W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

3 '07 E63's available

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2006 | 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by deaguero
Marcus: They should have put the same engine upgrades into the E55 that are going into the new 07' SL55. By not offering the E55 anymore they are trying to shove a "non-exclusive" car down our throats. That is exactly why I cancelled my order! It would have been real simple to upgrade the engine in the E55 to the same motor that's being offered in the SL. The E63 is really "Ho-Hum" and offers no advantages period and that is why you are going to continue to see slumping sales except for the ignorant buyer who must have the latest in spite of it offering very little over the previous model. I must say here that I do not disagree with your position of needing to sell the next version, but to the buyer such as many on this board if offers very little over the E55. Regards!
This is a little overblown I think. No advantages over the E55? That is a little ridiculous. The E55 already in reality produces something like 500hp to begin with and all they did with the 07' SL55 was squeeze a few more horses out with a new supercharger and other subtle tweaks so the change to the 07 SL55 isn't all that great either. The E63 is a exclusive model relative to the other E's and it has nothing to do with the M5.

M
Old 08-28-2006 | 06:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by MarcusBenz
The practice was adopted by MB in '03, when they went away from the turn & earn for each model. This was due to Glauser MB in Florida buying up all the old body SL's & pratically giving them away to earn allocation for the new body SL. This was a stroke of genius by them, because they got about 40 cars in the first run, where most other dealers got hardly any. MB has since went to an allocation practice that makes you sell the core products(C/E/M) to earn AMG & niche vehicles. Plus they have turned in to a more high volume manufacture, producing big numbers of cars, even AMG's. This is why they front load production of new models, because they want to meet the demand & understand that it will dwendle, further into the production life. Example, I know that when the CLK430 Cabriolet came out, there was about a 1.5 year waiting list to get that car. They realized that they were keeping the value & demand high, but in the end losing clients because the masses will not wait. Hence the front load practice they have now!
Very interesting strategy/practice. I guess that explains why there are so many AMG's available when a new model series comes out. I do worry though about them making to many of them and then running the risk of saturating the market in a year's time. Have S-Class sales slowed down?

M
Old 08-28-2006 | 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65, E55T, Pending S65
MBZ and AMG have tried to hoodwink us. The E63 is really no major improvement over the E55. They should have TT'd the puppy and they could have asked premiums for them. They really want to preserve the higher HP status of the S class, CL, and SL. If you notice they will not be putting the 6.2 motor in the SL or S class unless it is TT'd. Your going to see more and more E63's and CLS63's stack up on the lots as time goes by. They just want to get their R&D dollars back by putting N/A'd motors in the"Lesser" cars in their lineup! The final nail in the coffin will be how it runs against the E60 M5. All this talk of how smooth it is just is rubbish!
Have you even driven a 63 yet or is this another case of eating your young? No one is trying to force you to buy a 63 car. If you like your E55 so much then why not keep it?

Having driven the CLS63 and CLK63 at the Challenge event this year and having owned a CLS55 and a CLK55, I can tell you that the 63 platform is fantastic. Would I buy one, I don't know but the CLS63 on the track was far better balanced. It braked better, turned in better, and accelerated faster than the E55 that I drove on the same day.

From all initial indications, the E63 performs better on the track than the E55. You shouldn't be so critical about the comments of the car being smooth. On the race track, Smooth is FAST.

The E63 is the replacement for the E55, I hate to tell you but neither is exclusive and they never have been. They are production AMG cars. When the E55 hit the US in 2003, no one had any idea how that car would do in the market. Was there a shortage of cars then yes, at the time, a car like this did not exist. The old E55 and the M5 at the time were no where close. The exact same thing happened with the SL55 6 months before.

As for being hoodwinked by Mercedes. Why do you say that? Did you really think they were going to stick a 600HP Bi-turbo 63 into the E?

Since that new AMG CL is a CL63, does that throw out your argument regarding the 55 in the flagships cars? I would bet a good bottle of wine that the new S65 is to be followed by a S63 not a S55. Your info is a bit screwed up. Rumor has it that one of the reasons that the E and the CLS got the 63 early was due to the changing pedestrian impact laws in the EU. Hood height regulations dictated changes in engine clearance and the Kompressor motor was too tall.

