Sponsored by:

ESP off!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E55, R33 GTR, R33 GTS-t
ESP off!

Well ive just come back from probably the first real good thrashing ive been able to give my car, and im still chuckling away!

She'd just past 2000km old and i was in one of those moods. We found a stretch of highway and found top speed pretty easy. That was fun. Not as much fun as we had playing around with the tail with the ESP off! I was surprised at how much it let me play before intervening, around one sharp corner i came around with a full turn of opposite lock, i only realised at the last second when i thought i was pointing the car straight "wait this doesnt feel right, but the wheel looks straight!" before quickly unwinding it!

Now im thinking due to the amount of fun thats to be had sliding this big a$$ car, first mod should be a decent LSD for even more predictable fun!

Damn, new found respect for what i was beginning to think was a bit soft in anything but a straight line
Old 07-18-2006, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Get the Quaife LSD
Old 07-18-2006, 12:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
2020 E63S
I haven't even gotten my car yet (got to sell my current ride first), but I am already making the mod list!

Can you tell me how much the Q LSD is, the best place to get it, and roughly how much install was? TIA!! Tim
Old 07-18-2006, 12:13 PM

05 E55, R33 GTR, R33 GTS-t
oh and also, ive seen it posted somewhere before but can someone refresh my memory, how does having the LSD effect the ESP workings, if any effect? Will it make the car more likely to spin out if you tromp it mid corner?
Old 07-18-2006, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
ESP is trying to mimic a mechanical LSD. If you add an LSD, I can't imagine it would cause the spin out more.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Actually, he is correct. Having a LSD locks both the wheels, and with that much torque (and ESP off) the car will kick out easier. When only one of the wheels spin, the car doesn't tend to kick sideways.

LSD will give you straight line traction though, and in the case you start going sideways, it will make throttle steering much easier and predictable.

Either way, 516 ft-lbs will make any vehicle go crazy.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
A LSD doesn't lock both wheels but mechanically sends power to the side that has the most traction.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by newton22
Actually, he is correct. Having a LSD locks both the wheels, and with that much torque (and ESP off) the car will kick out easier. When only one of the wheels spin, the car doesn't tend to kick sideways.

LSD will give you straight line traction though, and in the case you start going sideways, it will make throttle steering much easier and predictable.

Either way, 516 ft-lbs will make any vehicle go crazy.
I have a different viewpoint here....

After having used the quaife at the road course (in a high power W203) the car is 10x more controlled than before. Powering out of corners is the most simplistic thing where i was a train wreck before. The diff keeps the car in line because it send power to the outside wheel when the inside slips there by allowing the car to power out and not go sideways.

In any car you will have a point at which you over stress the tires and then yes the car will go sideways. Without an LSD you are trying to catch a slide that has un-even power application to slipping wheels. You end of roasting the inside rear tire and just smoking the outside a little bit and that makes catching the slide a real hand full.

With the LSD you can go squeeze the gas get the rear to drift a slight bit and hold it there with throttle application as you leave a corner. It is an amazing piece of equipment and something all AMG cars need from the factory IMHO.

The car is safer and easier to drive. Hands down.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32

After having used the quaife at the road course (in a high power W203) the car is 10x more controlled than before. Powering out of corners is the most simplistic thing where i was a train wreck before. The diff keeps the car in line because it send power to the outside wheel when the inside slips there by allowing the car to power out and not go sideways.

In any car you will have a point at which you over stress the tires and then yes the car will go sideways. Without an LSD you are trying to catch a slide that has un-even power application to slipping wheels. You end of roasting the inside rear tire and just smoking the outside a little bit and that makes catching the slide a real hand full.

With the LSD you can go squeeze the gas get the rear to drift a slight bit and hold it there with throttle application as you leave a corner. It is an amazing piece of equipment and something all AMG cars need from the factory IMHO.

Agreed!! I'm kinda glad I don't have the AMG one, since I will be getting the quaffe very soon....
Old 07-18-2006, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32

Your viewpoint wasn't different actually. Like I stated, LSD makes the control easier and more predictable.

I don't know for E55 owners, but do you guys ever get the feeling ESP sometimes has a mind of its own? Once you get used to LSD, its locking percentage isn't going to change midway on the roadcourse.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:40 PM

'10 E63 AMG
Question about the LSD

If you have the LSD, do you always drive with the ESP turned off? Or, if you have the LSD, does the ESP not come on to de-power you when you stomp on it? You guys with the LSD, how do you drive - with ESP on or off? I am going to get the Quaife LSD, but need to educate myself first.

Originally Posted by arcticfox
Can you tell me how much the Q LSD is, the best place to get it, and roughly how much install was? TIA!! Tim
Here's the link for the Quaife LSD:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/154948-re-quaife-atb-diff.html

Last edited by oblax4; 07-18-2006 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by oblax4
If you have the LSD, do you always drive with the ESP turned off? Or, if you have the LSD, does the ESP not come on to de-power you when you stomp on it? You guys with the LSD, how do you drive - with ESP on or off? I am going to get the Quaife LSD, but need to educate myself first.
From what I am gathering, you leave the ESP on and it happens to take over LESS, since you are not putting power to a loose wheel. I was originally looking into the AMG type LSD and that is what i observed. I do not know the deal with the quaffe.