W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Spoke With ASP About Pulley Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 09-25-2006, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Someone that is in the market needs to get Fluidampr to make a harmonic balancer pulley for the E55. I think they do custom jobs and might do a one for the group. IMO fluidampr's design beats rubber balancers by a long shot and cheaper too. What do you all think?
Old 09-25-2006, 11:48 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Quality products all the way. It quells a wide range of harmonics as well.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:46 AM

2004 MB E55 AMG, 2006 Audi A6 4.2, 2008 WRX STI
Its kind of out of topic...but why does Kleemann only provide
underdrive pulley???
I just had K2 installed on my car...and was just wondering why...
Evosport and other tuners make other pulley as well(crankshaft pulley, etc)
Does that mean Kleemann gets lower hp and tq gains???
If so, is it possible to mix my Kleemann pulley (Underdrive) with Evosport crankshaft pulley and others( i dont know what those other pulleys are)
Old 09-26-2006, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
Puleys installed...ECU adjusted... OMG I am scared to drive this BEAST
Old 09-26-2006, 08:00 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
Someone that is in the market needs to get Fluidampr to make a harmonic balancer pulley for the E55. I think they do custom jobs and might do a one for the group. IMO fluidampr's design beats rubber balancers by a long shot and cheaper too. What do you all think?
I had done this a number of years ago. The damper that evosport sells is a brand new - NOT modified factory damper - friction design, wide-frequency damper that raises boost by 2-3 psi and is not going to fall apart.

www.evosport.com
Old 09-26-2006, 10:23 PM

'06 M5
Originally Posted by AMG Rider
Its kind of out of topic...but why does Kleemann only provide
underdrive pulley???
I just had K2 installed on my car...and was just wondering why...
Evosport and other tuners make other pulley as well(crankshaft pulley, etc)
Does that mean Kleemann gets lower hp and tq gains???
If so, is it possible to mix my Kleemann pulley (Underdrive) with Evosport crankshaft pulley and others( i dont know what those other pulleys are)
You might be confusing the terminology and/or tuner offerings. I'll help out a bit (hopefully):

1. Kleemann offers a crankshaft pulley only (not an underdrive pulley)
2. Evosport offer a crankshaft pulley and also an "underdrive" pulley kit for the accessories
3. ASP offers a crankshaft pulley and smaller water pump pulley since the diameter of the outer ring of their crankshaft pulley is the largest of all the tuners and will interfere with the stock water pump pulley unless you use their smaller water pump underdrive pulley which they provide with their crankshaft pulley

The crankshaft pulley is the pulley that attaches to the engine crank and spins the supercharger for boost (underdrive pulleys do not add boost, they limit the parasitic power requirements/loss from the engine accessories since the underdrive pulleys are easier to spin...hope I described that well enough).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Darren

Last edited by darren_dallas; 09-26-2006 at 10:27 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 09-27-2006, 06:51 AM

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by E55 RUSS
Puleys installed...ECU adjusted... OMG I am scared to drive this BEAST
I wish you didnt post! Now you raised more questions then you answered!
I would like to know performance #'s and PM me on you chip purchase.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Right now only butt dyno...much more power !!!

My neck is tierd from all those torgues...you dont even need to press WOT best part is mid-range
Old 09-27-2006, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm going to pull the trigger on the ASP pullies as well..

after having Evo pullies on my car for 9 months and no ECU...

i know for a fact that the cars responds with just a pulley change.. (obviously).. but the ECU will probably add additional power throughout the range

I really don't race my cars (as much due to 3 tickets) and I rarely due WOT runs... maybe a few times a week.

therefore for my money the ASP sounds good. I'm only keeping the car for about 18 months and I have extended warranty upto 2010.

I have spent enough money on my C32 to know.. that high price does not equal quality and vice versa.

If I had the extra $4 to 5k.. I would choose RennTech or Kleeman, but currently I rather spend that money on my new build house. I receive my keys on 11/4/2006.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:30 PM

2004 MB E55 AMG, 2006 Audi A6 4.2, 2008 WRX STI
God...I feel stupid now for tuning my car without knowing what the part was....
I thought it was underdrive for some reason/...
So i guess i got what i need..Thanks for the info Darren...

Originally Posted by darren_dallas
You might be confusing the terminology and/or tuner offerings. I'll help out a bit (hopefully):

1. Kleemann offers a crankshaft pulley only (not an underdrive pulley)
2. Evosport offer a crankshaft pulley and also an "underdrive" pulley kit for the accessories
3. ASP offers a crankshaft pulley and smaller water pump pulley since the diameter of the outer ring of their crankshaft pulley is the largest of all the tuners and will interfere with the stock water pump pulley unless you use their smaller water pump underdrive pulley which they provide with their crankshaft pulley

The crankshaft pulley is the pulley that attaches to the engine crank and spins the supercharger for boost (underdrive pulleys do not add boost, they limit the parasitic power requirements/loss from the engine accessories since the underdrive pulleys are easier to spin...hope I described that well enough).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Darren
Old 09-27-2006, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
ASP kit does not include smaller Water pump pulley...this small metal part is goes on water pump to keep is in place...or something like this
Old 09-29-2006, 04:24 PM

2004 E55 White
The question remains, has anyone done a pulley upgrade without an ECU upgrade and then dynoed it with A/F readings? The ASP pulleys are priced right, but I would like to know the effects on the A/F ratio.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Originally Posted by sfkarp
The question remains, has anyone done a pulley upgrade without an ECU upgrade and then dynoed it with A/F readings? The ASP pulleys are priced right, but I would like to know the effects on the A/F ratio.

Yeah, still waiting here. I love the idea of a simple pulley swap for a couple extra lbs of boost, as long as it's not going to run lean. Unlike Topgun, I regularly run WOT in my car and drag race it a couple times/year.

If you guys all chip in and buy me the pulley set, I'll dyno, install the pulley at the shop and then dyno again. I'm just that kind of a nice guy.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
Wayne,

I was thinking the same thing. Since you are East Coast and I am on the West Coast I will do it for the locals here. Saw a beautiful Alabaster White E today on the way to the gym. Gorgeous car. Don't see many white E55's around here.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:00 PM

Had the pulley installed today... The one problem my tech ran into no matter how hard he tried he could not get the belt ASP supplied on, he ended up install the factory one back on with some difficultly, he mentioned the belt was a little to tight for his taste.

I called ASP and told them what was going on and all they told me was to go to my local auto parts store in have them give me the next size up.

On the power... I'm sure the ECU needs time to adjust for the extra boost but the engine has taking on a lot of low end power I really didn't get a chance to open her up due to heavy traffic. I'm running it tomorrow at my local track to see what she will do.

Its hard to explain but the engine has a different sound to it now.