2007 E63 Arrived

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 01:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by Rock
I just got off the phone with my master Mercedes technician (he is also a huge performance enthusiast), He just completed prepping and test driving a new E63. A summation of his thoughts:

Pros:
  • Brakes are superior to the E55, much better feel
  • Appearance- the car has a great stance and looks very aggressive
  • 7speed trans is awesome, shifts are smooth and fast. The shift paddles are much better than the buttons
  • Steering is much improved and this car actually gives feedback as to what the front tires are doing,
Cons:
  • The engine is a dog down low and it does not come alive until 4,000RPM. He would be shocked if it is faster than a stock E55 in the quarter mile. "You can definitely notice the loss of torque compared to the E55."
  • The only negative comment he made about the interior was that he did not like the new gauges
  • Exhaust note- reminds him of the SLK55
His advise- "Do not sell your E55!!!"
Sounds like he really loved the extra 50hp, too.

Why is everyone waiting on Vadim if i ma so off?
Old 07-29-2006, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBenz
All I can say about the 07 E: I like 03-06 style better!!!

1. The grill: Can't stand looking the new pointy grill, make the car looks cheap, and reminds me of hyundai and acura TL. except that acura TL has smaller grill and fit into the style. Totally turn off.

2. Backlight: OMG again, it makes the car looks cheap. I want something futuristic with lots of LEDs. This model has lots of white area, I don't know how to say it, but i don't like it.

3. THe wheels, somewhat not fit and not sporty.

Well, the AMG bodykits helps the car appearance, look at the E550 or E350. Weak!!

I'd rather buy CLS55, less power, but who cares and how fast you're gonna drive everyday anyway?? No offense on the new E, but i expect something much much better.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:30 AM

14 'E550
Originally Posted by RJC
Had a 95 M3 Cosmo Black/Black I bought new, traded a problem laden 911(that particular 911 was built on a bad Monday for sure) The M3 was one of the tightest and least troublesome cars I've ever owned and I've owned alot of cars. That M3 only had one small problem, a rattle which was a loose radio bracket and never saw the dealer for anything else but an oil change/schdl'd maintenece, what was even more amazing it was a first year production; they'll always be a special place in my heart for that little car!
Agreed, I also had a 95 M3 (Daytona Violet/Mulberry, 5spd, Lux package).

That was a great car, as you said....tight, trouble free, fun to drive. The E46 definitely feels the 200lbs heavier that it is.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:33 AM

14 'E550
Originally Posted by lpolo
I'd rather buy CLS55, less power, but who cares and how fast you're gonna drive everyday anyway?? No offense on the new E, but i expect something much much better.
Well as they say, opinions are like a-holes.......

I happen to think the CLS looks like a fish. The rear is the worst part of the car, simply generic looking.

But, its the best looking thing ever according to others.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by jangy
Actually, no I don't think. For him to just pop off about how he feels the extra 50hp without some more details is nothing but an attempt to sell and that is what I called out. Being a sponser doen't mean you can confuse sales pitches with tech talk. I used Vadim as an example then and now again. He comes on all the time telling us of his inventory. When have I ever bashed him for it? The reason is that when the discussion is technical, so are his replies. they aren't twisted to attempt a sale. That is just gross, sponsor or not.
Talk about much ado about nothing. You can't tell people what they should and shouldn't post here. All the man did was give his impression of the car, nothing more. Your response was way overboard. Confuse sales pitch with sales talk? How ridiculous, give it a rest.

M
Old 07-29-2006, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Beltfed
And why would anyone even think to sell their E55s for an updated E?

That would be kind of stupid, no matter what they did to the E63.
??? Isn't that why car manufacturers update their models every so often. So people feel inclined to go out and buy the new model. Why do you think the CLS is selling so well. Because when you see one you know it is fairly new. I don't think our 55s are going to look that out dated, thus I don't plan on selling mine. But rest assured if there were more dramatic changes to the body style, I would be swapping out of it and into the newer one.

Having said all that, I am begining to believe that the E55 is going to become a classic. Thus I probably won't be selling mine for a long time...
Old 07-29-2006, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
I love the new grill, its going back to tradition. The grill was such a great symbol for MB and with every generation, they kept simplifying it until it looked like the fake grills on other cars. Now they are going back to what the grill used to be. If you check out the older MB's the luarel badge was always on the front of the grill not unter the Star ornament. And they put the crease on top of the grill to mimick the old style grill. I say bravo. MB is about heritage.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:05 AM

14 'E550
Originally Posted by MB_Steve
??? Isn't that why car manufacturers update their models every so often. So people feel inclined to go out and buy the new model. Why do you think the CLS is selling so well. Because when you see one you know it is fairly new. I don't think our 55s are going to look that out dated, thus I don't plan on selling mine. But rest assured if there were more dramatic changes to the body style, I would be swapping out of it and into the newer one.

