Sponsored by:

For Sale.. Stock Crank Pulley ..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
For Sale.. Stock Crank Pulley ..

Well Today was the big day. I installed the ASP Pulley. It took about 2 - 2.5 hours.. And good thing i bought the dayco belt because the one that it came with didnt fit!! But I guess we all knew that.. Everything went pretty smooth.. But it was ALOT easier since i had the car on a lift. The car is noticably faster.. It put a real grin on my face.. I wasnt hammering it to much ... I will let it adjust for a few miles ... So anyone considering the ASP pulley as far as i can tell it seems good.. and If you have some mechanical abilites and various tools i would say go for it!!
Old 07-22-2006, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55
Originally Posted by Griffin337
Well Today was the big day. I installed the ASP Pulley. It took about 2 - 2.5 hours.. And good thing i bought the dayco belt because the one that it came with didnt fit!! But I guess we all knew that.. Everything went pretty smooth.. But it was ALOT easier since i had the car on a lift. The car is noticably faster.. It put a real grin on my face.. I wasnt hammering it to much ... I will let it adjust for a few miles ... So anyone considering the ASP pulley as far as i can tell it seems good.. and If you have some mechanical abilites and various tools i would say go for it!!
Awesome news. You are on your way to becoming a horsepower addict, it all starts with a simple pulley swap.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:29 PM

Donate it to Victor. I'm sure he can find someone to weld on a larger diameter belt track for less than $500. Then he can sell it to someone else, get their stock pulley, and then go again. Besides, his To-Do list is looking a little sparse.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Received 515 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
............and just when we thought the "Grump" had no sense of humor.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Griffin...describe the job for me...I have pulled a hundred balancers but these guys are scaring me with the MB unit !!! Did you pull the radiator ??? What did you use to actually pull the dampener off ? My Renntech parts are in the trunk and I was going to bring it to the dealer...but this can't be too hard of an instal but I would rather not bust up a crank snout in the process.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:47 AM

E55
Originally Posted by vader
Griffin...describe the job for me...I have pulled a hundred balancers but these guys are scaring me with the MB unit !!! Did you pull the radiator ??? What did you use to actually pull the dampener off ? My Renntech parts are in the trunk and I was going to bring it to the dealer...but this can't be too hard of an instal but I would rather not bust up a crank snout in the process.
Ok .. Here goes.. I hope this all makes sense.. And PM me your email address and i will send you pics.. Im doing a friends car today so im going to take more pics as well..

Let me first start by saying that this job would have been a lot harder if i didnt have access to a lift.. Its all pretty straight forward.. The hardest parts are getting the Crank bolt off.. Then getting the pulley to come off... I did everything by hand, the only way i could have seen to get an impact in there was to take out atleast the fan.. I didnt remove anything from the car.. except the parts that i swapped or the underbody panels to get access..

To lock the flywheel to get the bolt off i just used a big prybar to make sure it wasnt going to move.. Then just muscled off the bolt. Next to get the actual pulley off i just carefully used a couple of screw drivers and SLOWLY pried it off.. It wasnt to bad just took a little time .. Getting the new pulley back on was a snap. It lined back up very easily ... I was worried that was going to be harder than it was based on what i have read.. But there was nothing to it.. PM any questions or if you want the pics..
Old 07-23-2006, 02:13 PM

2004 S55 AMG
hey Griffin can you send those pic to me also. Where did you get the pullies from? I think I will be doing it myself also.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:51 PM

E55
Originally Posted by Shaun
hey Griffin can you send those pic to me also. Where did you get the pullies from? I think I will be doing it myself also.

PM me your email and i will send them..

2nd car is done.. Much eaiser than the first.. It was done comeplete in an hour.. THe only problem on the 2nd car was that it was hot.. I had to let the crank shaft cool so the new pulley would slide on .. Other than that. Piece of cake.. I will let you know about where i got the pullies tomorrow.. I was having a small problem with them and wont recommend anyone to do buisiness with them unless they take care of me..

