W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay, who's willing to try my crazy idea????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Okay, who's willing to try my crazy idea????

Tried out the new Skin Tag freezer thingy from Dr Schols the other day. (Guess it's for warts, but what the hell)

Holy crap, this thing just FREEZES your skin solid man. Comes in a small aerisol can.

Anyway, I am in the shower today and WHAM it hits me, what if I could use this stuff just spray the front of the intercooler for dyno runs or just before I run at the track.

Guess the 2 questions I need to research are

1) Is it just an NO2 mixture (must be some other gas that gets super cold or kids would be doing whippets like mad people)

2) Does it have any medicine in it that could damage the intercooler or something. I just wonder if it's a can of N02 or other gas that freezes on mixing with air.

If this works, it could freeze the intercooler just enough to really bring down the temps for the motor to kick some serious A$$.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Okay, hold up a second before someone dies on my behalf.

Here are the ingredients of the bottle.

Dimethly Ether, Propane, Isobutane.

Okay, so maybe not the best idea
, BUT this leads me to another one.

Can we buy little cans of whippets anymore or have the college kids pretty much wrapped that one up for us.

Would love to just spray the intercooler with a can or something and throw it on the dyno after with rigging up an internal system.

Thanks for any ideas.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Tried out the new Skin Tag freezer thingy from Dr Schols the other day. (Guess it's for warts, but what the hell)

Holy crap, this thing just FREEZES your skin solid man. Comes in a small aerisol can.

Anyway, I am in the shower today and WHAM it hits me, what if I could use this stuff just spray the front of the intercooler for dyno runs or just before I run at the track.

Guess the 2 questions I need to research are

1) Is it just an NO2 mixture (must be some other gas that gets super cold or kids would be doing whippets like mad people)

2) Does it have any medicine in it that could damage the intercooler or something. I just wonder if it's a can of N02 or other gas that freezes on mixing with air.

If this works, it could freeze the intercooler just enough to really bring down the temps for the motor to kick some serious A$$.

...........you can actually buy dry ice from an ice cream shop and use it to rapidly cool your engine.

Ted
Old 07-23-2006, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 e55
Okay, hold up a second before someone dies on my behalf.

Here are the ingredients of the bottle.

Dimethly Ether, Propane, Isobutane.

Okay, so maybe not the best idea
, BUT this leads me to another one.

Can we buy little cans of whippets anymore or have the college kids pretty much wrapped that one up for us.

Would love to just spray the intercooler with a can or something and throw it on the dyno after with rigging up an internal system.

Thanks for any ideas.
generally, the dermatologist use liquid nitrogen for the same purpose.this is probably what is in there;the other ingredients i am not sure of though.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
How bout something like this???

http://www.pollardwater.com/EMarket/...%20Freezer.asp

Hey Ted, If I did do the dry ice thing, (Local Walmart has a cooler of it right in front), could I place it right on the super charger. (Course I would need some type of bag to store it in) They must make something at Summit Racing.

Think there's been lots of posts on this one already, but any possible damage by super cooling the top of the blower with dry ice.

Wonder about cracking something.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
guys a common mod that some Supra owners use is small paintball gun air tank canisters... that are loaded with CO2... you run plastic pressure line and at the intercooler you run a copper pipe with lots of holes drilled in it... CO2 freezes the intercooler...

you could ALSO use a Nitrous express Ntercooler kit, which is a nitrous cooling system for intercoolers...
Old 07-23-2006, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
NX's Ntercooler is your answer to freeze the intercooler.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Wonder if I can rig up one for portable use.

Would need a 12 volt power source of course.

Why do I have the image in my head of the starter at the track shaking his head as I slump over with my frost bit hands.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Received 514 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Okay Jim, this is what I'm thinking. You buy a large refrigerated milk truck and the E55 stays stored inside. You then cruise the streets and track for unsuspecting prey while never having to worry about heat-sink.

I can see it now, a M5 and your milk truck pull up to a traffic light. You look over and inflame the proud M5 owner with a thumbs down. While he is pushing an array of buttons (P500, LC, TC etc) getting ready to show you who is boss, you are backing your E55 out of the truck. When the light turns green you unleash all 600 very cool hp. Game over, another crushing defeat for your opponent.

Yeah it might sound a little crazy but we were talking Dr. Scholl's, right????

Old 07-23-2006, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
How bout something like this???

http://www.pollardwater.com/EMarket/...%20Freezer.asp

Hey Ted, If I did do the dry ice thing, (Local Walmart has a cooler of it right in front), could I place it right on the super charger. (Course I would need some type of bag to store it in) They must make something at Summit Racing.

