intake air temp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
intake air temp

So I got my data logger and was interested in what the E55 cars have for Intake air temp.

Mine fluctuates from 42C+to high 50C. This is during the day time with heat near 95 degrees F. Obviously the high temps are at full throttle.

At night it was from 32C to high 40C. Temp during the night was in the high 60s F.

btw I'm using the Scanlogic and I love the small size. I just attached it to a small suction cup and have it on my left hand side windshield.

*posting here cuz your cars are supercharged.*
Old 07-21-2006, 12:51 AM

Family Sedan w/5.5 K
Originally Posted by Jesseliu
So I got my data logger and was interested in what the E55 cars have for Intake air temp.

Mine fluctuates from 42C+to high 50C. This is during the day time with heat near 95 degrees F. Obviously the high temps are at full throttle.

At night it was from 32C to high 40C. Temp during the night was in the high 60s F.

btw I'm using the Scanlogic and I love the small size. I just attached it to a small suction cup and have it on my left hand side windshield.

*posting here cuz your cars are supercharged.*
Have you wrapped the intake tubes and the air box with heat shield wrapping? I just did this minor mod on my car and it really helps.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
pics

got a picture your intake and airbox with the heatshield wrapping?

thanks,
Old 07-21-2006, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by 1mean55
Have you wrapped the intake tubes and the air box with heat shield wrapping? I just did this minor mod on my car and it really helps.
How much more horsepower did you get on the dyno?
Old 07-21-2006, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 561 Likes on 371 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Doesn't someone make intake spacers for the 55K engine? Evosport maybe? My best friend had them installed on his '03 E55 and they helped keep temps down.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
Doesn't someone make intake spacers for the 55K engine? Evosport maybe? My best friend had them installed on his '03 E55 and they helped keep temps down.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:50 PM

Family Sedan w/5.5 K
Originally Posted by MB_Steve
I've enclosed the link to site which explains how to install the heat shields. It is very effective, especially teamed up with a pair of K&N's. I dont know about horsepower gain because I havn't dynoed, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's only a few ponies. However, the real benefit is it makes the beast alot more consistent and still has a crisp throttle, even on very hot days (today being one of those days 96F).

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...intake+cooling

Also, the intake spacer (or whatever it's called) by Evosport is an entirely different product. I think, it shields the heat from the lower to the upper intake manifold.

Good Luck if you decide to do the heat shield wrap. Well worth the time and the <$100 investment.

P.S. Cylinder head, wrong site, but a cute car. A few mods and you might be able to keep up with the C32 club.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by 1mean55
I've enclosed the link to site which explains how to install the heat shields. It is very effective, especially teamed up with a pair of K&N's. I dont know about horsepower gain because I havn't dynoed, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's only a few ponies. However, the real benefit is it makes the beast alot more consistent and still has a crisp throttle, even on very hot days (today being one of those days 96F).

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...intake+cooling

Also, the intake spacer (or whatever it's called) by Evosport is an entirely different product. I think, it shields the heat from the lower to the upper intake manifold.

Good Luck if you decide to do the heat shield wrap. Well worth the time and the <$100 investment.

P.S. Cylinder head, wrong site, but a cute car. A few mods and you might be able to keep up with the C32 club.
thanks. On a scale of 1 to 10, where would you rank the difficulty of doing this mod. 10 being receommended only for certfied mechanics...
Old 07-21-2006, 08:38 PM

Family Sedan w/5.5 K
On a scale of 1-10 it's a 4, pretty easy. All you have to do is pop off the intake tubes, unscrew the top off the intake box, and pop off the the bottom portion of the intake box. Then it's a matter of cutting the heat shield to fit and tieing or pasting it on. Then reassemble.

You can get the heatshield from Jeggs.com.

One of the guys who tried it claimed upto a 2 tenths drop in his 1/4 mi time (more realisticly 1/10 drop).