W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking my E55 in for service...what are my chances?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W221 S65 AMG
Question Taking my E55 in for service...what are my chances?

What are my chances if I tell them, DEMAND, that I have no ECU flash/recall under ANY circumstances. I was planning on

1) Telling them in person
2) Taping the OBD2 port w/a post in note
3) Putting instructions on the steering wheel not to FLASH the ECU
4) Putting instructions in the engine bay not to FLASH the ECU
5) Reminding with Voice Mail & Email
6) Requiring them to sign a document stating that they will not flash the ECU

I am parniod as you can tell. Losing significant HP is equivalent to losing all the mods $$$$ that I have spent on the car.

I am having the "C" service tomorrow as well as the Evo rotors and brake pads installed on all 4 corners.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
I would say not good, but may the force be with you. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:22 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take it to a good independent Mercedes garage. Shouldn't have any problem there.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:29 PM

2008 E63
All depends on the dealer. I had mine in last week for service. The dreaded air pump campaign came up and I told the service writer that under no circumstances would I allow a re-flash. The writer talked to the technician who told him without re-flash it was not worth doing. I told the writer to not do it. They agreed and the campaign will remain open no questions asked. Props to MB of St. Clair Shores. Now I just have to get them to do my planned Kleemann mods!
Old 08-23-2006, 12:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
He sould get the service free at the dealership.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:31 PM

2009 C63 Black on Black
Thumbs up Don't trust them!

Originally Posted by e55 baller
What are my chances if I tell them, DEMAND, that I have no ECU flash/recall under ANY circumstances. I was planning on

I am parniod as you can tell. Losing significant HP is equivalent to losing all the mods $$$$ that I have spent on the car.

I am having the "C" service tomorrow as well as the Evo rotors and brake pads installed on all 4 corners.
e55 Baller: I would make them sign an agreement that they will not reflash your car. This is probably the only thing that you could hang over their head!
Old 08-23-2006, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Yeah I think that is my only option too. I am drafting a letter now and will require my service manager to sign it.

Even if he signs it, what are the legal obligations? "Return my car back to the pre-flash" I am not a lawyer and do not know how to add terms in it other than to scare them with the letter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: 2003 E55 AMG Vin #

I am requesting by signatures below that [Dealer] will not under any circumstance flash the ECU of my Mercedes Benz E55 AMG.

Doing so will cause an irreversible change to the current ECU program.

As a result I am requiring that [Dealer] keep all campaigns (e.g., air pump campaign) that require or result in an ECU reflash open with notes not to perform the campaign at my request.

Thank you,

Me

Signature ________________________

Date ________________________

Assistant Service Manager

Signature ________________________

Date ________________________

Last edited by e55 baller; 08-23-2006 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:38 PM

2009 C63 Black on Black
Cool Keep it Simple!

Yeah I think that is my only option too. I am drafting a letter now and will require my service manager to sign it.

Even if he signs it, what are the legal obligations? "Return my car back to the pre-flash" I am not a lawyer and do not know how to add terms in it other than to scare them with the letter.
e55 baller: I would draft up a one paragraph letter very specific in regards to them agreeing not to reflash your vehicle under any circumstances. The intent of the letter must be to get them to agree not to reflash your car under any circumstances with out your permission. If they won't sign it, perform the service somewhere else. Good Luck!!
Old 08-23-2006, 01:58 PM

05 E55

I think you bring too much attention to your car and your mods if you don't let them reflash your ECU.

Do what I did... its super easy... let them reflash the ECU, drive it home, take your ECU out (2 minutes), fedex it to Cory at Kleeman where they will put the original K2 flash on it and fedex it back.

Worked perfectly! And now you're on record as having the flash done!

Loren
Old 08-23-2006, 02:10 PM

2003 Cobra
Can someone explain what changes the ECU flash does?
I know some are stating power loss, Someone in another post stated you lose the ability to turn off the O2 sensor code if you remove the cats. What else?
Is the power loss thing been proven?
Old 08-23-2006, 02:12 PM

2003 Cobra
Originally Posted by Loren
I think you bring too much attention to your car and your mods if you don't let them reflash your ECU.

Do what I did... its super easy... let them reflash the ECU, drive it home, take your ECU out (2 minutes), fedex it to Cory at Kleeman where they will put the original K2 flash on it and fedex it back.

Worked perfectly! And now you're on record as having the flash done!

Loren
Doesn't Cory have to have the original program first in order to be able to flash it back in the car after the update?
Old 08-23-2006, 02:14 PM

05 E55
Originally Posted by PARALYZER
Doesn't Cory have to have the original program first in order to be able to flash it back in the car after the update?
Nope... they literally just wipe it all with the K2 flash that previously worked... I learned that it is the standard K2 program all of us got before the ECU reflash crap by MB....
Old 08-23-2006, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
DO NOT let them flash your car, even if your tuner has a copy of your original software. for many, worrying about the attention this may bring to your mods is much easier than the alternative...i promise!
Old 08-23-2006, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nope... they literally just wipe it all with the K2 flash that previously worked... I learned that it is the standard K2 program all of us got before the ECU reflash crap by MB....
it's not that easy and yes cory will need to have an original file of your software (maybe not your original file but one that matches up with your vehicle).
Old 08-23-2006, 02:20 PM

2003 Cobra
Originally Posted by chiromikey
DO NOT let them flash your car, even if your tuner has a copy of your original software. for many, worrying about the attention this may bring to your mods is much easier than the alternative...i promise!
Please explain why? If the original program can be loaded back on, whats it hurting? Please forgive me for asking so many questions. I want to know as much as possible before pulling the trigger on this purchase.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:27 PM

05 E55
Originally Posted by chiromikey
it's not that easy and yes cory will need to have an original file of your software (maybe not your original file but one that matches up with your vehicle).
That's the point... as I noted, we ALL GOT THE SAME K2 program. Sure, they talked about tweaking it a little here and there, but if you call and ask they use the same damn code 95% of the time... which is why its the same darn code on a K3 and K4, too. That's why they tell people there's no need to reflash after a K4 upgrade.