Having said all that, I am begining to believe that the E55 is going to become a classic. Thus I probably won't be selling mine for a long time...
In MBs case, the E was out since 03.......they found the need to update the car before a complete redesign. Yes, if someone had a leased E maybe the update would earn their business.

But to have a purchased car, go and sell it/trade it in for an "updated" model (even a major one)..doesn't make much sense imo.

Don't confuse an updated model with a complete redesign.

Why would you believe the E55 is going to be become a classic? The car was around for four years.

No offense, just because its SC'd and you can easily mod the car doesn't make it classic car material.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
If I had a E55, and had the cash to go 63, I would definately keep the 55. Besides, most 55k cars make 480, 490 hp anyways. Then again, the 63 may be making over 520, 530 hp.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Like it or not, the 7G has been out for years now and has been a huge source of headache for Benz. To say it is smooth is a lie. Flat out (not that you did). I also love it under WOT, as you said, simply dropping a few RPM versus 2K is "smoother", but you gotta slow down sometime and a rough downshift is nothing fun (been there too often layed up in a curve when it POPS). try it and see.

Work of art or whatever, I'd take the BMW V10 over it anyday.
Jangy I know better than most people the issues with the 7g tronic and I have likely driven more MB's than many people on the forum. I can say 100% the E500 sitting outside right now is smooth and works just fine. Yes it did have a few issues when it was younger but the revised valve body and updated tranny ecu did resolve the clunking through the gears when you slow down.

I have beat the living day lights out of 2 SLK350's, an SLK280, C230, C350, E500 and SL550 and all those cars had the 7g tronic system and all were simply amazing. My only real remark would be that 7g tronic could uses better "rev matching" when making manually induced downshifts at the track a la BMW. The tranny in the 330i has fewer gears, is less responsive, and seems to take way longer to upshift at speed but it does have flawless rev matched downshifts. Under full braking the BMW just does not twitch a bit when you click down for a corner but even the 7g tronic system still leave a little difference between the engine speed and the tranny speed and that makes it twitch just a bit.

All those cars were driven for 3-4 hrs at the track and the never had a hick up. That is more than the BMW, Lexus, and Audi cars could say because all those ended up going into limp home mode when their trannies got over heated. MB knows how to make things work. The best part would be the fact that these cars did not get all confused and flustered given the difference between driving at the track and then the 2 hr drive to and from the track. The cars never became flustered and always stayed smooth. Even when driving right off the track and going to the gas station 4 miles down the road the cars were very comfortable -- they just held the gears a bit longer expecting me to go back to 130 mph .

Jangy Im not here to lie to anyone and honestly you can not talk about the system in an E63 because it had different ecu settings, different clutch packs, different torque converter, and different shift speeds. I have yet to see an AMG trans that was not far different than it stock version so lets wait and see if amg has worked its magic on the 7g tronic system.

I think it needs to be said that both my SL55 and E55 have trannies that clunk and bang now and then. I think that is the nature of an AUTO box being that no computer will ever know what to expect from the driver. We can lift off or lay into the throttle at the wrong time and the car might be waiting for the complete oposite and that will make it go clunk or bang just a bit.

MB has solved the issue with 7g tronic and maybe a test drive in a new SL550 with the sport tranny option could shed some light on the topic and help you see that yes the system was flawed but that after 1-2 years (depending on model) mb has figured out how to revise the setting and make 7g tronic the #1 auto box on the market.

As for E63 vs M5.... For the first time we see the Euro press ranking the AMG better than the M-Power car and that says a lot. Let wait to drive one and see what we think then.

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 07-29-2006 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Cyn: your opinion is respected and I am in no way disagreeing with you, EXCEPT on one point. The 7g issues HAVE NOT been worked out. Have they been improved? yes, I have had EVERY revision (about 6 valve bodies) done. If the issue was truly resolved, why would MB now come out and place an official campaign that simply states that they are aware of the issue and will have a permanent fix for ALL 7g trannies "soon"? I can make a copy of my sister's service report if you'd like, but MB would NEVER give out this kind of info, if they did not have something coming. Along that same line, why would MB open a campaing after all this time, IF the issue had already been resolved? I know the answer and it is the threat of a class action law suit that was being organized. It is waaay cheaper for MB to acknowledge and fix the issue than to allow it to go public and be FORCED to address it. I know you have contacts with service / technical folks so just do me a favor and ask for your own clarity. My contacts are high up management and they don't exactly just talk ot the hole.
At any rate, you and I are tight and I don't want to go back and forth as i really do respect your expertise.
Lastly, keep one thing in mind, too. I have always acknowledged that the 7g works GREAT when drinving it in a spirited fashion. It is seemless through the gears and all that. I have only had an issue with it in the "real" world.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Just got back from my dealer,saw their first E63.The first thing that catches my eye is the front bumper not matching the cars lines.The car has smooth rounded lines and the new bumper has more of a defined squarish line to it.Just like all new cars it will probably grow on me but for now I'm not really liking it.I like the dash cluster but not the center console,I think the butterfly opening is nicer.The slider would look better if not in wood trim.A matte black or gray would even make it look better,but the wood looks cheap when its split into those small increments.The front brake rotors look really good,the rears looked the same to me.Wheels,not sure yet.I think the color is too dark,maybe if they were a brighter silver instead.