Think there's been lots of posts on this one already, but any possible damage by super cooling the top of the blower with dry ice.

Wonder about cracking something.
............the liquid nitrogen just vaporizes so no liquid phase to wet the track. No bag or container is needed ther than coooler to stre it. I know it is allowed at the drag strip while ice bags are not. I don't know about cracking something from too rapid a cooling.

Ted
Old 07-23-2006, 12:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
LOL, Rock's idea is about the only one that I would even CONSIDER.

I do not know what the contents of the bottle are, BUT if they really are organics WATCH OUT!! Any xxxanol is going to be wicked volatile.

Dry ice has no liquid phase under ambient pressures. In a tank, yes it can be a liquid.

If you guys REALLY want to make a psycho mod that does the job, there is a protocol for making a "slurry" to FLASH freeze liquids that we "old" school chemists use. Keep in mind, that liquids do NOT crystalize under flash freezing (if done properly) and so they don't expand. This is often critical when modulating the heat exchange of a system.

-the slurry is a simple mix of dry ice and ANY liquid that does not freeze at that temp. Typically, a cheap organic solvent can be used. You may can even try your Foot Stuff. Next, we have to contain the organics.
-you basically build a contained system (reservoir with tubing) that will hold and cycle the slurry.
-next, you wrap the engine components that you want cooled with the tubing that has the slurry IN it.

A good slurry will easily last an hour. You basically flush the system out when its done and fill with fresh slurry.
Be sure that anything that comes into contact with dry ice can handle the temp. A plastic bag can NOT. Dry ice is very cold.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:46 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Jim,

I have to say that is the most original idea I've heard in a long time !!

I dont know if it will work, but you get an A+ for creativity!!
Old 07-23-2006, 01:47 PM

How do you gain access to the intercooler coils to spray them?
Old 07-23-2006, 02:48 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
You can take off the 2 intake manifolds and all the airbox assemblies.. That will give you enough room to route a tube down below and point it at the intercooler. There isnt much room to manouver around but enough that you could get a line & jet in there.

Originally Posted by Grumpy666
How do you gain access to the intercooler coils to spray them?
Old 07-23-2006, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Okay Jim, this is what I'm thinking. You buy a large refrigerated milk truck and the E55 stays stored inside. You then cruise the streets and track for unsuspecting prey while never having to worry about heat-sink.

I can see it now, a M5 and your milk truck pull up to a traffic light. You look over and inflame the proud M5 owner with a thumbs down. While he is pushing an array of buttons (P500, LC, TC etc) getting ready to show you who is boss, you are backing your E55 out of the truck. When the light turns green you unleash all 600 very cool hp. Game over, another crushing defeat for your opponent.

Now that was good.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 559 Likes on 369 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by Rock

Only if he has the Spy Hunter theme song playing while he backs out of the truck.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by jangy

-the slurry is a simple mix of dry ice and ANY liquid that does not freeze at that temp. Typically, a cheap organic solvent can be used.
Can you give me more info on the fluids that can be mixed with dry ice?

This is the missing part of my water cooling project.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:58 PM

E55 AMG

Now that would be something!!!
Old 07-23-2006, 05:10 PM

05 E500 Wagon
Looking at that very last point (at the bottom) on the front of the box...it looks like it should work out just fine!

Old 07-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Almost a Member!

'04 M3 & '05 645ci
how about this one. remove the intercooler and leave it in your freezer overnight. transport it to the track in an icebox. then, install it and immediately do your run!
Old 07-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre

Old 07-23-2006, 07:57 PM
Banned

AMGs
Old 07-23-2006, 08:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
has anyone done alcohol injection on an E55?
Old 07-23-2006, 08:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by Jrocket
Can you give me more info on the fluids that can be mixed with dry ice?

This is the missing part of my water cooling project.
Most organic solvents are compatible with the dry ice. you need to be sure to get one that will work with your containment system.

Even high proof ethanol or rubbing alcohol will work.

ADD THE ICE TO THE LIQUID VERY SLOWLY, AS IT WILL BOIL UNTIL THE LIQUID TEMP IS DECREASED. Once the slurry is made, there is a steady boil.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:17 PM

05E55
jackpro,

You are not crazy! I used industrial gum-off (freeze) that janitors used in school on my m3 turbo FMintercooler before each 1/4 run. This was 8 years ago. Worked great but got expensive ($4 a can). The stuff the import guy’s use now is much better and can be sprayed (controlled) from the drivers seat.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Okay, who's willing to try my crazy idea????