Sponsored by:

*** 70mm Stainless Exhaust Coming Soon!! ***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 10:40 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
They are a cheap price but not a cheap quality.. He is a good friend and is a distributor for alot of exhaust components so he gets very low prices.. He passes the stuff along to me at close to cost so I offered it to the guy on the board to help him out.

If you want a set I will get them for you also and ship them to you.

You can remove your primaries and secondaries and replace them with these.. Your stock cats are 400 cell count each x 4 = 1600cell total so they are twice as restrictive. You will see a nice flow gain if you replace the cats.

Instead of hacking up your stock exhaust why not just get the complete exhaust that is brand new and you can keep your stock one aside.. I am going to post right now some details.

Originally Posted by E55 RUSS
Vrus why those cats are so cheap ???

if my Priamry Cats would be removed, do you think I should get those as well to replace my Secondaries or I will loose POWER with little backpressure ???
Old 08-14-2006, 10:47 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I talked to the guy who built the exhaust this morning and beat him down on the pricing.. This is what we can do:

5 guys have to commit... 50% deposit.. Build time is 3 days + the time it takes to get them sent out to be ceramic coated.

$1995 with 2 catalytic converters in any location you want (primary location or secondary location).

$2195 with 4 catalytic converters.

There will be no removeable cats for this price. He will make everything as one piece just like mine.. Originally I really wanted that feature, but, after thinking about it, it didnt make sense.. Car wouldnt run good with no cats on it so no point in having that option available.

1) Mad TDK (if he still wants it)
2) E.fifty.5 (he has not confirmed 100% yet).

If we get 3 more guys I can get this built for you guys.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
Originally Posted by vrus
I asked him when I talked to him.. He told me he ordered it from one of his suppliers but he didnt tell me the make & part #.. He just said it was a 200cell count metal matrix 4" canister. He sells them for $129USD each. Do you want me to get some for you?
That would be awesome!! Now by metal matrix do you mean it is a matrix of different metal types opposed to say...stainless constructed cats??

Also, to whomever asked about these being cheap. The other high flow cats that I've found and considered are $159.00 each and are stainless I believe. From what I gather it's just not an expensive part. For $129 those look to be really nice.

As soon as I get an install date I'll PM you. I can only find one person out here that will weld up stainless for me. Does that sound strange or what??? I really appreciate this V !!!!!!
Old 08-15-2006, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by NitrogenBalance
I can only find one person out here that will weld up stainless for me. Does that sound strange or what??? I really appreciate this V !!!!!!
nope, not strange at all. most exhaust shops don't tig weld and therefor won't do anything but typical exhaust piping.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
?

Would there be any benefit to going from 4 cats to 2 cats, but without having aftermarket headers installed?

-Ghost
Old 08-15-2006, 02:30 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Metal Matrix refers to the INSIDE of the cats.. Be CAREFUL because some of the "cheaply priced" cats come with CERAMIC internals and those will typically melt and break apart alot easier than the Metal Matrix ones.

Its hard to find a Metal Matrix Stainless steel cat for $159.. I used the Random Tech ones on my 3" exhaust and they were $249 each!

My friend gave me a good price but I dont really know what they sell for retail.

Originally Posted by NitrogenBalance
That would be awesome!! Now by metal matrix do you mean it is a matrix of different metal types opposed to say...stainless constructed cats??

Also, to whomever asked about these being cheap. The other high flow cats that I've found and considered are $159.00 each and are stainless I believe. From what I gather it's just not an expensive part. For $129 those look to be really nice.

As soon as I get an install date I'll PM you. I can only find one person out here that will weld up stainless for me. Does that sound strange or what??? I really appreciate this V !!!!!!
Absolutely... I am not sure how much of a power difference it is on a stock car.. I've heard Cory @ Kleemann say removing the front cats were good for 10rwhp. But I dont know if that is on a K1, K2, or stock..

It feels like my car gained more than that, but, who knows.. It could just be me.

Originally Posted by Ghostrider
Would there be any benefit to going from 4 cats to 2 cats, but without having aftermarket headers installed?

-Ghost
Old 08-15-2006, 03:25 PM

vrus i want the exhaust. I think I would want the cats a further from the headers like you said. who make a extension for the sensors?

