Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

•••• FREE S/C Extreme Belt Wrap Kit ••••

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 12:09 PM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
03 E55 AMG
Thumbs up •••• 1st one in will get S/C Belt Wrap Kit free (conditions apply) ••••

After installing an after market large crank pulley I've been getting a lot of trouble with the stock supercharger pulley slipping causing substantial power loss due to the extra RPM generated by the upgrade.

This is not a unique problem to Mercs... so after scanning around the Net, I found a company who specializes in solving s/c slipping issues.

Billet Flow has designed a "Snub idler Kit" that will give extreme belt wrap and will eliminate any or ALL supercharger belt slippage. (see link: http://www.billetflow.com/IdlerBracket.htm )

As I live in Australia, I'm finding it very difficult to drive down to Michigan U.S.A to have one fitted since there is no off the shelf kit yet available for the E55... So... I have chatted with one of the guys at Billet Flow and arranged to have the first one supplied and fitted free of charge to the first dude who P/M's me.

Of course conditions apply... The vehicle must be a 2003 and up E55 with an after market crank pulley up-grade. Thats it! go down to Billet Flow located in Taylor, Michigan and be fitted up, may require a couple of visits to measure and fit etc...

So if your still interested P/M me first and I'll hook you up...

See images below:

-pulley-billet-flow-2.jpg
-pulley3.jpg
-billetflow-pulley.jpg

Last edited by Finny; 07-26-2006 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 biturbo
What pulley are you using and how do you tell if the belt is slipping? Also will the engine be able take the extra boost assuming that the aftermarket ECUs are already mapped for that boost level?
Old 07-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
After installing an after market large crank pulley I've been getting a lot of trouble with the stock supercharger pulley slipping causing substantial power loss due to the extra RPM generated by the upgrade.
Are you sure everything else is OK. Check your belt, maybe it is worn or got oil on it somehow.

In many years of my playing with boosted C32s and E55s, belt slippage is not a problem.

Whose crank pulley are you using and how big is it?
Old 07-26-2006, 04:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55
I've had this problem on EVERY supercharged car I've ever owned. (besides the one that used a cog-drive) Blower belts just slip. It's the nature of the beast. So will SOMEONE please go over there and get their kit fabbed up so I can buy one already and be done with it?????
Old 07-26-2006, 07:58 PM
Almost a Member!

Just so you guys know Doug at Billet Flow is an awesome guy. I have an 03 Cobra the stuff he has done for the Cobra community is awesome. If anyone has any worries about him don't.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:36 PM

2014 GL 350 on order
Owners: I live down I-94 from Taylor and have 2 questions:
1. How is belt slip confirmed diagnostically?
2. Did you say free?
As usual I am cornfuzd
Old 07-26-2006, 10:48 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by JokerzWld
For me, it was confirmed by:

1) belt mess all over the front of the motor (rubber bits)
2) when I put VHT (a traction compound used by drag racers) on the belt, I picked up a little over 2 psi of boost.

Only problems with method #2 are that it excellerates belt wear and it makes a real mess out of the front of the motor.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:14 PM

03 E55 AMG
Thumbs up Answers

Originally Posted by JokerzWld
Owners: I live down I-94 from Taylor and have 2 questions:
2. Did you say free?
As usual I am cornfuzd
Diagnostically... well that's easy, just look at the dynos posted around here.
You will notice that some of them will have erratic Power and Air/fuel curves due to this problem.

Just send these guys a p/m and ask them directly.

Also see ***Check your belts*** Thread https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...=1#post1691544

Yes free: The first "Guinea-Pig" will receive the first kit free of any charge, No BS! What's in it for us? Firstly, I get a kit made by a pro (check their site, all high quality stuff and fair prices). Secondly, BilletFlow gets to make and sell many of these kits.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:24 PM

03 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Vadim @ MBLN
Are you sure everything else is OK. Check your belt, maybe it is worn or got oil on it somehow.

