Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes worn out at 7,500 miles????!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes worn out at 7,500 miles????!!!

My '06 E55 is chirping lightly when I touch the brakes. I assume that indicates pad wear. I have not been driving like a maniac. (well, sort of ) No track time. Just 7,500 miles of good clean driving. Isn't this a bit early to have my brakes wear out?

Is the dealer gonna charge me for this? Doesn't seem right.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Cold brakes? Go out, bring the vehicle to speed and brake hard, but not hard enough to trigger ABS. Repeat the process several times. If brakes still squeak, then you might have worn pads or some other issue.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by newton22
Cold brakes?
We're in the middle of a record-setting heat wave, but I'll give it a shot.

If the pads are worn, will the dealer replace for free?
Old 07-26-2006, 01:48 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Moses,

I've had my 06 now for about 4 months. The brakes started squeeling within 150 miles. I took the car to a local dealer (not where I bought my car) and they couldn't find anything wrong. They said the pads would eventually break in and stop squeeling. They even suggested I do some hard braking to get them to stop sqeeling. Didn't work. I'm taking the car to the dealer where I bought it and they're replacing the brakes. DragonAMG said I should go with the Pagid pads from Evosport. I'm going to look into it because it's downright embarassing when your E55 sounds like a cheap used car.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:06 PM

Mine aren't squealing. It's the "brake pads are worn out" chirp.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by Rudyrono
...I'm going to look into it because it's downright embarassing when your E55 sounds like a cheap used car.
i always think the opposite (high end car) when i hear that since high performance brakes are so obnoxious at low speeds.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:40 PM
pas

2007 S65, 2005 Nissan Armada
Are you a clean freak like the rest of us and do you wash your wheels, tires and brakes???

The pads have wear sensors so you should see a light intermittent at first indicating pads are getting near the end of useful life. looks like (O). It could be possible that you have a malfunctioning caliper and one pad has been worn prematurely but it doesn't sound like that is the problem.

Is the chirp right when you apply the brakes and even if you continue braking the chirp does not continue or do they squeal continously whenever the brakes are applied? If it is continous they might be worn out.

Mine chirped after I washed the calipers but it has gone away now.

You could always take off the wheels and have a look it is very easy to see how much pad material is left.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by pas
Are you a clean freak like the rest of us and do you wash your wheels, tires and brakes???

The pads have wear sensors so you should see a light intermittent at first indicating pads are getting near the end of useful life. looks like (O). It could be possible that you have a malfunctioning caliper and one pad has been worn prematurely but it doesn't sound like that is the problem.

Is the chirp right when you apply the brakes and even if you continue braking the chirp does not continue or do they squeal continously whenever the brakes are applied? If it is continous they might be worn out.

Mine chirped after I washed the calipers but it has gone away now.

You could always take off the wheels and have a look it is very easy to see how much pad material is left.
The chirp was just when I first touched the brakes. Today I hit the brakes pretty aggressively and the chirp is gone! Thanks everybody.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Now that you don't care, I'll tell you. Worn brake pads are not covered under warranty, however, most dealers I go to would swap em out with that low of miles.
Also, not that your pads are worn, but I went through my rear set on the '05 at 7500 miles and the front were almost gone at 10K
Old 07-27-2006, 03:31 AM

2005 E55 Black
Anyone else seen this? Wash the car and put away in the garage right away. After about two days or so go to take out of garage and brake pad is stuck to rotor. There is superficial rust on the rotor from washing the car but I've never had a car do this before.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:05 AM
pas

2007 S65, 2005 Nissan Armada
Originally Posted by machz990
Anyone else seen this? Wash the car and put away in the garage right away. After about two days or so go to take out of garage and brake pad is stuck to rotor. There is superficial rust on the rotor from washing the car but I've never had a car do this before.

my car does that too, if you wash it and put it away wet or it rains a lot and the car sits, no big deal I guess but I've never had a car do it either.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
I had the rust on mine too. I also had the squeal as well as the chirp......

The rust was no biggie. Just take it out for a spin and the rust will be gone.

The squeal appeared mostly after washing the car from my previous experience. The brake pads are touching the rotors so when you apply light brake, they squeal like a pig. This is solved by doing some 0-60-0 in an empty parking lot at 3am in the morning.

The chirp just boggles me. It suddenly appeared out of the blues and stayed for a day and then suddenly disappeared......