Will the cars stack up at dealerships, probably. Especially when MB sends them 6 or 7 at a time to a dealership. Is that because everyone hates the car, no that is called supply and demand.

Why be a hater, why not enjoy each car for what it is. My advice to you is don't bother to drive a 63 you have made up your mind. Keep that fantastic E55 and drive it like you stole it.

Enjoy!
Old 08-28-2006 | 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
...........interesting read. as is usual, owners of a previous model are not as enthusiastic about their replacement. I do not own a W211 E55 and I am not in the market for an E63. What I have noticed is that owners of the NA AMG cars like ML55 and CLK55 are very excited aout the ML63 and the CLK63. The ML63 gets 150HP increase from the ML55 and the CLK gets 120HP increase without forced induction. Those numbers are just insane. HP is not everything but it sure sells cars. It appears that the E63 is an improvement on the W211 E55 as far as handling goes, but as is expected owners of the already superfast W211 E55 are not as enthusiastic as the CLK55 and ML55 owners. Whatever improvement the E63 offers over the W211 E55 is likely to be at the margins. The ML63 on the other hand is whole different story compared to the ML55.

Ted
Old 08-28-2006 | 12:09 PM

2012 SLS AMG
Interesting.....

deaguero..... Seems you have more than made your mind up about the E63. Just to let you know, I live on the East coast and as of last week there were NONE to be found. I had a dealer w/ multiple ties run an inventory and he couldn't find any E63's over here. Cali seems to get A LOT of cars, so too does Florida (gee....I wonder why?) I really don't think they will last. Most people aren't aware that they are there, hence the need for advertising.

I own an M3 (NA), have driven the E55, CLK55, CLS55 on a few occasions and while the absolute thrust is awesome, I TOO prefer the 63's refined power delivery. Part of the reason I went E63 is b/c the M3 (ZO6, 911, M5, etc.) are all too rough around the edges for daily driving and transporting family. Don't get me wrong, I plan on getting one of the aforementioned for fun (ZO6 or 997 TT).

Seems that there are actually a few people who have commented on the E63 and the smoothness being a good thing. By no means does that detract from its speed. Final numbers will tell. In any case, for me, it was a better car than the 55's and a better daily driver. That's why I ordered one.

By the way, many of us don't care if it is MUCH better than the E55, which you have a hard time understanding. AMG cars are LUXURY/performance cars. AMG has upped the luxury component w/o sacrificing performance. Some say they have actually added to it (if you believe the stock 0-60 numbers). If people wanted an M5, then THEY SHOULD GET ONE!!!! It is cheaper and will always handle better. Daily driving SUCKS tho'.

Anyway, as previously stated, if you love your E55 then great, keep it. If you hate E63's then don't get one. There are NOT a lot of cars at the dealers and they won't last. You do realize that only 20-25% of AMG owners even come near the forums on a regular basis, right? That leaves a great majority not knowing the availability of the new cars. Just cause a COUPLE dealers have cars doesn't mean everyone does.

PS... I guess all us ignorant folk will have to simply enjoy our cars even though we were 'screwed by MB AMG'.
Old 08-28-2006 | 09:43 PM

2009 SL63 AMG, sliver
E63

I too am an actual E63 owner, not just an E55 owner who has never seen a 63 in person but is nonetheless sure that the car sucks.

Besides the obvious change in the engine, there are some other advantages to the E63. For example, the addition of paddle shifters (which according to another thread on this forum, every E55 owner seems to wish they had). Plus larger brakes, an improved dynamic suspension, seven speed transmission, exterior changes (larger front grill, different taillights, larger rear spoiler etc) all of which I happen to like.
Also, if you consider the quoted acceleration times (0-60 and 1/4mile) MB seem to have managed to make a faster car despite the lower torque. So why not get to 60mph quicker but with less a jerky feel. This makes for a car that the family is happy to ride in but can smoke most anything off the line when it wants too. Seems perfect to me. Also, the increased HP is quite apperant when at highway speeds.

So far I have not felt "ripped off" for a single second while driving my new E63.
So I too am glad that you love your E55 and I agree that the 63 probably is not worth selling your 55 for, but for someone new to this market (I had and SLK before) the 63 is a terrific car.

