W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*** VRP Heads Project ***

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:05 AM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Car used for cam testing

The reason Rflow306 car was chosen , Was it was a typical role model , of what most E-55 owners do for engine models. . It would be only fair for him to disclose any BIG HP secrets. But I can tell you this. The heads have never been off his car. He runs the stock AMG air boxes & tubes ( No coating on the covers, tubes or thermoblankets). His , exhaust has headers , he retained the 2ndary stock cats. Stock Pipes & diameters , to stock mufflers. His ECU is tuned, The rest of his modds are dealing with heat soak , and are listed within the forums. Hp increases with a engine that has not had a pulley install , will be Similiar. The idle is reasonlly smooth on these Cams , after the Idle rpm is adjusted . As a matter of fact Not one person noticed or even commented about any idle irregularities. even while Rfow306 was in the stagging lane or stopped to pick up his time slips At MIR . And he did not have the idle set up at that time either. There was plenty of people there , BTW it was a Great GTG https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/216712-idle-rpm-adjustment.html
Hope this helps ___PTE___
Old 11-04-2007, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
Wow, finish is very nice, like art... Impressive work!
Old 11-04-2007, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
If they really make 40rwhp..then I want them...Hope they work well with heads...and what are stock internal need to be changed with them ???

Last edited by E55 RUSS; 11-05-2007 at 06:34 AM.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
Thanks PTE ..

about the POWER GRAPH: with those aggressive cams I 'd expect a less parallel downward trend in the top rpm band, with respect to stock cams.
or even an upward, at least till limiter.
didn't you?
Old 11-04-2007, 08:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLS55 & 2002 SL55 (R129) Silver Arrow
Originally Posted by dyno
Thanks PTE ..

about the POWER GRAPH: with those aggressive cams I 'd expect a less parallel downward trend in the top rpm band, with respect to stock cams.
or even an upward, at least till limiter.
didn't you?
Very good question. I would expect the same characteristics as well.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by E55 RUSS
If they really make 40rwhp..then I want them...Hope they work well woith heads...
They make 30whp and 40wtq, not 40whp. Still amazing though. This should translate to about two tenths wouldnt you say? If you are going to have the heads off you might as well port and polish them and maybe pick up some of PTE's titanium head goodies while you're at it. I wonder how much power the whole combo would get you
Old 11-05-2007, 06:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
They make 30whp and 40wtq, not 40whp. Still amazing though. This should translate to about two tenths wouldnt you say? If you are going to have the heads off you might as well port and polish them and maybe pick up some of PTE's titanium head goodies while you're at it. I wonder how much power the whole combo would get you

I am still undecided on HEADS...They want 3-4k depending on the ammount of work they will do and 2 weeks...They say they did heads for other E55 not from Russia, not sure which one and with cams he got around 70HP increase but I am not sure if its the truth...

Then I've looked at he site of our local MB tuner, they did HEADS on 210 5.5 and they got 20 HP increase on N/A...not sure if it will be the same on SC cars but if those heads only make 20 HP then there is no point to spend around 4-5k for a complete job which only give 20 HP...

The things that I worried is if there would be too much airflow and our SC will become inefficient and the boost with drop, it happaned to one if the BMWs we did here...the boost dropped from 1.2 to 0.5...car went slower...we had to get bigger SC...

I think I might wait for VRUS and Finnys results on their head jobs and them do or not do my heads based on their results and findings...

Add Cams, SLR Coolers and Heads we can hit 750HP mark I beleive

One things worried ME is my trans...did you do yours ???

Last edited by E55 RUSS; 11-05-2007 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Kevin.. is that you? Not 100% sure.. The head casting # are the same so it should fit, but I need to double check just to be sure.

Originally Posted by Tech-Tune
Victor, will these cams work on my M113 SL500 motor as well?

Thanks
Michael.. no worries.. there is no shaking.. We use DAS to raise idle 150RPM and it takes away the "shake". It was only shaking on cold start because it was hunting for an idle.

Originally Posted by ROCKETW19
Vic i would like a set, but can i see a video of the car "shaking" first?
Ahmad, grab em while they are here and at the lower price.

