll let you guys know the price and then those that want them can send in their deposits.

Thanks buddy!!!! Much appreciated!! The little one isn't here YET, but is due today or tomorrow so it's a busy week.. LOL..

I really appreciate the thoughts and prayers! All the best to you as well. We'll get together soon for some food & drink.
Victor,

I hope your wife and little one are doing well. Congratulations.

Lou
Old 12-22-2006, 07:58 PM
JR1
Almost a Member!

Funny how both the renntech airbox and this airbox suffer from the same rear airfilter retaining bolt problem. Renntech didn't realize that the shoulder of the retaining bolt would hit the cf intake and by copying their's you fell under the same problem. You get a 1/10 for originality.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by JR1
Funny how both the renntech airbox and this airbox suffer from the same rear airfilter retaining bolt problem. Renntech didn't realize that the shoulder of the retaining bolt would hit the cf intake and by copying their's you fell under the same problem. You get a 1/10 for originality.
Uh, I don't get it.

Victor has only one airbox at this point: the prototype, which is being fitted to his car. I don't see any post other than yours mentioning a problem with an air filter retaining bolt but if there is a problem, it can be corrected before the production run.

Re: giving Victor a 1/10 for originality, that is just plain silly. His work on the airbox alone is remarkable, let alone his overall efforts in 55K engine tuning.

BTW, Victor, congrats on the impending arrival. The birth of a child is one of life's most incredible events. Enjoy it!
Old 12-23-2006, 10:49 AM
MNG

Audi's, a whole bunch of them
Originally Posted by JR1
i think you need to get your facts straight, VRUS never ordered the airbox, if i remeber correctly he was refunded the money because it was taking too long from renntech to get the airbox.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:53 AM

2003 porsche 996tt Ruf, 2005 SL55 Renntech
OK please put me on the wait list
thanks
steve
Old 12-23-2006, 05:33 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Thanks everyone for the well wishes. My new baby boy was born on Dec. 19th at 6:29pm. He is doing great.. Now I just need to go out and find a good racing seat for him.. LOL..

----------------

Now, onto the airbox business at hand:

Fitment Update: Everything went well.. The piece lines up great and everything looks perfect. This airbox was made to fit both the stock TB and my 80mm TB (or any other 80mm TB).. The way this is accomplished is by using a small rubber insert adapter. On a stock TB car, there is a rubber insert that is already part of the Y-pipe.. That rubber insert is simply removed from the stock Y-pipe and inserted into the 80mm inlet of the airbox and it slides right on the stock TB.

On a car with my Generation I 80mm TB (the inlet with the 3/8" adapter plate), the airbox inlet has to be bored out a bit more (we made a pretty thick wall on the opening for just this purpose) and new special rubber insert put in there. Since the 80mm Y-pipe uses an O-Ring to seal the Y-pipe to the TB, we are having these rubber inserts made for the airbox and will be supplied with the kit if you have this TB kit. The reason for this modification is because of the 3/8" plate and the fact that there are tolerances in the hand welding that was done, if the plate is not perfectly square to the opening (skewed), it will not go into the opening, hence the need for a rubber piece.

On a car with my Generation II 80mm TB kit (1-piece style inlet without plate), there is no need for any modification. The airbox slides right onto the 80mm TB..

The reason I am explaining all of this to you is because my car has my Gen I kit (with plate). We cant modify this box and install it on my car just yet because we still need to verify fitment on a stock car.. So.. I am trying to work out to borrow a stock E55 to do the fitment on.. If everything is ok, then the airbox will be modified and installed on my car and we'll start production.. I am trying to arrange for this to happen just after christmas.

-------------------

Hey Tony.. I added your name. Thanks for the interest!

Originally Posted by m3tonyh@verizon
I would like to be on the wait list

Thanks,

Tony
Not really sure what you are referring to but my airbox has NO issue with retaining bolts because I am supply my own custom bolts to go with the airbox just like I do with my TB kit.. I hate those cheap factory bolts that they use so I am using some better quality stuff.. I've seen 2 factory bolts snap already on my car and that was enough for me to decide to ditch them.

BTW.. I've never seen or held a Renntech airbox in my hands so I can assure you there is no copying to be done... The airflow engineers used a CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) software program to figure out the shape and volume issues. This helped them to create the shapes of the air baffles and directional vanes which you cannot see in those pics. This was no mickey mouse project that was slapped together.. Alot of thought and research and prep went into making it what it is.

The closest I came to a Renntech airbox was seeing some high res pictures that Lou was kind enough to send me (which are posted on this thread). Believe me if you held my airbox in your hand and the Renntech airbox in the other hand you would be hard-pressed to see a carbon copy.

My airbox is pure CF through and through.. My airbox has heat resistant material impregnated in the weave.. My airbox has smooth radiused bends with no square edges anywhere.. You cant see these little details in the pics because everything is black and dark CF.. I could go on and on, but that gives you an idea of my position.

Lastly, the overall shape of the airbox is governed by the obstructions and shapes of the pieces that surround it in the engine bay. To explain a bit, the bottom airbox pieces govern the overall width and length of the airbox.. The firewall surrounding the engine govern the radiuses and bends. The hood governs the height.. Get the picture now?

Of course the 2 airboxes are SIMILAR shape.. They have to be since they both use the stock bottom airboxes to start with and both are 1 piece designs.. Take the 2 pictures and put them side by side and do some detail comparisons and you'll begin to see where I am coming from.

Originally Posted by JR1
Thanks for the support John! I dont blame him for saying what he did.. If he hasnt followed the thread and hasnt looked at the pics in detail, I can see how someone would draw his conclusions. In the end, I only care that you guys are happy. Don't really care about what the peanut gallery has to say.

Originally Posted by jmf003
Uh, I don't get it.

Victor has only one airbox at this point: the prototype, which is being fitted to his car. I don't see any post other than yours mentioning a problem with an air filter retaining bolt but if there is a problem, it can be corrected before the production run.

Re: giving Victor a 1/10 for originality, that is just plain silly. His work on the airbox alone is remarkable, let alone his overall efforts in 55K engine tuning.

BTW, Victor, congrats on the impending arrival. The birth of a child is one of life's most incredible events. Enjoy it!
Exactly! Thanks for bringing that up.. After waiting more than 3 months for a Renntech airbox I had to battle with the distributor to refund my CC payment since Visa wouldnt do anything for me. After seeing Lou's pics that's when I decided I made a huge mistake ordering it and went after my refund.

Originally Posted by MNG
i think you need to get your facts straight, VRUS never ordered the airbox, if i remeber correctly he was refunded the money because it was taking too long from renntech to get the airbox.
A fellow 6speeder.. No problem.. Got your name down!! Thanks!

Originally Posted by sporters78
OK please put me on the wait list
thanks
steve
Old 12-25-2006, 01:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Hey Victor, would it be possible for you to put me in touch with the "owners" of this box once we get our first round? I would be interested in buying it from them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: *** $1,500 CF Airbox with HP benefits ***