Sponsored by:

IC heat exchanger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Has anyone tried spraying nitrous on the heat exchanger yet? My Kleemann CLK55 has a different setup than you guys (its basically a seperate cooling system with a one way valve that allows coolant to flow into the intercooler circuit form the engine coolant circuit in case of a leak). I have already upgraded to a much bigger custom dual passfront mount heat exchanger and already had the Johnson 90L/minute marine pump. Time to take the next step Would the water/coolant feeze if I made a bar over the heat exchanger that sprayed nitrous?
Old 06-04-2007, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Has anyone tried spraying nitrous on the heat exchanger yet? My Kleemann CLK55 has a different setup than you guys (its basically a seperate cooling system with a one way valve that allows coolant to flow into the intercooler circuit form the engine coolant circuit in case of a leak). I have already upgraded to a much bigger custom dual passfront mount heat exchanger and already had the Johnson 90L/minute marine pump. Time to take the next step Would the water/coolant feeze if I made a bar over the heat exchanger that sprayed nitrous?
What type of results did you see with your larger heat exchanger. I think spraying your heat exchanger will help prevent heat soak, but I don't think it will create more HP.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by SleeperX
What type of results did you see with your larger heat exchanger. I think spraying your heat exchanger will help prevent heat soak, but I don't think it will create more HP.
Well I've only been back to the track once since then and I did end up running the same time 11.7 The difference was that it was 40+ degrees warmer and higher humidity at the track. I also added an eisenmann race exhaust since then. I've been very busy doing shows and havent had time to go back (also kinda lost interest in performance stuff because at this point every hp costs ALOT of $$$) I need to go back when its cooler. Preventing heat soak is a big concern for me.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
I think allot of what has been said on cooling IAT's addresses recovery and build up. But not much out there that I have seen will reduce peak IAT's - paticularly if you are running more boost. Please someone tell me I am wrong... as I am about to fit an additional H.E. anyway.

To get PEAK IAT's down you need to directly treat the air .. i.e. upgrade I/C - almost impossible unless you got to SLR type and got that to fit or the next would be water injection but its also a PITA to map properly... so unless Victor reveals the holy grail soon ... the hot air will continue!
Old 06-04-2007, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by stevebez
I think allot of what has been said on cooling IAT's addresses recovery and build up. But not much out there that I have seen will reduce peak IAT's - paticularly if you are running more boost. Please someone tell me I am wrong... as I am about to fit an additional H.E. anyway.

To get PEAK IAT's down you need to directly treat the air .. i.e. upgrade I/C - almost impossible unless you got to SLR type and got that to fit or the next would be water injection but its also a PITA to map properly... so unless Victor reveals the holy grail soon ... the hot air will continue!
What about this?
https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...9&d=1101871849

This is a picture of a car with a Cryogenic Air Intake Bulb. The bulb sits in the air intake tube and is cooled with CO2 to -80 degrees F. My biggest concern with this setup is that the bulb will block the passage of air.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Thats a pretty neat install ... how big is the bulb and how much does it cool the air ? Surely not to -80?

If so I would worry about the S/C as with that air density it will be working damn hard ...

Just had a thought ... how about flipping the S/C upsidedown and fitting a thinner and larger I/C just above it ???? May also need a big hole in bonnet to vent nicely - but dont think this is a solution....

I know its a major mod etc etc ... but trying to think outside the box here.

What type of IAT drop can one expect with a decent water injection setup?

If its in the >30deg C range then I think am going to do it.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by stevebez
Thats a pretty neat install ... how big is the bulb and how much does it cool the air ? Surely not to -80?

If so I would worry about the S/C as with that air density it will be working damn hard ...

Just had a thought ... how about flipping the S/C upsidedown and fitting a thinner and larger I/C just above it ???? May also need a big hole in bonnet to vent nicely - but dont think this is a solution....

I know its a major mod etc etc ... but trying to think outside the box here.

What type of IAT drop can one expect with a decent water injection setup?

If its in the >30deg C range then I think am going to do it.
The manufacturer claims a 50 degree temperature drop. Take a close look at the bulb however, it looks fairly restrictive. They claim only a .1% loss in air passage.

http://www.cryo2.com/images/photogal...air_intake.jpg

http://www.cryo2.com/images/faqs/FAQ...r%20Intake.pdf
Old 06-04-2007, 10:25 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
This looks interesting...
Old 06-04-2007, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
I ordered the Aquamist Methanol Injection Kit... , as per my mechanic this combo along with a nice heat exchanger should be a powerful set up. We will see after I install it. I don't plan on running a high alcohol level, most likely a 50/50 mix.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
The manufacturer claims a 50 degree temperature drop. Take a close look at the bulb however, it looks fairly restrictive. They claim only a .1% loss in air passage.

http://www.cryo2.com/images/photogal...air_intake.jpg

http://www.cryo2.com/images/faqs/FAQ...r%20Intake.pdf
I want to try placing the bulb in the coolant tank.