You guys are killing me! I want em but dont know what projects to work on now and what to put off for later
We are quite happy with the results and they make power to boot!

Originally Posted by mercixus
Wow, finish is very nice, like art... Impressive work!
They bolt right in and dont require any spring changes or anything else.

If they really make 40rwhp..then I want them...Hope they work well with heads...and what are stock internal need to be changed with them ???
The 30rwhp and 40rwtq was on RFlow's car which had ECU, pulley, headers, cooling upgrade, 80mm TB.

Also keep in mind that Albert's ECU is tuned SAFE for NITROUS. There was no ECU retuning .. we just dropped the cams in straight and he took it to MIR to test it out. With a specific tune for the cams (which I am working on now) it should be even better..

Originally Posted by dyno
could you help me to sum up asI'm thinking about modding my car from the cams instead than from pulley, as usual (I don't like a lot the idea of having all that problems of overheating, belt slippage ..):

1- the above result is on a bone stock car, without bigger pulley and no head porting&polishing and no Ecu?
..if not, what would be the outcome
2- what further gain with Port&polish+new springs+Ecu

thanks a lot, Bravo!

marco
Old 11-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Did PTE dyno his car with the cams before and after yet?
Old 11-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
No.. Patrick is putting his engine back together. It should be a real beast..

Did PTE dyno his car with the cams before and after yet?
Old 11-08-2007, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Originally Posted by vrus
Kevin.. is that you? Not 100% sure.. The head casting # are the same so it should fit, but I need to double check just to be sure.

Michael.. no worries.. there is no shaking.. We use DAS to raise idle 150RPM and it takes away the "shake". It was only shaking on cold start because it was hunting for an idle.

Ahmad, grab em while they are here and at the lower price.

We are quite happy with the results and they make power to boot!

They bolt right in and dont require any spring changes or anything else.

The 30rwhp and 40rwtq was on RFlow's car which had ECU, pulley, headers, cooling upgrade, 80mm TB.

Also keep in mind that Albert's ECU is tuned SAFE for NITROUS. There was no ECU retuning .. we just dropped the cams in straight and he took it to MIR to test it out. With a specific tune for the cams (which I am working on now) it should be even better..

Victor put one set aside for ME...My is becoming E55 VRP

My chip tuner is ready to do my ECU as soon as I put CAMS...I am sure with 12.2 it will show another 5-7 whp...

It would be very intresting to see how AFRs change with Cams installed...but 1st I wanna do my HEADs also and put them together...

So we getting back to the topic of this thread...

When are VRP Heads would be tested ???

I am ready to do mines but wanna know for sure if they make POWER !!!

Last edited by E55 RUSS; 11-08-2007 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
The heads will certainly make power, the question is how much power?
Old 11-08-2007, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
The heads will certainly make power, the question is how much power?

If there is too much flow...you can loose boost and SC become inefficinet...overall car wont run good...
Old 11-08-2007, 05:29 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
The 5.7L block is starting to go back together... Pistons have taken forever... they should be here any day now.

They finished the machine work and dropped the iron sleeves into place.

Here are a few pics of the block...

Old 11-08-2007, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
power graph

meanwhile I tuned the power graph with a shorter X axsis "stroke"

already better, but perhaps still lean ..
Attached Thumbnails *** VRP Heads Project ***-vrp-stage-ii-dynocams-view2.jpg  
Old 11-09-2007, 04:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
The 5.7L block is starting to go back together... Pistons have taken forever... they should be here any day now.

They finished the machine work and dropped the iron sleeves into place.

Here are a few pics of the block...

Looks good...I wonder how much extra power will it bring

HEADS results...that what I am wating for...e-mail sent...
Old 11-09-2007, 09:25 AM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
If there is too much flow...you can loose boost and SC become inefficinet...overall car wont run good...
I'm living proof of that....I went from 17.5 PSI to 14.5 after my port job.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:21 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
The main thing to look at is:

If boost goes down and power goes up, that means the engine is running a heck of alot more efficiently and that is a good thing.

If boost goes down and power does also, then that is a different story.

