W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

S/C Clutch Failure.. WTF?!?!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
S/C Clutch Failure.. WTF?!?!?

Just a quick check to see if anyone that has modded their cars has smoked the clutch in the S/C?????? It happened today on a 06 with aboiut 5k miles.. This was one of the cars that I put the ASP pulley on...

So the question is: Was it just a faulty part?? Or is something else wrong? The other car is running strong.. No problems at all... So im guessing it was just a bad clutch.. Has anyone else smoked theirs???
Old 07-29-2006, 10:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
WHAT??? Please post more details. I don't keep up with your cars, but a burnt clutch is not a good thing. i was under the impression that these clutches were pretty strong. The though of a different sized pulley causing that kind of damage is scary, mainly because it makes me wonder how mod friendly these cars really are.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:42 PM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
03 E55 AMG
We have maxed out our cars out but never had this problem... Was this the anti squeak soft clutch version?
Old 07-30-2006, 09:58 AM

E55
I think the 2006 is when they started with the new clutch.. And this was an 06 with about 5k miles on the clock.. The car was on the dyno and during the first pull it seemed to be pulling strong.. They came the smoke.. Im sure you all know the smell of a burnt clutch.. Just to make sure you know i had to try it again.. .. And sure enough the same thing.. it would grab then let go.. Then egage again and then let go.. then just started to smoke again.. I was hoping that this wasnt a problem since i have never seen anyone else with this problem. Im taking it in for a new clutch this week.. So hopefully all will be well.. And as i said .. the 03 was fine.. except for that damn chirp.. But i will live with the chirp if it means having a good clutch!!
Old 07-30-2006, 10:04 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Oh man.. I hope this is a very isolated incident...

I think I've put 700km or so on my car since the 2006 clutch pack install and so far everything seems fine.. I am running the Evosport pullies which have a smaller crank pulley than the ASP one. Maybe the ASP pulley is spinning the blower a little too fast??

Keep us updated on your situation..

Good luck!
Old 07-30-2006, 10:31 AM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
03 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by vrus
Oh man.. I hope this is a very isolated incident...

I think I've put 700km or so on my car since the 2006 clutch pack install and so far everything seems fine.. I am running the Evosport pullies which have a smaller crank pulley than the ASP one. Maybe the ASP pulley is spinning the blower a little too fast??

Keep us updated on your situation..

Good luck!
If the clutch is burning due to low clamping pressure or soft clutch compound, I'm curious to know if it can be easily and economically reversed to the old "snap shut squeak" method that we all love?

Clamping pressure tolerances may have been calculated to suit the stock pulley torque. The big wheel may have breached the limit?

Victor, any chance of you posting your next dyno report for all to see if the EVO anti slip belt update and new version clutch (same as above) shows a smooth power curve transition up to max RPM?

Much appreciated mate!
Old 07-30-2006, 10:50 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Of course! Dyno sheets will be posted.. Just waiting for a semi decent day where the humidity isnt so high. I've gone to the dyno room a few times but turned back because the temps were 90F - 95F.

Originally Posted by Finny
Victor, any chance of you posting your next dyno report for all to see if the EVO anti slip belt update and new version clutch (same as above) shows a smooth power curve transition up to max RPM?

Much appreciated mate!
Old 07-30-2006, 11:19 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Jeez, just as i was gonna start my stage II.

Good luck to you. I didn't realize that the '06 had a different clutch type.

Not to pull this OT, but does anyone know if the other pullies are also oversized? Kleeman, RENN, etc.??
Old 07-30-2006, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
I have the Renn pulley and it's oversize...if it wasn't oversize it wouldn't turn the blower faster.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:33 PM

E55
Hopefully it was just a bad clutch.. Im glad no one else has had the problem .. And hopefully nobody else will .. I didnt even bother keeping the dyno printout.. but it was very very wavy.. I would assume from the slipping and reengaging..
Old 07-30-2006, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
This sounds scary, I ordered an ASP pullies but on the other hand Finn using pullies wjocj are the same size as ASP one diameter 182 (stock 156mm) and Simon said that there has been any problems...I think its just as faulty clutch or some mistake with installation of the pullies...

Anyway what is S/C crisp, where do I have to listen ??? I dont hear anything may be cause of Eisenmann

How did the made on this first pull ???
Old 07-31-2006, 09:05 AM

E55
Originally Posted by M5 RUS
This sounds scary, I ordered an ASP pullies but on the other hand Finn using pullies wjocj are the same size as ASP one diameter 182 (stock 156mm) and Simon said that there has been any problems...I think its just as faulty clutch or some mistake with installation of the pullies...

Anyway what is S/C crisp, where do I have to listen ??? I dont hear anything may be cause of Eisenmann

How did the made on this first pull ???
There couldnt have been any install problems because I did the install!!

Since the Actual S/C isnt touched during the install in cant see how an install error would make the s/c clutch burn up.. Its either the new clutch sucks.. or it was just a bad one.. I will let you know what the service tech says after replacement..
Old 07-31-2006, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
OK...what was your dyno results ???