Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E55 vs E63 - MBUSA Comments

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 10:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
E55 vs E63 - MBUSA Comments

Emailed AMG product manager about my concerns over E63 performance as I have an E63 wagon ordered to replace 03 E55 coming off lease.

Looks like MBUSA will post some comparisons on the AMG private lounge site.

Here are excerpts from MBUSA response

"Like you, we were also interested in head-to-head comparisons of the cars,
both under acceleration, as well as on the track where other performance
characteristics (braking, handling, lateral acceleration) could be
compared.

Basically, the E63 AMG is a much smoother and more linear performer,. For
acceleration, this means that the 0-60 mph times are more consistent and
easily achieved, whereas with the E55 AMG Kompressor, the torque being
available at a much lower engine speed, frequently causing wheelspin (and
ESP / ASR actuation) under hard acceleration. Our tests yielded more
consistent results for the E63 AMG, although in some cases the E55 AMG
delivered a lower elapsed time at the dragstrip.

On the road course racing track we used, the advantage of the E63 AMG was
much greater. On the same day under identical conditions, out pro driver
lapped the 1.48 mile track at 3-4 seconds quicker in the E63 AMG
consistently. This can be attributed to the superior compound brakes,
revised suspension, 7 speed AMG Speedshift automatic with shift paddles as
well as the lower weight of the engine (-47 lb) over the front axle.
Further, our drivers found the E63 AMG much smoother, more progressive and
easier to drive fast.

We plan to show information and other cool stuff from our testing on
Mercedes-amg.com/privatelounge very soon so that you can see the E63 AMG
results for yourself."

Put my E63 order on hold pending release of comparison data.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by 1994E500
"...although in some cases the E55 AMG
delivered a lower elapsed time at the dragstrip..."
this is quite a big piece of information that mb should have been honest about up front.

every present publication i've seen shows mb claiming the e63 to be undeniably quicker in every category and now they are saying that it's just more "consistent"...wtf??? subtle little statements like this hidden in several paragraphs of e63 praise sounds like spin control to me.

i'd be really pissed if i just gave up an e55 for this. and this doesn't help mb against all the detuned e55 conspiracy theories either.

Last edited by chiromikey; 09-13-2006 at 12:29 AM.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05E55
Good stuff! Thanks for the info.

I don't think most amg owners care about lap times at the track. Atleast I don't. I just want a good looking 4 door grocery getter/kid hauler that will bruise a few egos on the street ala 55, 65 600 etc. If I cared about lap times I would buy a Pcar not a 4 door sedan. (which I have) Why MB is going down that road is beyond me. Stick to the niche of building torque monsters and let BMW focus on F1 technology for 4 doors (they do it well, but it's not for me).
Old 09-12-2006, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I completely agree except for the part about that says, "some cases the E55 AMG delivered a lower elapsed time at the dragstrip."

Even though I have not had it on the track, believing that it is far superior to the E55 is not hard to believe. The initial bite on the brakes is almost as good as my Noble, truly impressive. Had I never had an E55, I would be COMPLETELY satisfied with the E63- it's a fine car.

That being said, it's going back. Honestly, I think the E55 prefers the thought of the M6 next to it.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:55 PM
MBH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55 Delivered 01/07/05
This is no surprize, since Rob Allen of Mercedes Benz AMG USA told us at AMGFEST this year that the E55 did pull slight quicker times downt the 1/4 mile over the E63. He also told us that the E63 performed better on a road corse than the old E55 just like you heard.

This is what I heard from Rob Allen sitting 10 feet away from him during his presentation at AMGFEST last month. Personally when it comes time to sell my '05 E55 down the road I will seriously consider the E63.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by 1994E500
Emailed AMG product manager about my concerns over E63 performance as I have an E63 wagon ordered to replace 03 E55 coming off lease.

Looks like MBUSA will post some comparisons on the AMG private lounge site.

Here are excerpts from MBUSA response

"Like you, we were also interested in head-to-head comparisons of the cars,
both under acceleration, as well as on the track where other performance
characteristics (braking, handling, lateral acceleration) could be
compared.