It's a given that boost will drop with heads or anything else that removes restrictions.. it's something to expect but not something to dwell on.

If we can get boost to go down and power to go up the motor will run a heck of alot cooler and will be alot more consistent in power delivery.

Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
Old 11-09-2007, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry

Thanks god that you looked at that thead...Tell us more about it...

What happand...you lost POWER on your C32 ???

How did the car reacted to this mod overall ???

What porting parameters did you have ??? How did you fix this problem ???

Last edited by E55 RUSS; 11-09-2007 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
This is interesting. Great thread and great work MB pioneer.

Kinda makes sense with the loss of boost thing. However, higher boost for the sake of higher boost doesn't make sense either. I mean, if they engine can ingest the air/fuel charge more easily wouldn't that create a more effecient more powerful motor?? The SC would be spining the same and putting out the same amount of air correct only now the engine can swallow it?

I know little but my gut says that a motor opened up to accept xxxx amout of air/fuel would be better than bottling up the same motor to create xxxx amount of backpressure(boost). Did the C32 lose power as well?

Awesome post!!
Old 11-09-2007, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Here is his thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/187627-porting-polishing-cams-project.html

Apparently he lost power about 30whp...no taliking about money

Apperantly some people from this thread posted in his thead at the end and dont know the results still

Last edited by E55 RUSS; 11-09-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:34 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
The main thing to look at is:

If boost goes down and power goes up, that means the engine is running a heck of alot more efficiently and that is a good thing.

If boost goes down and power does also, then that is a different story.

It's a given that boost will drop with heads or anything else that removes restrictions.. it's something to expect but not something to dwell on.

If we can get boost to go down and power to go up the motor will run a heck of alot cooler and will be alot more consistent in power delivery.
I hate to say it, but it's all about boost on the C32. The supercharger isn't capable of flowing the amount of air needed to give me more power. My 35 shot of NOS added 60 lbs of trq to the wheels. That tells you that the car is in need of more boost.

I'm now running the LET pulley which is 185mm and that gives me 17.5 PSI. A friend of mine with C32 with the same pulley is maxing out the MAP sensor at 22 PSI. So, that tells you that the car is flowing much better than before.

Yes, my car lost boost and power with the port job. It wasn't because of a bad port job or any reason other than low boost.

I have had many shops look at the car and they all have said that the C32 heads were almost perfect and some of the best they have seen.

I'm sure the E55 is no different, but I could be wrong.

AMG / MB spent alot of time on R&D and I was stupid to think I could go behind them and make the system better. I think that the intake / exhaust ports and intake runners are tuned properly for the stock - Stage III system.

With the work that you are doing, it might make more power. As long as you have a set of heads to fall back to, there is no harm in trying.

What do you think about putting a stock E55 on the dyno with the SC disconnected. Then, dyno the project car with the SC disconnected. That will tell you if the car is making more power using all motor. I wish I had a spare SC that I could remove the guts and make it free flowing for a test like this on my C32.

In my experience, it's not worth it to just port the heads. If you are going to go all out and add block work / aggressive cams, then you might be on the right track.

I think that you will end up making more power because you are turning it into a bigger motor. However, I feel that the SC will be the restriction in your new setup.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:50 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Here is his thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=187627

Apparently he lost power about 30whp...no taliking about money

Apperantly some people from this thread posted in his thead at the end and dont know the results still
Sorry guys, I know 14 pages is alot to read through, so feel free to ask any questions.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:59 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Maybe raising the compression ratio a bit would solve the problem.

Thoughts?
Old 11-09-2007, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
So I was right...WE need bigger SC if we want more boost...

Victor have you looked at SLR SC gears for our SCs ???

As far as I know with 175mm pulleys we get about 18psi (1.23) boost in th SC and 14.3 (0.98) to the engine, on this is most efficient level at which our SC works...but then I see MKB and Evotech making thier car run 19.4 Boost (1.34)...so there is space for bigget may be 180mm pulleys with SLR Coolers but fo9r HEAD we still need bigger SC imho...

I am still confused about most efficient boost though

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: *** VRP Heads Project ***