I can since my car is stock do a back to back dyno comparison so people can see.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:36 PM

'06 E55 Black/Charcoal
I don't want to jump the gun, but are you also looking to design headers as well?
Old 08-15-2006, 04:00 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
No probs.. I just hung up the phone with him. I told him you wanted the exhaust and I dont have the other 4 confirmed yet... I will forgo my $200 and told him to do yours for the $1995 that was quoted for the 5 people so we dont have to wait.

He is ordering the material from Burns Stainless right now and should be here in a couple of days.. I will pay for the material on my CC for now. Once the material arrives, I'll let you know and you can send me a paypal deposit for 50% and he'll get started on it. I'll take progress pics for you as we go.

Once you get it, please do a before & after dyno so I'll know what the benefits are on a stock car.. At that point if it makes power, it will be a great mod for some stock cars to make and will be cheaper & easier than replacing headers.

Do you want the O2 bungs moved to the locations where my cats are installed?

I think you just have to buy some regular wire and cut & lengthen the stock O2 wires. That's what Kleemann does if I am not mistaken.

Originally Posted by Mad TKD
vrus i want the exhaust. I think I would want the cats a further from the headers like you said. who make a extension for the sensors?

I can since my car is stock do a back to back dyno comparison so people can see.
Already in the works.. We've got a set of long tube headers on the way as our starting point..

At the same time we are looking at the rear mufflers also... The idea is to laser cut the stock muffler open, make some flow modifications to the insides and then reseal them... If it works, I'll do it as a core fee for anyone else that wants one.. You send in your stock mufflers + some cash, we send back the modified ones. That is a very cost effective way of getting some nice sound and performance..

Originally Posted by BIG LUV
I don't want to jump the gun, but are you also looking to design headers as well?
Old 08-15-2006, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
Give him a year and he'll rebuild the entire car.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:59 PM

yes i would like them moved where yours is. Seems like it will breath better that way ya?
Old 08-15-2006, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
Victor...

When I you going to do all DYNO runs with 2 and 4 cats installed ???

Dont you think If my Primary CATS would be removed and Secondary would be replaced with 200 cell cats...I would loose too much back pressure ???

I can remove all 4 cats here but I dont what too..cause exhausts are always dirty after this and need to re-programm the car for it and after the car eats more fuel...

Anyways I cant wait for you Exhaust Dyno results
Old 08-16-2006, 10:07 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I guess by the time you run through all the parts, at least 50% of the car will be changed..

Originally Posted by newton22
Give him a year and he'll rebuild the entire car.
That would be the ideal location.. I would get them to move the secondary O2 sensor bungs behind the cats like Kleemann does. Remember, I can't guarantee you wont get a check engine light because I have never tried this..

I've heard PTE say it works and I know I've heard Kleemann say it works.

yes i would like them moved where yours is. Seems like it will breath better that way ya?
Hey Mike,

Well.. On my car right now the way it sits the exhaust really opens up the breathing.. I felt an immediate difference on the highway.. No noticeable torque loss at the low end. Unfortunately, for a stock car, I am not sure.. I think it will improve the power but I havent tried it.

Mad TDK will be able to give us those answers..

As for my car, I am trying to get my ECU tune fixed so I can hit the dyno.. Been trying for a week now.. This Thursday they are going to do another tune and we are going to try it out.

Victor...

When I you going to do all DYNO runs with 2 and 4 cats installed ???

Dont you think If my Primary CATS would be removed and Secondary would be replaced with 200 cell cats...I would loose too much back pressure ???

I can remove all 4 cats here but I dont what too..cause exhausts are always dirty after this and need to re-programm the car for it and after the car eats more fuel...

Anyways I cant wait for you Exhaust Dyno results
Old 08-16-2006, 03:10 PM

04 E55
Hey Victor,

Did you get my last PM??
Old 08-16-2006, 03:55 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Hey Don,

Yup.. But I guess my reply never made it to you.. LOL... Just resent it.

Originally Posted by GTA23109a
Hey Victor,

Did you get my last PM??
Old 08-16-2006, 04:20 PM

'06 E55 Black/Charcoal
Are the Longtube Headers going to be a direct bolt on the this exhaust?
Old 08-18-2006, 01:27 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
They wont be able to bolt up because the long tube headers will come down alot further than where the flange is on a stock car. You will have to cut off the top section and the headers will most likely be a slip fit over top. But, a template will be made so that you will know exactly where to cut on the exhaust to get the headers to line up properly.

