Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newcomers to E63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 02:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newcomers to E63

I've read so many postings from people debating their E55's vs. the new E63. Obviously these people love their E55's and I don't blame them and given what I've read I don't doubt the E63 may not be the spectacular upgrade from an E55 (or even one at all according to some).

However what I would like to see is people providing some comments for those who have never owned a Mercedes and would like to get an E63. I see all these other comments and it's pretty discouraging. Makes me feel at times I don't even want an E63. My intent is to move from a BMW E39 M5 into the E63. I have really admired what Mercedes has done over the last few years with the styling of their cars, the solidness and feel of power in them. I want a bit more luxury feel vs. the BMW but also want to keep the power.

So c'mon people, let's see some comments from those who are new to the E63 and what you think. Convince me it's a really good car and that I'll enjoy leaving the world of BMW . Also if someone can possibly give me some points on why I would like an E63 vs. a potentially upcoming S63 (besides price)?

And to all those out there who love their E55's (it's a great car, I wouldn't be looking at an E63 if it wasn't), I know how you feel wrt the E63 as I have thought similar things wrt the new M5 (part of the reason I am looking hard at the E63).

Last edited by simontam0; 09-11-2006 at 02:52 AM. Reason: title change
Old 09-11-2006, 06:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by simontam0
I've read so many postings from people debating their E55's vs. the new E63. Obviously these people love their E55's and I don't blame them and given what I've read I don't doubt the E63 may not be the spectacular upgrade from an E55 (or even one at all according to some).

However what I would like to see is people providing some comments for those who have never owned a Mercedes and would like to get an E63. I see all these other comments and it's pretty discouraging. Makes me feel at times I don't even want an E63. My intent is to move from a BMW E39 M5 into the E63. I have really admired what Mercedes has done over the last few years with the styling of their cars, the solidness and feel of power in them. I want a bit more luxury feel vs. the BMW but also want to keep the power.

So c'mon people, let's see some comments from those who are new to the E63 and what you think. Convince me it's a really good car and that I'll enjoy leaving the world of BMW . Also if someone can possibly give me some points on why I would like an E63 vs. a potentially upcoming S63 (besides price)?

And to all those out there who love their E55's (it's a great car, I wouldn't be looking at an E63 if it wasn't), I know how you feel wrt the E63 as I have thought similar things wrt the new M5 (part of the reason I am looking hard at the E63).

.........notice that the people that are very excited about the AMG 63 series are previous ML55 owners and previous CLK55 owners. For them the 63 series is a huge power improvement of over 120HP. Same will probably go for previous non AMG owners, except previous M5 owners. The E63 as currently described is like the new M5. Slow off the line but a beast up top. So if you didn't like the M5, you won't like the E63. As for S63, forget about it. Imagine an M5's low end performance, then add abother 600LBs to the M5.........you get an S63.

Ted
Old 09-11-2006, 09:02 AM

2009 SL63 AMG, sliver
I guess it depends on what you are looking for in your next car.
I love my E63, it has all the power I will ever need (I don't race at all), it is a blast to drive in the curves, and is extremely comfortable to drive in the city.

It does not have the low end torque of the E55, but since i never owned an E55 that makes no difference to me. It is plenty fast and at highway speeds it is just a rocket. You can jump from 50 to 100 in a heart beat.

I also like the exterior changes MB made. The front grill, the spoiler etc. It is a real head turner.

Good luck on your decision!

PT
Old 09-11-2006, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ted's point on relativity is well taken. Certainly, I've been spoiled by my E55 and thus the bar was set rather high. That being said, a 13.01 is still a slow 13.01. It is still an awesome car. I've got the feeling that on a road course, it would just be WONDERFUL. The car is super in everyway except for 1/2 second over the course of 1,280 feet in a straight line. While that is a big deal to some of us weirdos, it's not the end of the AMG world if it ends up being true for all E63's. It is truly an impressive vehicle, did I mention the MAX AC button rocks?
Old 09-11-2006, 10:32 AM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Having gone from MB to BMW back to MB, I wouldn't go back to BMW on a bet. Not that BMW doesn't make a fine car, it's just not comfortable to me. The MB interior and specifically, the seats are far superior to anything in the BMW line.

