W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will Someone Explain This Ecu Flash Issue!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Will Someone Explain This Ecu Flash Issue!

I had my car serviced back in April see my old post for my review. I am not having the same issue's as everyone else. https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/146476-service-campaign.html

I have read some people can't break'em loose with the ESP on or whatever. I can break my car loose from a stand still or if I'm careful with the launch I won't break'em loose until about 30mph. If I turn the ESP off I will fry my 275/30/19's like there is no tomorrow. I just found out about a 91 octane feature in your star diagnostic system make sure that your tech select that setting.
I have a kick *** tech that takes care of my Sh*t and he has lowered my car, set the fan back 10 degrees and now this 91 octane deal without me asking. I am waiting for another member here for feedback. I turned him onto my tech last week and I am waiting to see how his car runs now.

Last edited by Hammer Down; 09-09-2006 at 08:58 PM. Reason: wrong tire size
Old 09-09-2006, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
My car is running fine after the ecu reflash. No complaints.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 S550 designo Magno Cashmere White (Matte Finish)
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
If I turn the ESP off I will fry my 275/19/30's like there is no tomorrow.
WOW !!! I didn't know that 30's would fit on our cars !!
Old 09-09-2006, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
thanks cosm, good catch. i think most people knew what i was saying.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
If your car is stock I don't think it will be a problem. It's mostly the modded K2 etc cars having issues since MB remapped the ECU and made the tuner flashes not work correctly. At least thats my understanding.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'01 E55
I've driven many AMG's and performed many flashes to the ECU during this recall. I've never personally felt a loss of power or a rough idle some people are saying they have. I have only heard about this problem from forum members. There is no "buzz" in the service department about this issue.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I had my car serviced back in April see my old post for my review. I am not having the same issue's as everyone else. https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=146476

I have read some people can't break'em loose with the ESP on or whatever. I can break my car loose from a stand still or if I'm careful with the launch I won't break'em loose until about 30mph. If I turn the ESP off I will fry my 275/30/19's like there is no tomorrow. I just found out about a 91 octane feature in your star diagnostic system make sure that your tech select that setting.
I have a kick *** tech that takes care of my Sh*t and he has lowered my car, set the fan back 10 degrees and now this 91 octane deal without me asking. I am waiting for another member here for feedback. I turned him onto my tech last week and I am waiting to see how his car runs now.

Not to change the subject and I know you will get plenty of opinions n this, but can you tell us about this 91 octane thing? Is it possible to advance the timing by Star or NOT??
Old 09-10-2006, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
I had my car serviced back in April see my old post for my review. I am not having the same issue's as everyone else. https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=146476

i see you from the bay area! what dealer do you goto? and whos the tech? im new to the AMG class and i want to do some of the things you have done but want a person that knows his or her ****. thanks
Old 09-10-2006, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Rocket send me a pm.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:38 AM

E55
Originally Posted by ROCKETW19
i see you from the bay area! what dealer do you goto? and whos the tech? im new to the AMG class and i want to do some of the things you have done but want a person that knows his or her ****. thanks
Jack is the man at this dealership. He introduced me to his SA who is a very cool guy and to his tech, which is actually the shop foreman, who took care of everything in our car. If you want a SLR, S65, or E63, let Jack bring you to talk to the owner's son, and you will end up with a great deal, too.

Anyhow, the Tech knows about the reflash and reads our posting on this site. However, I didn't want to take the chance and ask not to do it yet. He said no problem since it is my car. I'm still waiting a little while until the dust settle before doing this.

Thanks to Jack, my car is incredible now. I almost didn't recognize my car when I picked it up. It was completely cleaned (almost like they did a quick detail) and quite slammed. The tech gave me the treatment he did to Jack's car!! So now, I have the Star lowering, 91 octane, and lower fan-on temp setting. The slight right pull is also slightly diminished. He could have given us the 93 octane tuning, but since we only have 91 octane, we had to settle for that.

Thanks Jack!! I’ll get you and the SA a nice big steak dinner or lunch or we can swing by the Hooters in Dublin .

PS : After picking up the car on Friday, I met up with a new blue M5 on 92. He smiled and waved over to say that he loves the car. I waved back and gave him the thumps up, too. Then we were trying to find some distance, but that never happened during peak hours even though we were going on 92 West on the bridge in the afternoon. Hahaha, I thought I grew out of that years ago. I was thinking what a good timing, with the newer 91 octane tuning and the fan temp setting that was just completed.

Back to topic:
No reflash here until the confusion is cleared up. The car is running great. I haven't have a chance to go crazy yet though, but it definitely feel a lot more responsive driving around. It's like how the car would run faster when it is cold out, but now it's running like that all the time. So I think the 91 octane tuning is changing the whole timing table not just at WOT.
However, since Jack’s car runs so well after, I’m starting to think one day I may get it. Jack, maybe it’s the 91 octane tuning and the fan setting that is making your car runs faster after the reflash since you had it done at the same time.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by bfnnrgn
If your car is stock I don't think it will be a problem. It's mostly the modded K2 etc cars having issues since MB remapped the ECU and made the tuner flashes not work correctly. At least thats my understanding.
there were several stock e55's from this forum that have had "the problem" after the flash (mine included) so it's not limited to modded cars. it does seem to affect '03 and '04 cars more than the newer models.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Hugh I'm glad that I was able to help you out. and believe me you will not be dissapointed with your car after the reflash. To all members....If you want your car done right pm me when it's time for service and I can intro you to my friends.