I should be able to take it for a drive within a few days.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Germancar1
Talk about much ado about nothing. You can't tell people what they should and shouldn't post here. All the man did was give his impression of the car, nothing more. Your response was way overboard. Confuse sales pitch with sales talk? How ridiculous, give it a rest.

M
You sure you don't get a kick back? Hmmmm, both guys are named Marcus....hmmmmm

"nothing more"...haha!! If it were nothing more, then why PAY to be a sponsor??
Old 07-29-2006, 03:36 PM
Banned

AMGs
You sure you don't get a kick back? Hmmmm, both guys are named Marcus....hmmmmm

"nothing more"...haha!! If it were nothing more, then why PAY to be a sponsor??
Old 07-29-2006, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Cyn: your opinion is respected and I am in no way disagreeing with you, EXCEPT on one point. The 7g issues HAVE NOT been worked out. Have they been improved? yes, I have had EVERY revision (about 6 valve bodies) done. If the issue was truly resolved, why would MB now come out and place an official campaign that simply states that they are aware of the issue and will have a permanent fix for ALL 7g trannies "soon"? I can make a copy of my sister's service report if you'd like, but MB would NEVER give out this kind of info, if they did not have something coming. Along that same line, why would MB open a campaing after all this time, IF the issue had already been resolved? I know the answer and it is the threat of a class action law suit that was being organized. It is waaay cheaper for MB to acknowledge and fix the issue than to allow it to go public and be FORCED to address it. I know you have contacts with service / technical folks so just do me a favor and ask for your own clarity. My contacts are high up management and they don't exactly just talk ot the hole.
At any rate, you and I are tight and I don't want to go back and forth as i really do respect your expertise.
Lastly, keep one thing in mind, too. I have always acknowledged that the 7g works GREAT when drinving it in a spirited fashion. It is seemless through the gears and all that. I have only had an issue with it in the "real" world.
While id love to sit here and debate this I got to head out to lunch. But it should be said the W164 chassis was the worst chassis with the 7g tronic set-up and they have concluded that the car can not be revised or updated and that is likely why your car was boutght back. I have constacts friends as hight up the pole as any Jangy. Not to make a pissing contest here but I know quite a bit about these cars.

You are so wrapped up here because you had the 164 ML and your car was terrible. I dont doubt it one bit. But other cars are working very well. Nothing mass produced EVER works perfectly.

Just dont let your troubles with the ML500 or your sisters car (CLK350?) make you hate the E63. All these problems have made MB revise it for 2007 and maybe those cars will be more to your liking.

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 07-29-2006 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
While id love to sit here and debate this I got to head out to lunch. But it should be said the W164 chassis was the worst chassis with the 7g tronic set-up and they have concluded that the car can not be revised or updated and that is likely why your car was boutght back. I have constacts friends as hight up the pole as any Jangy. Not to make a pissing contest here but I know quite a bit about these cars.

You are so wrapped up here because you had the 164 ML and your car was terrible. I dont doubt it one bit. But other cars are working very well. Nothing mass produced EVER works perfectly.

Just dont let your troubles with the ML500 or your sisters car (CLK350?) make you hate the E63. All these problems have made MB revise it for 2007 and maybe those cars will be more to your liking.

I'll definitely try it out. My problems simply culminated with the ML500. I've dealt with the 7g on an '04E500, '06E350, '06CLK350, AND the ML500. The ML was an odd case, since I got one of the first out AND the W164 seems to have been a bigger problem (to your point).

Not doubting your contacts, just asking you to ask them and see what they say. For me, i've known these people for ages and have NEVER had them admit to a thing until this, that is why I am so sure of it. Also, I was approached to be involved with the suit, but chose to keep my loyalties to the "brand' and stayed out. That is when I contacted my friends and asked and they told me the deal. That's it.

