W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you know that there are a number of Airmatic links?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 01:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Did you know that there are a number of Airmatic links?

Try to buy a set of the front links for an '06 and the response will be what is your VIN? Turns out there are 2 different sets. i have both, so i can post pics and see which it taller, etc. I am now curious as to how much the link has changed over the years, or if it just did it in '06. The difference in looks alone is huge.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Jangy

When you say links do you mean suspension links or something to do with the air shock?

If you are talking about the actually links in the suspension, the difference lies in the fact that some W211's do not have AirMatic while others do. The cars with steal springs and normal shocks have different links and conection points etc so that would be what you are seeing.

As for any difference between the the years of the E55, Nothing changed geometry wise. But yes shocks did change in the last decade of 2004 production to a newer revised version with far better compression and rebound calibrations.

Good luck.

Post pics....
Old 08-09-2006, 09:23 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
No, I am talking about the little links that adjust the airmatic ride height. They actually changed over in even the '06 model, so I wndered if this was the first change or if there were more. This is the little piece that everyone is adding washers to. I have both designs for the '06 and one is metal and one is plastic!!
Old 08-09-2006, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Originally Posted by jangy
No, I am talking about the little links that adjust the airmatic ride height. They actually changed over in even the '06 model, so I wndered if this was the first change or if there were more. This is the little piece that everyone is adding washers to. I have both designs for the '06 and one is metal and one is plastic!!
I want one with longer threads! Any of them longer than the other?
Old 08-09-2006, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz

Always metal over plastic!

Maybe just different suppliers. I know mine are metal in a 2004 car.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:01 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by newton22
I want one with longer threads! Any of them longer than the other?
No. Both threads are the same, BUT you can easily replace the original bolt that is welded there and drop in a longer one. i did it and can post pics, if interested. I am now back to stock and running the RENN module and it DUMPS plenty, so i ended up with some spares.

Dunno why plastic. Maybe a cost savings?
Old 08-10-2006, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55
No. Both threads are the same, BUT you can easily replace the original bolt that is welded there and drop in a longer one. i did it and can post pics, if interested. I am now back to stock and running the RENN module and it DUMPS plenty, so i ended up with some spares.

Dunno why plastic. Maybe a cost savings?
Please tell us how you did it and post pictures.

Thanks
Old 08-11-2006, 12:15 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by OzE55
Please tell us how you did it and post pictures.

Thanks
I will post pics of the links this weekend. I'll show both styles and show the one i modded up. Very simple, actually. You unbolt the link. Then place the top piece in a brace and drill right through the bolt. I used a drill that was just barely larger than the bolt diameter, and it cleaned it all out. The bolt is normally welded onto the piece, so it was easier to drill it than to cut through it for me. After there is a hole, you just slip your own nut and bolt on and rebolt on the link. Simple and safer.

Another member recommended replacing the nut with a thinner and regularly threaded one. That is definitely an option, BUT make sure you don't just use any grade of locktite. you need to go strong. There is a BUTT load of vibration on those arms.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55
You drilled it while attached to the car????

The pictures will help.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2006, 02:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by OzE55
You drilled it while attached to the car????

The pictures will help.

Thanks
Pics won't happen till next week. The car is in the shop for a headlight fix.

No, let me be more specific. You jack up the car to provide clearance. leave the wheel on. You unscrew the nuts at both ends of the link to take it off the car. Then, you pop the top piece off (it is held on by a grease ball joint). You modify that piece as you wish. Then you hammer it back into the grease fitting. Remount onto car, and lower it back down.