Sponsored by:

E63 AMG Menu

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 EuroElites E55
i dont have a E63 i have e55 but if you cant tell you were not in 1st gear there is a problem. 1st and 2nd are night and day differences. i find it hard to belive that the drag racers on this site with 63s didnt know they were not startin in 1st.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
Starting off in first or second is not going to explain the 380hp dyno results.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 s550 sport, 2017 e300 sport
Hmm...

Well maybe this should be directed to the AMG-lounge to get some reps to answer some questions, other than that it looks like it was explained in the fact that the temp. needs to be at a certain point for the car to be "warmed up" either way still a pretty big find and pretty weird.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:04 PM

2012 SLS AMG
I do suspect that the guys racing on the strips may have warmed their cars up enough to actually get 1st gear. If they are in the AMG menu that pops up on the instrument cluster, right above the oil temp gauge, it clearly states what gear you are in when you come to a stop. I guess the important thing to realize for some test driving the car, and those that start out with a street encounter, is that unless the car is warmed you won't have 1st in any automatic mode.

Believe me though, it is not readily apparent when you just get the car. You simply think that it is hooking up and smoothly taking off, not realizing you have missed 1st all together.

Also makes me wonder if this will be a permanent thing (which is actually quite nice for day to day driving) or if the ECU can be 'adjusted' at some point. Makes me also wonder what else is in there........
Old 09-20-2006, 01:07 PM

2012 SLS AMG
By the way, I mentioned this before. It seems that simply having the temp warm does not guarantee 1st gear. I drove to the supermarket, had 1st, went in for 10 mins and it was back to 2nd for the next 4-5 miles eventhough the oil temp had remained at 100C. Who knows....
Old 09-20-2006, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Im surprised no one has said it yet but maybe this has something to do with the MB limited break-in period. Although some have said that their dealerships have heard nothing of it, others have mentioned that service reps have told them that the E63 is electronically limited in power production until a certain milage is achieved. This could have something to do with that: if the car senses that the brake-in period is not yet met, it may be regulating the force with which the power is A: delivered from the engine or B: delievered to the tranny. Eliminating the use of first gear would accomplish both of these objectives.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Begging you not to get upset E63, but just curious as how you really knew? Was it just a feel thing and if so, how come your cars are different than the other guys who are starting in 2nd.

Again, no offense meant, just thinking we are onto something here.

I used the AMG menu and viewed the starting gear listed on the screen during my roll up to the start at the drag strip. Whenever I noted the car in second gear, I would do a brief tire burnout prior to launch. This would change the indication from 2nd to 1st on the screen. Then I would do my race. Almost all of my runs were in "S" auto mode, rather than manual mode.

I remember Derek referencing that he started off in 2nd on one of his runs. This told me that he was aware he was not in 2nd on the other runs.

No offense taken with your question...nor can I imagine why anyone would take offense. Your exceptionally polite question makes me wonder if I am being perceived here as extremely sensitive. I am not. Thanks for your tact, nonetheless. I think its fair to say the board could use more tact, not less!
Old 09-20-2006, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by BlkE63AMG
Believe me though, it is not readily apparent when you just get the car. You simply think that it is hooking up and smoothly taking off, not realizing you have missed 1st all together.
:
Not to quibble, but my experience with the car is different than this. If I floor it while in second at a dead stop, the car hesitates for a second then it downshifts to first. You do notice it.

Originally Posted by BlkE63AMG
It seems that simply having the temp warm does not guarantee 1st gear. I drove to the supermarket, had 1st, went in for 10 mins and it was back to 2nd for the next 4-5 miles eventhough the oil temp had remained at 100C. Who knows....
I agree. I can not see any pattern to the car's initial gear selection, except if the car was just driven hard (like a burnout). I have not noticed this issue to be temperature affected.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:13 PM

2006 E320 CDI, 2007 ML 320 CDI, 2008 C63, 2008 G55
Wolf Zimmerman

I have a message into my service manager at Euro Motorcars in Maryland. His name is Charles Estell (240-686-2756). He is an enthusiast and fairly familiar with AMG vehicles. I’m also going to send Wolf Zimmermann of AMG an e-mail and would invite others on this forum to do the same. Wolf is a Member of the Management Board for Development and Production at AMG in Affalterbach. He is the gentleman who designed the new 6.3 liter motor. He’s been with Hans Werner Aufrecht since the early days at AMG. For anyone who wants to contact him directly his e-mail is w.zimmermann@mercedes-amg.com . Generally I find that trying to deal with Rob Allen is a waste of time. We spend a lot of money on these cars and should be able to hold Mercedes-AMG executives accountable and we should also expect them to be accessible.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I just hope he doesn't get slammed with bad email. We have quite a few G-Thugs on this forum. I can imagine this guy sitting in the state of the art AMG design studio and opening an email, "You best be making dah 6.3 crunk quick like son, or we be popping a cap in that azzzzz"
Old 09-20-2006, 04:55 PM

'10 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by ima55r2
Starting off in first or second is not going to explain the 380hp dyno results.

THAT's the real issue we should be concerned with here! Hope someone asks Rob Allan about it tonight on the Private Lounge Chat. What are the odds he backpedals, doublespeaks, and ducks??
Old 09-20-2006, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jakpro1
"You best be making dah 6.3 crunk quick like son, or we be popping a cap in that azzzzz"
Old 09-20-2006, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I seriously think they will take our questions and comments, regroup, discuss, investigate then act.

It is not reasonable to expect an answer to the HP question on the spot.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:16 PM

2009 SL63 AMG, sliver
Driving home today I also noticed this for the first time.
When the oil temp is below 80C it does start off in 2nd gear and the oil symbol flashes. once the temp is above 80 the flashing stops and the car goes all the way down to first. As everyone has stated, this makes a huge difference. When it is in first and you slam the gas down the tires just spin even with ESP on. In second gear it just takes off (but slower of course).
There does not appear to be a way to change this.

This however does not explain any of the E63 performance "issues" that we have been discussing.

But it may be why some people have felt the car was not a quick on a test drive as they expected.

I hope Rob has something interesting to say tonight...

PT