The 7g is not the reason I am not an E63 fan. Has nothing to do with it, actually. It is why my wife isn't in a GL, though. I fell out of "love" with the E63 at Fontana when I saw it first hand. I also saw Tommy Kendall driving all the AMGs, including the E63 and heard what I heard.

I know you are very knowledgable on these cars (and in general), and it wasn't even your post that I was upset at. If you go look at my INITIAL reply to you, I even stated that I did not mean any of your comments. I just happennd to be replying to your post when I brought up the smooth statement that Marcus made. I never even meant to make a huge deal of this. I simply felt as if he was imbelishing so i call him on it. that simple. two people's opinions. I never told him to shut up or anything.

No sense in arguing. they will be a dime a dozen in a week or two, so we'll see. Trust me, i will have a camera on the car when we (my dealer and I) go to palomar for a real life test. If the E63 walks my car, trust me I will be honest. But, if it does not, I would hope all the E63 fans come a little closer to earth.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 ML500 w/Apperance pkg & '07 SL550 w/AMG pkg
I can't believe this thread has lasted this long, I feel like we are in a Seinfeld episode.......all about nothing!!! If my memory is right (no kick backs involved), the last person I help buy a car was Nevada Jack & that was 2 cars ago (E320 sedan). That was the reason I made the comment about not trying to sell anyone here a car. If I had known then, what I know now..........

Last edited by MarcusBenz; 07-29-2006 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by MarcusBenz
I can't believe this thread has lasted this long, I feel like we are in a Seinfeld episode.......all about nothing!!! If my memory is right (no kick backs involved), the last person I help buy a car was Nevada Jack & that was 2 cars ago (E320 sedan). That was the reason I made the comment about not trying to sell anyone here a car. If I had known then, what I know now..........
Its just the internet,browse,read and forget.

Have you had any lookers at the 63's yet?
Old 07-29-2006, 09:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jrocket
Its just the internet,browse,read and forget.

Have you had any lookers at the 63's yet?
Yes, we should be delivering our 1st car this evening.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Hehe, watching Seinfeld right now..

Marcus, you don't need to defend yourself. You've been here long enough and you ARE a sponsor. I wasn't serious about the kick back comment, i was jabbing at him for keeping it up.

Lets just keep this thread on topic and post about the E63s. For now, you like em, and I don't. pretty simple. Lets see what time shows.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:31 PM

2009 C63 Black on Black
Question How can that be?

Yes, we should be delivering our 1st car this evening.
Marcus: How can you be delivering an E63 this evening? The car is not going to be officially released until 8/21? I am awaiting the 1st car from my dealer - Schumacher European here in Scottsdale. Somethings not right here!
Old 07-30-2006, 12:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by deaguero
Marcus: How can you be delivering an E63 this evening? The car is not going to be officially released until 8/21? I am awaiting the 1st car from my dealer - Schumacher European here in Scottsdale. Somethings not right here!
We got wholesaled our 1st 2 cars a few days ago. Not sure who gave the release date, but maybe Schumacher is not receiving thier first car until then. When you go in to pick up your car, tell Michael S. that Mark Newton from the House of Imports says hello!!! He is a crack up & a great guy.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
.....last few!!
As much as I love AMG's/MB's why can't they put the opening of the intake mani in the front of the engine to create a cooler intake charge? There's alot of heat in back of the motor by the firewall.Would be nice to have the cool air rammed into the intake up front if the opening of the intake mani was located there, and it would also have a shorter path similar to GM's high performance V8's and the Lexus V8's.

However,it is what it is and I still like the car.I think they could get even more pwr by redesigning the intake manifold with the opening at the front of the engine.just my .02!

Last edited by ProjectC55; 07-30-2006 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:30 AM

2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Marcus,
since you're a dealer and you've seen the 63 in person, I'd like to ask the following questions:

1. how do the 63's side mirrors cmpare to those on the 55? They look like they're out a bit farther and might be bigger, too. Can the 55 be easily modified to mount the 63's mirrors?

2. I have an e55 wagon, 2005, with a cracked taillight. I like the 63s taillights because they appear to be smoked (the white part) whereas the 55's (my) taillights are unsmoked. Can you confirm that the 63 wagon's taillights are smoked / different than those on the 55 wagon?

3. When will e63 replacement parts be available from dealers? specifically, when is the soonest I'd be able to order a new set of taillights, and expect to wait only the few days it takes to get them to the dealer from the regional warehouse (as opposed to waiting for the ship to come in from Hamburg)?

thanks for your response. Loved the pics, by the way!

vic
Old 07-31-2006, 12:34 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I'd like that steering wheel. i prefer my function buttons, but that fat wheel looks mighty nice.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2007 E63 Arrived