Pre-charger will get heated as air is compressed.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
I want to try placing the bulb in the coolant tank.

Pre-charger will get heated as air is compressed.
Seperate the two cooling circuits,make a small resevoir for the IC circuit side,install the bulb in there and you might be onto something.Other than that,I doubt it would work by just placing it the expansion tank for both circuits.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
What about this?
https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...9&d=1101871849

This is a picture of a car with a Cryogenic Air Intake Bulb. The bulb sits in the air intake tube and is cooled with CO2 to -80 degrees F. My biggest concern with this setup is that the bulb will block the passage of air.
who's set up is this and where's the report on it's results?
Old 06-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by Jrocket
Seperate the two cooling circuits,make a small resevoir for the IC circuit side,install the bulb in there and you might be onto something.Other than that,I doubt it would work by just placing it the expansion tank for both circuits.
You think that would add more power? My two cooling circuits are seperate. I think having the air cooled like the pic posted would be a much better way to gain power.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
You think that would add more power? My two cooling circuits are seperate. I think having the air cooled like the pic posted would be a much better way to gain power.

I doubt you would see enough results to be worth doing but if you combined a few tricks at once the outcome might be noticable.

I just picture a large volume a hot flowing water,now how big of an ice cube would you have to place in the center of that water to get a substantial drop in temps?
Old 06-04-2007, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by chiromikey
who's set up is this and where's the report on it's results?
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ighlight=cryo2

A forum member by the name of Bux. Take a look at the above thread. Unfortunately, there are no results. I am somewhat skeptical about this mod however, because if you look closely the cryo2 bulb occupies about 3/4 of the diameter of the tube. I think this could block air flow.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
I just picture a large volume a hot flowing water,now how big of an ice cube would you have to place in the center of that water to get a substantial drop in temps?
Exactly why the CO2 system would be ideal - capacity for heat absorption limited only by bottle size......

A reduction of air temp post-supercharger would be more noticable, IMO.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
Not sure I'd call it the proper way but I do agree its the best and most effective way.Problem is some dealers wont accept the IC mods and its far too much of a hassle to take off everytime I need to take it in for service.So a spary bar is the alternate idea,easy on and off.As long as the results are good enough.

Is MBLN a mod friendly service center?If so I might have to switch dealers.

i DOUBT A TECH WOULD EVEN KNOW IT WAS THERE!!! This isn't somthing they would even care about. I leave my whole NOS system on and have been to 2 different steallers in my area they could care less!! and actually think its cool!
Old 06-04-2007, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by BMWEATR
i DOUBT A TECH WOULD EVEN KNOW IT WAS THERE!!! This isn't somthing they would even care about. I leave my whole NOS system on and have been to 2 different steallers in my area they could care less!! and actually think its cool!
Maybe,but it only takes that one tech thats mad at the world or for what ever reason,and you have problems.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:43 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55

Maybe two of these would do the trick.

They have a -6AN (3/8") and a -10 (5/8") size. Anybody know how big the lines on the IC are?

Instead of cooling the fuel, one would route the coolant going to the intercooler (under s-charger) through a couple of these. -80f is a lot cooler than ice.

A simple in-line system would use more Co2, but would require no separation of the cooling systems.

Maybe here?

Last edited by ChicagoX; 06-04-2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by ChicagoX

Maybe two of these would do the trick.

Instead of cooling the fuel, one would route the coolant going to the intercooler (under s-charger) through a couple of these. -80f is a lot cooler than ice.

A simple in-line system would use more Co2, but would require no separation of the cooling systems.

Maybe here?
I can keep a secret no more.. I was waiting untit I got my car back and I can actually beta test this idea (dyno results as well as IAT before and after) before spilling the beans.. Yes, I think these bars will work very well. I will post pics later this evening...
Old 06-04-2007, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
For track or dyno days I think some of the Cryo ideas would be fine,but the key is too find whats best for day to day driving,without relying on refills or etc.

Nitrous spray bar directly through the actuall IC core would be the best bet for track days I would think.Or better yet,just spray it into the motor,seems to work for Rflow306!! LOL
Old 06-04-2007, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
I can keep a secret no more.. I was waiting untit I got my car back and I can actually beta test this idea (dyno results as well as IAT before and after) before spilling the beans.. Yes, I think these bars will work very well. I will post pics later this evening...
Blast you for keeping secrets! LOL

Cant wait to see some pics.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:15 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55

(Apu's voice)
You magnificent ba$tard !

Pics or double-ban.

Last edited by ChicagoX; 06-04-2007 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Here you go!
More to come.
Attached Thumbnails IC heat exchanger-photo_05-1.jpg  
Old 06-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Cant wait to see the results! How much does the whole kit weigh?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: IC heat exchanger