Basically, the E63 AMG is a much smoother and more linear performer,. For
acceleration, this means that the 0-60 mph times are more consistent and
easily achieved, whereas with the E55 AMG Kompressor, the torque being
available at a much lower engine speed, frequently causing wheelspin (and
ESP / ASR actuation) under hard acceleration. Our tests yielded more
consistent results for the E63 AMG, although in some cases the E55 AMG
delivered a lower elapsed time at the dragstrip

much greater. On the same day under identical conditions, out pro driver
lapped the 1.48 mile track at 3-4 seconds quicker in the E63 AMG
consistently. This can be attributed to the superior compound brakes,
revised suspension, 7 speed AMG Speedshift automatic with shift paddles as
well as the lower weight of the engine (-47 lb) over the front axle.
Further, our drivers found the E63 AMG much smoother, more progressive and
easier to drive fast.

We plan to show information and other cool stuff from our testing on
Mercedes-amg.com/privatelounge very soon so that you can see the E63 AMG
results for yourself."

Put my E63 order on hold pending release of comparison data.
..........They have all but admitted that the E55 is faster. Controversy is over. The E63 apparently is a better handling car and does better on a road course. Like I said ealier, MB/AMG essentially built an M5 for their AMG customers. They don't get it. If we wanted such a car, we would have bought the M5 long time ago. What I don't understand is why someone went through a considerable and apparently deceptive effort of releasing acceleration times for the E63 that were in the super car category.

Ted
Old 09-13-2006, 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Because they clearly stated that in some cases, not always.

M
Old 09-13-2006, 09:07 AM

'10 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by chiromikey
this is quite a big piece of information that mb should have been honest about up front.

every present publication i've seen shows mb claiming the e63 to be undeniably quicker in every category and now they are saying that it's just more "consistent"...wtf??? subtle little statements like this hidden in several paragraphs of e63 praise sounds like spin control to me.

i'd be really pissed if i just gave up an e55 for this. and this doesn't help mb against all the detuned e55 conspiracy theories either.
Totally agree, Mike! Wow, this coming from MB sounds like they are trying to say the crow they are now eating doesn't really taste that bad going down ("the composite brakes gives it a nice spicey flavor - much better than plain, unseasoned crow")! This is a big "oops!!" for the AMG section, I think. Maybe if there is enough negative feedback and "WTF, you guys?!?! We trusted you and you bufed us!!" responses from consumers like us, it'll prompt them to start thinking hard about a F/I solution with the next iteration of the E-Class! No harm in wishing / hoping!
Old 09-13-2006, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by Germancar1
Because they clearly stated that in some cases, not always.

M
...........Yes, in some cases a any car can be faster than any car. What has this got to do with which car is actually faster?

Ted
Old 09-13-2006, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
although in some cases the E55 AMG
delivered a lower elapsed time at the dragstrip.

much greater.
DING DING DING DING!!!! and we have an answer everybody (crowd erupts)

Well there you have it, course we all knew it but now it's confirmed. This is a track car built pretty much with an M5 on the wall with the words "We're comin" printed.

I would say mission accomplised and GREAT JOB AMG. All those years we have heard how, "It handles like a pig compared to the M5 are finally over"

You did it, we are all proud...........now cut the ***** and slap the forced induction back on and let's get back to the business of brute force before you lose 75% of your sales base.

I want twisties, I will always buy Bimmer, I want luxury/nose bleed power from satanic torque, I buy AMG.

Least the mystery is over. It's an F1 car, while we all love our Nitro Funny Cars.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:01 AM

CLS55
i think we can all wait two more says to see what happens at Trackday!!!!

in which case we will have all these cars (e55, m5, e63, etc) in attendence.... and the only spin will be from the wheels!
Old 09-13-2006, 10:08 AM

'10 E63 AMG
AMG Lounge

I went to the AMG Lounce, and couldn't find that quote, nor could I find the "forum" part of the lounge where you have to sign in. I thought I had signed up on this site, but now I can't find it. Am I looking in the wrong place? Can someone direct me? Thanks!
Old 09-13-2006, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
DING DING DING DING!!!! and we have an answer everybody (crowd erupts)

Well there you have it, course we all knew it but now it's confirmed. This is a track car built pretty much with an M5 on the wall with the words "We're comin" printed.