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2006, 04:44 PM

2004 S55 AMG
PM sent. Thanks
Old 07-23-2006, 06:20 PM

CLS55 AMG
Were you not concerned with your A/F dropping off after the change to more boost? It seemed everyone recommend getting it dyno'd before and after to ensure you do not need to retune your ECU.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:52 PM

E55
Originally Posted by BlackCard
Were you not concerned with your A/F dropping off after the change to more boost? It seemed everyone recommend getting it dyno'd before and after to ensure you do not need to retune your ECU.

I dynoed before to make sure everything was good.. And it was.. im going to redyno next weekend.. Not only did i want to make sure my A/F was good but i wanted to see how much hp i gained..
Old 07-23-2006, 07:24 PM

'06 E55 Black/Charcoal
What did you gain? Did the AFR lean out or did the ECU adjust?
Old 07-23-2006, 09:06 PM

E55
Originally Posted by BIG LUV
What did you gain? Did the AFR lean out or did the ECU adjust?

I will let you know.. If its not to hot next sat im going to take it and get it dynoed..
Old 07-23-2006, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Aw hell I though you needed a puller/installer with this balancer !!! What did you torque the bolt to ?
Old 07-23-2006, 10:57 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
That bolt needs to be torqued to 240lb/ft from what I remember, and then you have to do a 90dg stretch on it. (dont remember the exact figures but I know it is a torque & stretch process).

If you didnt do this exact procedure, the crankshaft pulley could loosen itself off and cause alot of damage.

Crank pullies are the one thing that I always say to leave to the pros. Unless you know exactly what you are doing and have experience, its a dangerous thing to do on your own.

Kudos to you if you did it... I'm too chicken to do it myself..
Old 07-24-2006, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Hey Griffin...Honestly do you feel any power difference with just pulley swap ???

Make sure post your new numbers and PM sent
Old 07-24-2006, 09:46 AM

E55
Originally Posted by vader
Aw hell I though you needed a puller/installer with this balancer !!! What did you torque the bolt to ?

I torqued the bolt to 200+.. I will recheck it after i put some miles on it.. But i cant imagine it going anywhere..

As long as you can lock the flywheel.. Which you have easy access to .. the pully bolt comes off pretty easy.. You do have to muscle it.. and as long as you have the keyway lined up it goes on just as easy.. Just make sure the car is COOL.. The second time i did it the car was warm and the crank shaft had expanded with the heat.. I had to wait for it to cool before i could get the new one back on...
Old 07-24-2006, 09:49 AM

E55
Originally Posted by vrus
That bolt needs to be torqued to 240lb/ft from what I remember, and then you have to do a 90dg stretch on it. (dont remember the exact figures but I know it is a torque & stretch process).

If you didnt do this exact procedure, the crankshaft pulley could loosen itself off and cause alot of damage.

Crank pullies are the one thing that I always say to leave to the pros. Unless you know exactly what you are doing and have experience, its a dangerous thing to do on your own.

I just really like doing it myself.. I will keep an eye on it to make sure nothing comes loose. But its on there..
Old 07-24-2006, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Griffin...you should off raced you buddy with stock pullies prior to his installation, so you could really tell us the if it make much difference on the street...
Old 07-24-2006, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by vrus

The 200 is in Nm you have to convert to ft lb. Which is about 148 ft lb and then turn 90 degrees. To convert Nm * .737 = Ft lbs.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:19 AM

E55
Originally Posted by M5 RUS
Griffin...you should off raced you buddy with stock pullies prior to his installation, so you could really tell us the if it make much difference on the street...

I thought about that.. But i didnt want to get on it to much until i got to the dyno.. And he didnt want to wait..

HE isnt as cautious as me and he hammered his as soon as we were doing.. It is awesome!! Tires just went up in smoke.. But even on a non tire smoking pull .. The car pulls alot harder.. The butt dyno likes!!
Old 07-25-2006, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Originally Posted by Griffin337
HE isnt as cautious as me and he hammered his as soon as we were doing.. It is awesome!! Tires just went up in smoke.. But even on a non tire smoking pull .. The car pulls alot harder.. The butt dyno likes!!

OMG I need to get them Urgently !!!