PT
Old 08-28-2006 | 11:41 PM
Banned

'06 ML500 w/Apperance pkg & '07 SL550 w/AMG pkg
Originally Posted by pterion
I too am an actual E63 owner, not just an E55 owner who has never seen a 63 in person but is nonetheless sure that the car sucks.

Besides the obvious change in the engine, there are some other advantages to the E63. For example, the addition of paddle shifters (which according to another thread on this forum, every E55 owner seems to wish they had). Plus larger brakes, an improved dynamic suspension, seven speed transmission, exterior changes (larger front grill, different taillights, larger rear spoiler etc) all of which I happen to like.
Also, if you consider the quoted acceleration times (0-60 and 1/4mile) MB seem to have managed to make a faster car despite the lower torque. So why not get to 60mph quicker but with less a jerky feel. This makes for a car that the family is happy to ride in but can smoke most anything off the line when it wants too. Seems perfect to me. Also, the increased HP is quite apperant when at highway speeds.

So far I have not felt "ripped off" for a single second while driving my new E63.
So I too am glad that you love your E55 and I agree that the 63 probably is not worth selling your 55 for, but for someone new to this market (I had and SLK before) the 63 is a terrific car.

PT
Very well put!!
Old 08-28-2006 | 11:45 PM
ON PROBATION

And exactly what I expect - and why I am also plunking my money down for an E63.

Old 08-28-2006 | 11:46 PM

Also, if you consider the quoted acceleration times (0-60 and 1/4mile) MB seem to have managed to make a faster car despite the lower torque. So why not get to 60mph quicker but with less a jerky feel.
PT
Just curious...have you seen a factory quote on the 1/4 mile time for either the E63 or E55? If so, where?
Old 08-29-2006 | 01:32 AM

2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
personally, aside from the "wildebeast factor" of a dive into the throttle every once in awhile, truly the best and most appreciated thing about the AMG cars is the enhanced interior and exterior features. comparing the seating in my e55 to the e320/350/500 is like night and day. perhaps that alone isn't worth the extra dough (well, duh...), but i get a lot more benefit from it on a more ongoing basis than i do from bragging rights about horsepower and/or torque. i'd reckon that many who buy these cars appreciate the aesthetic enhancements over the "bread 'n butter" models as providing plenty enough "exclusivity" to impress the people who matter most in their lives. my wife loves the ventilated seats and the way the car looks inside; she's actually frightened of how powerful the drivetrain is. those MB/AMG designers/marketers know the "exclusivity" that matters, and smoking the odd M5 ain't it, at least within earshot of any dealer's cash register...
Old 08-29-2006 | 12:28 PM

03 E55
E63 is a nice car... us E55 owners are trying to justify the extra $$ of buying one. Is it THAT much better for the trade in loss, or extra cash outlay? Many opinions there, but no definite answers.
Old 08-29-2006 | 04:09 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by DarkStar
E63 is a nice car... us E55 owners are trying to justify the extra $$ of buying one. Is it THAT much better for the trade in loss, or extra cash outlay? Many opinions there, but no definite answers.
I doubt you'll ever get a definite answer. E55 vs E63 will always be an opinion due to the ways the cars are different. Unless the E63 was 100hp more or 1s faster, it'll all be opinion based, in my opinion.
Old 08-29-2006 | 04:57 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

The 55 is a better car for the US, as it has more of that low and midrange "happiness factor" we all love so much

Last edited by RJC; 08-29-2006 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-30-2006 | 12:07 AM

2009 C63 Black on Black
Thumbs down pterion - you are an ignorant moron!

PT
pterion: you are absolutely an ignorant moron! You make an assumption that I have never seen an E63. Well, just to let you know, I cancelled my order after my E63 arrived at my dealer and I decided to get a second E55 after 3 years in my first E55. My order was placed for the E63 one and a half years ago so don't make your ignorant assumption in your opening statement that you made! What makes you a fu$king expert? just because your E63 has all the options mentioned in your post? I guess your runt SLK has made you the consumate expert! So go scr@w yourself. If you don't like this response PM me MF!
Old 08-30-2006 | 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
pterion: you are absolutely an ignorant moron! You make an assumption that I have never seen an E63. Well, just to let you know, I cancelled my order after my E63 arrived at my dealer and I decided to get a second E55 after 3 years in my first E55. My order was placed for the E63 one and a half years ago so don't make your ignorant assumption in your opening statement that you made! What makes you a fu$king expert? just because your E63 has all the options mentioned in your post? I guess your runt SLK has made you the consumate expert! So go scr@w yourself. If you don't like this response PM me MF!
Calm down.
No reason for you to go off the rocker like this...
Old 08-30-2006 | 12:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Dude, don't hate on people that want the latest and greatest. You got a used one, right? Let him be. He never attacked you. I don't like your response and i won't be PMing you, but you need to grow up.
Old 08-30-2006 | 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
Yo!