I would say mission accomplised and GREAT JOB AMG. All those years we have heard how, "It handles like a pig compared to the M5 are finally over"

You did it, we are all proud...........now cut the ***** and slap the forced induction back on and let's get back to the business of brute force before you lose 75% of your sales base.

I want twisties, I will always buy Bimmer, I want luxury/nose bleed power from satanic torque, I buy AMG.

Least the mystery is over. It's an F1 car, while we all love our Nitro Funny Cars.
I agree! 100%

But I'm pretty sure Brabus, Renn or Kleeman will fit a low boost kompressor to increase torque. The tranny has limitations as we know, but all we need is torque to be sooner and the WHOLE problem is solved. Of course the FI on the engine will increase HP as well, but the design should be based on created torque at the lower RPMS.

So if you would imagine this.

6.3 with low boost Komp
575hp
525lbs torque at around 2.5k rpms

7 spds

better handling
better braking

I'm not taking in consideration price of the mod, but since a K2 with IC mod runs about $10k+... it would not be very more than that.

Just food for thought.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Well, this confirms that I will NEVER trade my E55 in for an E63. If i want a more track-oriented car, I will simply purchase an M5. I liked the AMG M-B's because of their unique character and excellent power, not because I want to chase BMW's around the track.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:48 PM

2006 E55 Black
Yeah, me too...

As others have said so well, I think AMG saw the BMW M5 as the target... and forget that what AMG customers want is brutal low end torque. I WANT to see TC light flicker everytime I hit the gas! I will never, ever, take my E55 to a road course sort of track. I don't drive on the Autobahn, and I can't drive at 100+ on the highways anywhere around here.

All my fun is between 0 to 70 MPH. And I want to go from 0 to 70 right this instant, anytime I want. If not for that, I wouldn't bother with an AMG at all. I'm Soooo glad I bought my 2006 E55, it's flawless and fantastic. I'll drive it for years to come.

Now, my question to the community is, why not make our next car an E550 and buy the Kleemann S/C for it? Has anyone created a S/C E550 yet? I'll bet it would compare quite nicely to the 03-06 E55k. I'll bet it could be as fast as any E55 or E63 in the 1/4 and would cost less.

Cheers
Old 09-13-2006, 02:59 PM

14 'E550
News flash......you don't have to be on a road course to appreciate buttoned up handling, steering, and braking. Maybe unless you live in FL.

To me, I'll gladly give up a slightly lower 1/4 time for better "all" around performance.

That's what makes a great performance car, not just straight line performance.

I guess if you're into racing red light to red light, then the E55 is for you. Better yet....get a GT500, one company put $2500 (give or take) into one and ran a 11.06 1/4 at 131mph and a 10.99 at 129mph.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:03 PM

2009 C63 Black on Black
Smile Ditto, Ditto, Ditto!!!

Originally Posted by KenE55
As others have said so well, I think AMG saw the BMW M5 as the target... and forget that what AMG customers want is brutal low end torque. I WANT to see TC light flicker everytime I hit the gas! I will never, ever, take my E55 to a road course sort of track. I don't drive on the Autobahn, and I can't drive at 100+ on the highways anywhere around here.

All my fun is between 0 to 70 MPH. And I want to go from 0 to 70 right this instant, anytime I want. If not for that, I wouldn't bother with an AMG at all. I'm Soooo glad I bought my 2006 E55, it's flawless and fantastic. I'll drive it for years to come.

Now, my question to the community is, why not make our next car an E550 and buy the Kleemann S/C for it? Has anyone created a S/C E550 yet? I'll bet it would compare quite nicely to the 03-06 E55k. I'll bet it could be as fast as any E55 or E63 in the 1/4 and would cost less.

