Sponsored by:

Most Potential for Tuning: E55 or E63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63
Most Potential for Tuning: E55 or E63

It seems to me that the E63, having 500+ naturally aspirated HP has the most potential for upgrading and tuning. However, since I am a novice in E class AMGs I may be off the mark. What is the opinion of you knowledgable guys?
Old 08-20-2006, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Actually a Kompressor engine is much easier to mod than a N/A engine.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Unless Benz was being conservative with the numbers, the E63 7 Speed tranny is already near it's limit on what it can handle leaving you near 0 room for modding.

Being a little lazy so I am trying to remember without doing a search, but it's something like 50-60ft lbs of torque away from what Benz says is it's max. I know once you bang over that, she goes limp and the error lights flash like fireworks. V12 guys have got it a few times at the track. Car just seems to go into neutral and you gotta stop and restart etc....

On the other hand, my car has been brought from 476hp to near 600 with tranny as solid as a rock. More mods coming soon to push it over 650hp.

Honestly, it's just a matter of time before AMG works over the 7 Speed and she is more solid, but for now it's pretty much at the limit.

Benz could also be shooting that number out as well to neatly PREVENT us from modding too. Once Kleemann and Renn get in there and look at it, we'll all know what the real story is, but for now, tranny is the weak link on the E63.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:16 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
The E63 is going to be very difficult to tune due to the high compression ratio and complexity of the new engine. If you're looking for a car that you can modify, stick with the E55.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:21 PM

E63
So you're telling me that you can't reduce the compression ratio, put twin turbos on her and get max HP. The transmission would need beefing up?
Old 08-20-2006, 06:40 PM

'10 E63
Originally Posted by Cosmic Benz
So you're telling me that you can't reduce the compression ratio, put twin turbos on her and get max HP. The transmission would need beefing up?
You could do anything in theory, but if you were going to put turbos on one or the other it would make a lot more sense to use the E55, which already has a reduced compression ratio, forged internals, etc. because it was built for FI.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Hight compression ratio, weak tranny, what more can you ask from the new AMG's. lolz

Putting those aside, even if there are no weaknesses in the new AMGs, it would still be a long journey to extract a significant amount from the new motor. However you can improve its performance and not avoiding your warranty by putting it on a diet, weight saving is another route you can make an NA powered car goes faster.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
cost as well

Lets not forget the cost of modifying the new 63. It will most likely be a LOT more expensive then the 55.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:10 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
[QUOTE=Cosmic Benz The transmission would need beefing up?[/QUOTE]Y E S
Old 08-20-2006, 09:16 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
As it stands the E55 will continue to be the king of easy bolt on mods.

When MB brings us the E63 Twin turbo, the 55 will be supplanted. As all you turbo freaks out there know there is no end to modding TT. I'll just bide my time for a few years and trade for a sweet turbocharged 8 or 12 if the funds hold out.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Originally Posted by Vetluver
As it stands the E55 will continue to be the king of easy bolt on mods.

When MB brings us the E63 Twin turbo, the 55 will be supplanted. As all you turbo freaks out there know there is no end to modding TT. I'll just bide my time for a few years and trade for a sweet turbocharged 8 or 12 if the funds hold out.
That's IF Mercedes/AMG decides to make the car or bring the car over, but if it does, an electronic boost controller will surely dress up the interior a bit since I have 4-6 of them laying around. hee hee.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Cosmic Benz

No I'm not telling you that. Of course you can drop the compression ratio and have someone build a twin turbo kit for you. It should only cost you about $60k or so.

The 55 engine is an excellent platform for bolt-ons. The 63 engine is an amazing engine but it will be very costly to upgrade. However, with enough money just about anything can be accomplished.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I wasactually discussing this with a friend earlier. Has anyone here tried a turbo setup on an E55? If so, what advantages or disadvantages? My assumption was that it would make a stronger top end while giving up some of the low grunt. Personally, I'll keep the SC as I love the off the line acceleration. But, I could see where the SC can become limiting at high Revs.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by jangy
I wasactually discussing this with a friend earlier. Has anyone here tried a turbo setup on an E55? If so, what advantages or disadvantages? My assumption was that it would make a stronger top end while giving up some of the low grunt. Personally, I'll keep the SC as I love the off the line acceleration. But, I could see where the SC can become limiting at high Revs.

A turbo upgrade for the E55 would be awesome. These cars, especially, when modified by Kleemann, etc., have so much low end grunt that they're difficult to launch. Additional low end grunt is really not needed due to the large displacement of the engine. A turbo would help in the mid and upper range and would make for a monster of a car in the 1/4 mile.

I've modified cars many times and I've gone down both the turbo and the supercharger paths. I prefer the turbo by a long shot. Turbo's today are so effecient and lag is a thing the past. The power potential of a turbo is larger in most cases and you don't deal with the parasitic loss of a supercharger.

I can't image how much fun an E55 with twin Garrett GT30r turbos would be. Or, a drag monster using a GT35r! What a fun car this would be.