In many years of my playing with boosted C32s and E55s, belt slippage is not a problem.

Whose crank pulley are you using and how big is it?
The belt was a brand new gates, no oil or other contaminants, sqell and shredding occurred after a few laps. When you flog the christ out of car up the straight, you will obviously notice.

The boost is around 0.2 to 0.3 bar, fairly standard these days.

All slip occurs at high RPM.

Please see link: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...=1#post1691544
Old 07-26-2006, 11:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by GTA23109a
For me, it was confirmed by:

1) belt mess all over the front of the motor (rubber bits)
2) when I put VHT (a traction compound used by drag racers) on the belt, I picked up a little over 2 psi of boost.

Only problems with method #2 are that it excellerates belt wear and it makes a real mess out of the front of the motor.
Hmmmmm, how do you know that 2 didn't cause 1, too?

I'd like to see some data on this. I was always under the impression that the SC itself is a bit restrictive at top RPMS, which would cause the off A/F ratio. Some members have posted different dyno runs, but those could be explained by a host of things (including electronics). Does anyone feel that they have the data to support the slippage theory? If it turns out to be true, it is an easy fix. If.

Has anyone done a pre and post boost check. if it really adds 2psi, then that is significant, although i don't see where erratic slippage could do that. I say erratic, because i hope nobody thinks that the belts on the beast are just slipping. Also, wouldn't you hear the slipping? Rubbur would burn at that force. Just my ignorant opinion.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:44 PM

03 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jspeed
What pulley are you using and how do you tell if the belt is slipping? Also will the engine be able take the extra boost assuming that the after-market ECUs are already mapped for that boost level?
We are assuming "Any" after-market pulley kit which has their own version of software to suit their own hardware.

These engines are under tuned, very TOUGH and will cop most **** thrown at them.

I don't recommend this update for individuals running a stock set up. AMG got it right the first time...

Please see link: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...=1#post1691544
Old 07-26-2006, 11:56 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
Finny, sorry my friend but you are chasing an non-existant problem.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:58 PM

03 E55 AMG
Smile

Originally Posted by jangy
Has anyone done a pre and post boost check. if it really adds 2psi, then that is significant, although i don't see where erratic slippage could do that. I say erratic, because i hope nobody thinks that the belts on the beast are just slipping. Also, wouldn't you hear the slipping? Rubbur would burn at that force. Just my ignorant opinion.
I don't know if it's actually a 2 psi loss as mentioned by another member. He may have a boost gauge installed...?

I think the evidence is obvious, please check the above links.

If you ***** foot your car around with the occasional stab, you'll most likely notice nothing. But when you flog the **** out of it, you will see, smell and hear. Go do a few laps and see for your self, anyway as I said earlier, this problem is not unique to MB owners.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Looks like a 4.6L S/C motor from a SVT Cobra. I have the same motor in my street/strip car, but with turbo setup, so no belt slippage for me.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Unfortunately, I think you are right. By the way, do you want to collaborate on the sway bars? I have prototypes being made, so we will see soon. i still need the bushings and modified front knucles for camber. I am thinking more to offer the sway bars as a stand alone and let the camber plates develop better. just thoughts....
Old 07-27-2006, 12:04 AM

03 E55 AMG
Hey.. I'm not the only one.

Why did EVO do a pulley update to their existing kit?

Get back to me...
Old 07-27-2006, 12:23 AM
Banned

S600TT, R350
Unfortunately, I think you are right. By the way, do you want to collaborate on the sway bars? I have prototypes being made, so we will see soon. i still need the bushings and modified front knucles for camber. I am thinking more to offer the sway bars as a stand alone and let the camber plates develop better. just thoughts....
Sure, call me on Friday.

Hey.. I'm not the only one.

Why did EVO do a pulley update to their existing kit?

Get back to me...
To increase belt life. 55 kompressor takes 100 + HP to spin.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55

Increase belt life?Whats the expected life span of these belts?It takes 100+hp to spin the SC in stock form?