Are the Longtube Headers going to be a direct bolt on the this exhaust?
Old 08-18-2006, 01:30 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
** UPDATE **

Stainless material arrived from Burns Stainless for:

Mad TKD & GTA23109a

We are looking at the jig right now to make sure the placement of the secondary O2 sensors behind the cat will work and that there is enough clearance in the tunnel to accommodate them.

Once I've confirmed this and they are ready to start fabbing, I will let you know and you can send the deposits over.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-18-2006, 01:49 PM

'06 E55 Black/Charcoal
I think I will wait till your LT's are done and buy it all at once.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
** UPDATE **

Stainless material arrived from Burns Stainless for:

Mad TKD & GTA23109a

We are looking at the jig right now to make sure the placement of the secondary O2 sensors behind the cat will work and that there is enough clearance in the tunnel to accommodate them.

Once I've confirmed this and they are ready to start fabbing, I will let you know and you can send the deposits over.

Thanks guys!
Hey Victor...

Tell ME about O2 relocation...

I located mine behind Secondary Cats, at simular position but at diff angle and got SES light, you think it because of the angle...or I need to shim them out of the pipes ???
Old 08-30-2006, 07:22 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Mad TKD,

Here you go buddy!! Your exhaust is assembled! Left on the truck this afternoon to go to the coating company! Its going to get a nice coating put on it and then I'll snap another pic for you and get it shipped out!

Mike,

I dont think the angle has anything to do with it. It might be the distance which is causing a problem. On a stock car because the cats are more restrictive, the exhaust gases might be cooling a bit before the secondary cats see them and causing a problem.

With the aftermarket 200cell cats they are a freer flowing unit, so maybe it works fine with them becuase the exhaust gases are still the same when they reach the secondaries??? Just guessing, but that is all I can think of.

Hey Victor...

Tell ME about O2 relocation...

I located mine behind Secondary Cats, at simular position but at diff angle and got SES light, you think it because of the angle...or I need to shim them out of the pipes ???
Old 08-30-2006, 09:33 PM

SLK32
Magnaflow makes good mufflers.. We are going to build a rear section right after this mid section is done.. I was going to experiment with the Magnaflow and see how it sounds.
I guess I am a bit slow but I just noticed your above statement on Magnaflow mufflers. Unless they have changed their design in the last 4 years or so they make a decent but not great muffler. Their biggest strength is advertising. Last time I looked into custom exhausts the Dynomax Ultraflo mufflers were the highest flowing with one of the Borla's right behind (the XR1 maybe).

Nice looking exhaust. Need to fab one up for your 'little brothers'.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:21 AM

thanks Vrus,

I just saw the pics.

Cant wait to get it on

David
Old 09-02-2006, 01:42 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
David,

Your exhaust arrived at the coating company. When they are done.. This is what the exhaust finish will look like:

thanks Vrus,

I just saw the pics.

Cant wait to get it on

David

The Magnaflow is a good flowing muffler and has little to no resonance.

A Dynomax Ultraflow and Borla XR1 dont belong on the E55.. Those are a bit too loud and probably produce alot of resonance.

In any case, I will be trying out a reworked stock muffler.. We are going to plasma cut them open and re-route the flow tubes for better flow. If I dont like the outcome, I'll try the magnaflow muffler next.

As for fabbing up an exhaust for the "little brothers".. Would be happy to help out, but, its a big investment to make the jig and do the prototyping.. If you can gather up 5 or 6 guys and get them to chip in $250 each as a deposit, I can get it built for you guys.

Originally Posted by 430
I guess I am a bit slow but I just noticed your above statement on Magnaflow mufflers. Unless they have changed their design in the last 4 years or so they make a decent but not great muffler. Their biggest strength is advertising. Last time I looked into custom exhausts the Dynomax Ultraflo mufflers were the highest flowing with one of the Borla's right behind (the XR1 maybe).

Nice looking exhaust. Need to fab one up for your 'little brothers'.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:05 PM

dammmm nice cant wait. I will probably get a stock dyno done sometime next week. Then of course dynos after the exhaust and intake

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: *** 70mm Stainless Exhaust Coming Soon!! ***