As far as the debate between 55ers and 63ers, you have to liken it to sibling bickering. If the E55 had not existed the E63 might be one of the best cars in the world regardless of cost. Comfort, handling quietness, MB smoothness are all there. Unfortunately as Derek mentioned above we're all spoiled. The E55 is an icon of straight line performance. It has it's warts but most of us here were drawn to the rip your eyeballs out torque rather than the luxury and plethora of other nicities. Having driven a 500+ HP Vette for 15 years I wasn't ready to give up my low end torque yet.

As to the question of why MB did't continue to use comprssors, it can be summed up in 3 words, emissions, mileage, and safety (pedestrian impact standards in the EU).

K cars could not be made to be clean enough for future standards.

With the price of premium going to $3/gal in the US they obviously wanted their cars to get better than 15mpg in town. The E63 gets more than 20mpg in town by recent reports.

Drive the E63 and see if you like it, you will. It is a fantastic car, it just may not be as quick as previous iterations at normal street speeds
Old 09-11-2006, 10:34 AM

wrt Ted's comments about reasons for not liking the M5 then I won't like the E63.

There are a few things that concerns me about the M5 that are distinctly different in the E63. The SMG in the M5 a lot of people don't seem to like. The torque monster still exists in the E63 when compared to the M5 (sure, maybe not when compared to the E55 but remember I haven't experienced that before). I feel like the new M5 is more plasticky. I'm coming from an older M5 so I'm sure I will notice a fair bit of change in the E63.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:17 AM
Almost a Member!

'07 e63
have had the e63 for two weeks now..

As far as feed back from people coming from other marques, that would be me. I have never owned a MB. My past cars are: p 968, BMW e36 M3, P 996 '02, BMW e46 m3. My last car was an '03 BMW m3. Coming from an M5 you probably know the car fairly well. Quite fast, 0-60 in 4.7-4.8 and 1/4 very low 13's.

I noticed a HUGE increase power in the lower RPM's than the M3 and seat of the pants feel was: "this is a much faster car!" To go fast in the m3, I would have whine the car out to get it, and had to endure that high Rpm raspy whine, which some of the time was exhilarating, but gets a bit obnoxious everytime I would want to "thump it." The E63 rockets with a much lighter thump on the gas and doesn't announce to everyone w/i 1000 feet that "hey look at me, I'm driving fast." Also, above 60 MPH it just seems to wants to keep on going. The speedometer needle looks like the tachometer needle to me, as far as urgency going to the right.

I am doing my best to adhere to break-in procedures and I realize it can still be pretty exciting pushing it to 4500 Rpm, and a little over.

I have no regrets, thus far. I bought this car when I get fed up with having my deposit sit for 6 months waiting on an M5. Nothing against BMW, but I got a little impatient and wanted a change from BMW's, but something that was faster, or as fast as the m5. Mission accomplished, if you ask me.

The talk of Derek FSU's car is a bit dissapointing. I think his case is an anamoly, which some the e55 guys breathed a sigh of relief when comparing their e55's to the e63. I will take my car to the drag when I have a few more miles on it. I believe it is a 12.something car. I will look forward to October or so, when Car and Driver, Motor Trend, Road and Track publish their road tests of the car. I don't put total faith in just one, but the concensus of the three, or more, will give us something to "chew on." I think the car will test extremely well, and will be on the mark of what MB says it does, maybe better. BTW, Uk's Autocar tested it and did a 0-60 in 4.1 s. That article is linked on another thread on this MBoard.

In summary, so far, I am happy as can be. It is the fastest car I have ever owned...So far.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:57 AM

14 'E550
Originally Posted by Vetluver
The MB interior and specifically, the seats are far superior to anything in the BMW line.
I do have to say BMWs 20way comfort seats are very nice. The sport seats in the 5series not so nice, stiff as a board and the headrests suck.