We have the same K2 code. Even if they don't have the original K2 file they flashed you with (which they do, or where ever you had it done should have), they still just flash back the same darn K2 code every one of us has had for some time.

That's why the "new" K2 flash does not work on some people's cars... mine, for example. That code is the same and takes the new MB flash into consideration. Well, it works on some cars (Rocks), but not on others. Those of us that it doesn't work on have no supercharger and check engine lights. Why? Because MB has several new flashes for our cars, and it differs by VIN. Who knows why... but the bottom line is that the single new K2 flash... which is again, identical in each instance... will not work on those cars that get a different MB flash.

The point is the K2 flash from Kleeman is pretty much the same across the board unless you had some very special tweak done custom...

Loren
Old 08-23-2006, 02:41 PM

2003 Cobra

The point is the K2 flash from Kleeman is pretty much the same across the board unless you had some very special tweak done custom...

Loren
I hear what you are saying. I believe Chiro thought you were getting the original factory program flashed back on from Cory.

If my car is bone stock, and I want my original program back on the car after the reflash, Cory does NOT have this right? You would have to send it to him before the reflash from the dealer correct?
Old 08-23-2006, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Loren,

I may have read this too fast but I see in one instance above that the reflash worked w/ the old K2 from Kleeman, then lower that it doesn't work?

The dealer is mod friendly and know my car is all jacked up....they should be cool with this. I just don't want it happening by accident by some technicial that didn't get the 411 from my service manager.

So bottom line, if they F it up...I will be able to get it working with the old K2 software?

Thanks
Old 08-23-2006, 06:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05E55
Originally Posted by AMGcrazy
All depends on the dealer. I had mine in last week for service. The dreaded air pump campaign came up and I told the service writer that under no circumstances would I allow a re-flash. The writer talked to the technician who told him without re-flash it was not worth doing. I told the writer to not do it. They agreed and the campaign will remain open no questions asked. Props to MB of St. Clair Shores. Now I just have to get them to do my planned Kleemann mods!
I had the same experience. No problem. They left the recall open. I have a service D due in 2000 miles and am planning the same approach.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Just my 2 cents. I say you ask/watch the rep type in the computer not to reflash you, then just a REAL friendly post it on the ECU, you should be okay. Forms and notes all over is just askin for some punky tech to flash you out of spite. Good luck man
Old 08-23-2006, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Just my 2 cents. I say you ask/watch the rep type in the computer not to reflash you, then just a REAL friendly post it on the ECU, you should be okay. Forms and notes all over is just askin for some punky tech to flash you out of spite. Good luck man

I agree just be as friendly as possible. I always use the same service advisor and technician whenever my car is at the dealer. It all depends on how helpful they want to be, like showing that the recall work was completed when it really wasn't.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:05 PM

05 E55
Loren,

I may have read this too fast but I see in one instance above that the reflash worked w/ the old K2 from Kleeman, then lower that it doesn't work?

The dealer is mod friendly and know my car is all jacked up....they should be cool with this. I just don't want it happening by accident by some technicial that didn't get the 411 from my service manager.

So bottom line, if they F it up...I will be able to get it working with the old K2 software?

Thanks
yup... no matter what happens, you'll be up and running when they put the old K2 software back on... that's exactly what happened to me...

as for restoring the stock profile after the ecu flash... I would assume that Cory, Brandon and co have a zillion stock ecu files laying around... but it never hurts to merely ask them. I can't see why reverting back to stock would be any more difficult than any other flash... and I do know they keep all the stock profiles of every car they modify. So, they have my stock profile, my K2 profile, etc...

Loren
Old 08-24-2006, 12:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Loren is correct. If Kleeman chooses to do it is another story (not that they won't). but technically, they can.

I would NOT get it written on the record. I would have it agreed on the side. You never know when and if MBUSA's rep will review your record.

By the way, how much is the dealer charging for the Evo rotor install? Do you know if the AMG composite brakes will fit and are available? Would you mind asking your service rep, since it seems you have a very mod friendly place?
Old 08-24-2006, 01:00 AM
Banned

F248 F1
Why not take the car to an independent Mercedes shop?
They will listen to your request, and get the job done just as good if not better.

If you take it to the stealership, Hmm tell the service advisor not flash the ECU, and get some ‘danger’ ‘do not remove’ tape and wrap it around the ECU box? (put it on before you go to the stelaership) so you will know if they tinker with it or not ? haha

Are you afraid of them updating the new ECU with the software that we have a lot of members complaining that they can’t break the rear lose anymore – the so called ‘de tuned’ version, that no tuner can crack the code yet?

good luck in getting you car done !
Old 08-24-2006, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PARALYZER
Please explain why? If the original program can be loaded back on, whats it hurting? Please forgive me for asking so many questions. I want to know as much as possible before pulling the trigger on this purchase.
i don't know all the answers but i do bug the tuners as often as they let me. if your tuner has YOUR original software it shouldn't be a big deal with exception to down time if you have to send your ecu out. if they don't have a copy they can try to figure out which of the several versions of software your car came with. if they guess wrong that could compile even more issues you will have to deal with. it's just a HUGE headache that you can prevent if you can avoid the reflash to begin with.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Taking my E55 in for service...what are my chances?