I'm not sure if the belt slips badly or not on these cars,I havent got that far yet.But for 150 bucks or so,an extra idler cant hurt.That seems like cheap insurance to a possible problem.Especially after seeing what these companies are charging for a set of shorty headers,makes the idler a very cheap helper!

I still cant get over how these companies charge so much for Mercedes mod parts.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:52 AM
Banned

S600TT, R350
Increase belt life?Whats the expected life span of these belts?It takes 100+hp to spin the SC in stock form?

I'm not sure if the belt slips badly or not on these cars,I havent got that far yet.But for 150 bucks or so,an extra idler cant hurt.That seems like cheap insurance to a possible problem.Especially after seeing what these companies are charging for a set of shorty headers,makes the idler a very cheap helper!

I still cant get over how these companies charge so much for Mercedes mod parts.
It is one belt, it is OK on a stock crank pulley, it is marginal on a bigger crank pulley.

The lobes are heavy, try to spin them by hand to 50 rpm, now try to spin them to 14,000 rpm. At 14 psi kompressor consumes 100 + HP.

It is a fact, you may choose not to believe it, but this is reality.

Price of any product is directly related to it's demand. This is called capitalism.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:04 AM

03 E55 AMG
Smile

What about belt oscillation and pulley jumping problems mentioned on earlier threads by an ex employe of EVO who apparently video taped these problems?

10 points to EVO!, these guys helped Victor with the above problem and set a good example to how after-market dealers should treat their clients.

Anyway it's good to see that we all want to achieve belt longevity... as slipping will ensure a short life...

Vadim's comment above has further reinforced my belief that 100+ hp to spin the s/c would be extremely stressful on a belt that only occupies 50% of the pulley surface.

Any solution for a few bucks to to increase belt contact area is most welcome. Consider it another form of cheep insurance.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:21 AM

03 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jrocket
Interesting... It seems that the more expensive the vehicle is the more the parts cost... Mmmm interesting ratio.

If you were to sell after market parts, who would your market be? It's fairly obvious hey...

Cheers mate
Old 07-27-2006, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Finny
Interesting... It seems that the more expensive the vehicle is the more the parts cost... Mmmm interesting ratio.

If you were to sell after market parts, who would your market be? It's fairly obvious hey...

Cheers mate
You go where the money is,but that still doesnt justify the prices they charge.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
It is one belt, it is OK on a stock crank pulley, it is marginal on a bigger crank pulley.

The lobes are heavy, try to spin them by hand to 50 rpm, now try to spin them to 14,000 rpm. At 14 psi kompressor consumes 100 + HP.

It is a fact, you may choose not to believe it, but this is reality.

Price of any product is directly related to it's demand. This is called capitalism.
Those lines that I wrote were called questions?I didnt say anything about not beleiving,thats why the ??? are there.Reality is also something that is witnessed with my own eyes,not ones words.

Theres nothing wrong with demand,pricing and product,but lets not get carried away with the capitalism....more like gouging if you will.

Have a nice night.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:00 AM

04 E55
Originally Posted by jangy
Hmmmmm, how do you know that 2 didn't cause 1, too?
I noticed the belt mess before I ever tried the VHT trick. VHT simply increases the degradation of the rubber, causing more mess in less time. I have an Autometer boost gauge installed in the glove box of the car. All I have to do is drop open the glove box and I can see exactly how much boost (or vacuum) is in the manifold and when.

I've done my own research and come to my own conclusions. I'm sure there are some who will continue to keep their head planted firmly in the sand, insisting that there's no problem. I, for one, am just going to FIX IT and enjoy the benefits.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:21 AM

03 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jrocket
You go where the money is,but that still doesnt justify the prices they charge.
Your preaching to the converted brother... I totally agree...

So what do you do?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: •••• FREE S/C Extreme Belt Wrap Kit ••••