Cheers
I feel vindicated after all the heat I took early on from other E63 buyers and planned buyers and Slick MB Sales folks (you know who you are!) when I cancelled my E63 order and got another E55! The sarcastic comments about my buying a "Used" E55 I can fling back at them now! I am really happy with my decision.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by Beltfed
News flash......you don't have to be on a road course to appreciate buttoned up handling, steering, and braking. Maybe unless you live in FL.

To me, I'll gladly give up a slightly lower 1/4 time for better "all" around performance.

That's what makes a great performance car, not just straight line performance.

I guess if you're into racing red light to red light, then the E55 is for you. Better yet....get a GT500, one company put $2500 (give or take) into one and ran a 11.06 1/4 at 131mph and a 10.99 at 129mph.
..........good point. With your logic, what I don't understand is why would you buy an E63 in the first place? Why not buy a perfectly nice handling, great steering and excellent breaking E550 4matic?

Ted
Old 09-13-2006, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by deaguero
I feel vindicated after all the heat I took early on from other E63 buyers and planned buyers and Slick MB Sales folks (you know who you are!) when I cancelled my E63 order and got another E55! The sarcastic comments about my buying a "Used" E55 I can fling back at them now! I am really happy with my decision.
i surely second guessed your decision to pass up on the e63. i'm now humbled by your intuition.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:16 PM

14 'E550
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
..........good point. With your logic, what I don't understand is why would you buy an E63 in the first place? Why not buy a perfectly nice handling, great steering and excellent breaking E550 4matic?

Ted
You have a good point as well and it has crossed my mind, have a FG E63 due in Nov.

What to do?

Guess there are some positives and negatives in both regards.

There is indeed a big *** price difference.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:30 PM

2007 SL550, 2008 S65, Golf cart and a few non-MB vehicles
oblax4

Very sharp car! love the wheels. What part of Ponte Vedra are you in? I used to live in The Plantation.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by KenE55

Cheers
the only advantage in this would be the 7sp, which can only handle so much torque.

After the engine boost to about 480hp (100hp for the komp on a 5.5L engine)
wheels and tires, suspension, better brakes,

it will still have a power limitation and will lake the AMG name, which add a bit of value to any MB.

I paid 53k for my 03 with 15k miles... A new E550 would be easily in the 60's.
O5 E55's are going for the low 60's now. Therefore right now the E550 with mods is not cost effective. Your theory will be true a few years from now, when one can pick up a E550 cheaper.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:43 PM

05 E55
Originally Posted by TopGun32
I agree! 100%

But I'm pretty sure Brabus, Renn or Kleeman will fit a low boost kompressor to increase torque. The tranny has limitations as we know, but all we need is torque to be sooner and the WHOLE problem is solved. Of course the FI on the engine will increase HP as well, but the design should be based on created torque at the lower RPMS.

So if you would imagine this.

6.3 with low boost Komp
575hp
525lbs torque at around 2.5k rpms

7 spds

better handling
better braking

I'm not taking in consideration price of the mod, but since a K2 with IC mod runs about $10k+... it would not be very more than that.

Just food for thought.

You're forgetting one teeny little difference... which takes us back to the original problem: The K2 would have 630 torque, quite a difference...

Loren
Old 09-13-2006, 09:58 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Still getting an AMG wagon to replace 03 E55

......but it is an 06 E55 wagon, arriving tomorrow.

I like the functionality of a wagon - hunting dog in the back etc, and in particular the sleeper status of the E55 wagon. The extra weight on the rear also addresses some of the traction issues and since I don't plan on going on a road course the faster lap times in the E63 do not compensate for the lower torque. As Derek said the E63 is a fine car that most people will be happy with, unless they have recently owned an E55.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Originally Posted by TopGun32
No way a Kleemann blower for the 63 is going to be anywhere near 10K, if it ever happens. Their setup for a W210 is 15K with installation. That puts a loaded E63 with K blower in the 110K range. After you pick up the 7G trans you've spread all over the road and someone figures out how to keep it together with that power, you're out even more.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E55 vs E63 - MBUSA Comments