Keep us SLK owners out of this ... and before you go off your rocker ... some of us SLK owners are also E55 owners.
Old 08-30-2006 | 10:15 PM

2009 SL63 AMG, sliver
Was this supposded to be funny or sarcastic or something? I can't believe you actually got this upset over a discussion of which 500hp, 90,000$ car is better. Ok Ok, they are both great and you definitely made the best choice by getting another 55 over the 63. You are clearly far more an expert on which car is better. Did you get an award from your dealer for picking the right one? Was there a party thrown in your honor? Or do people at stop lights drive up and say "nice work... good job not getting suckered into that new E63... you are the MAN!"

my point was that I am very happy with my car. And despite the lower torque, I have won 100% of all the races I have entered (zero), put up the best 1/4 mile time at every drag event I have attended and plan to attend (also zero).

Now, do I need to PM you and tell you how great you are, or do you feel better about yourself now?

I can type out how smart your are for picking the correct car again if that would help...

PT
Old 08-30-2006 | 10:17 PM

2009 SL63 AMG, sliver
Originally Posted by E63AMG
Just curious...have you seen a factory quote on the 1/4 mile time for either the E63 or E55? If so, where?
My mistake, I have not seem an actual 1/4 mile time, just the 0-60 and comments in articles that suggest that the 1/4 mile time will be as good or better.

PT
Old 08-30-2006 | 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
My word, flame alert!
My interpretation of pterions comments are that they were far from ignorant.
You've just had a sparkling 55 delivered, be happy.
Old 08-31-2006 | 10:51 AM
Banned

'06 ML500 w/Apperance pkg & '07 SL550 w/AMG pkg
Was this supposded to be funny or sarcastic or something? I can't believe you actually got this upset over a discussion of which 500hp, 90,000$ car is better. Ok Ok, they are both great and you definitely made the best choice by getting another 55 over the 63. You are clearly far more an expert on which car is better. Did you get an award from your dealer for picking the right one? Was there a party thrown in your honor? Or do people at stop lights drive up and say "nice work... good job not getting suckered into that new E63... you are the MAN!"

my point was that I am very happy with my car. And despite the lower torque, I have won 100% of all the races I have entered (zero), put up the best 1/4 mile time at every drag event I have attended and plan to attend (also zero).

Now, do I need to PM you and tell you how great you are, or do you feel better about yourself now?

I can type out how smart your are for picking the correct car again if that would help...

PT
Classic
Old 08-31-2006 | 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
My mistake, I have not seem an actual 1/4 mile time, just the 0-60 and comments in articles that suggest that the 1/4 mile time will be as good or better.

PT

..............pterion, are you a neurosurgeon?

Ted
Old 08-31-2006 | 01:05 PM

Now I am not naming names or pointing fingers regarding my next observation....I will leave that to all the impartial readers of this thread to assess .

However, the behavior of a certain individual here reminds me that "having money does not equal having class".

Last edited by E63AMG; 08-31-2006 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-31-2006 | 02:20 PM

'12 ML350
Originally Posted by E63AMG
Now I am not naming names or pointing fingers regarding my next observation....I will leave that to all the impartial readers of this thread to assess .

However, the behavior of a certain individual here reminds me that "having money does not equal having class".
Absolutely right. This is an observable and repeatable phenomenon each and every day on the island of Manhattan where I work!

Conversation between Ernest Hemingway and Mary Colum (found on Wikipedia):

Hemingway: I am getting to know the rich.
Colum: I think you’ll find the only difference between the rich and other people is that the rich have more money.

That's it, it's as simple as that...
Old 08-31-2006 | 02:41 PM

2009 SL63 AMG, sliver
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
..............pterion, are you a neurosurgeon?

Ted
Yes

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 3 '07 E63's available