Sponsored by:

E63-"kid gloves" encounter with a 944 turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jangy
How did you fair against the E55s?
As I am sure you already know, my car was slower than the "stock" E55s. Note that one of these 2 "stock" E55s was not really stock: drag radials & K&N snorkel. I also like to point out that the driver of this car was 95 pounds lighter than me. (I realize that sounds like "loser whining" on my part. It also makes me sound fat, but I am scrapping for every legitimate excuse I can here!) To have a best time about 2 tenths of second slower in the 1/4 based on those facts aint too bad, IMO.

The point I was addressing here in this thread is whether or not the story here is the first "kill" of an E63 vs other cars. The E55 vs E63 debate has been pretty thoroughly discussed elsewhere. I am sure there will be many more anecdotes to come.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by E63AMG
As I am sure you already know, my car was slower than the "stock" E55s. Note that one of these 2 "stock" E55s was not really stock: drag radials & K&N snorkel. I also like to point out that the driver of this car was 95 pounds lighter than me. (I realize that sounds like "loser whining" on my part. It also makes me sound fat, but I am scrapping for every legitimate excuse I can here!) To have a best time about 2 tenths of second slower in the 1/4 based on those facts aint too bad, IMO.

The point I was addressing here in this thread is whether or not the story here is the first "kill" of an E63 vs other cars. The E55 vs E63 debate has been pretty thoroughly discussed elsewhere. I am sure there will be many more anecdotes to come.

Just messing with you and thanks for being a good sport. Just for the record, I'd take an E63 over any CLS as I do believe that they (CLS') are setup for marketing and not performance. Also, my weight fluctuates between 225 and 245 so I'm not one to make fatty jokes!!
Old 09-25-2006, 02:37 PM

Just messing with you and thanks for being a good sport. Just for the record, I'd take an E63 over any CLS as I do believe that they (CLS') are setup for marketing and not performance. Also, my weight fluctuates between 225 and 245 so I'm not one to make fatty jokes!!
I sensed your response was the classic: I knew you are aware of the outcome of the race. Ya just haaaad to stir the pot, didntcha?

The upside of being big (I'm 235) is that it gives you more excuses when you lose. I am going to use every possible one I can think of, when needed to bolster my case.

BTW, that day at the track, I sat at lunch with some guys that knew (and liked) you.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Also, my weight fluctuates between 225 and 245 so I'm not one to make fatty jokes!!
Well that would explain the toes.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
As I am sure you already know, my car was slower than the "stock" E55s.
We need to get that 63 out to the track again.At the track that day my laptop battery died sooner than expected,so I didnt think it captured any data from my runs.,but after checking it a while back it did log a few runs.Confirming my IC pump wasnt working,hopefully the new pump will help the heat saok and also bring the mph numbers up a bit.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Why do you think that the CLS55 is set up for Marketing and not performance?

My CLS55 ran just as fast as my E55 on the same track..... I was running 12.41's if memory serves me right.

For the record, I am 255 so weight was not the issue!
Old 09-25-2006, 06:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I sensed your response was the classic: I knew you are aware of the outcome of the race. Ya just haaaad to stir the pot, didntcha?

The upside of being big (I'm 235) is that it gives you more excuses when you lose. I am going to use every possible one I can think of, when needed to bolster my case.

BTW, that day at the track, I sat at lunch with some guys that knew (and liked) you.

LOL, you must have sat with the only few people around that do like me!!
Old 09-25-2006, 06:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Jrocket
Well that would explain the toes.

Those sausages run in my family
Old 09-25-2006, 06:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Schiznick
Why do you think that the CLS55 is set up for Marketing and not performance?

My CLS55 ran just as fast as my E55 on the same track..... I was running 12.41's if memory serves me right.

For the record, I am 255 so weight was not the issue!
Let us just say that I dug pretty deep to find out. I never said it is not being marketted as a sports sedan, because it is. I just know that the actual performance numbers were not the concern, the image was. You may have had similar results but in all honesty, the E55 is consistently faster all around than the CLS. It just is. That goes for handling and straights. The only confusion that came into play was at launch (of the CLS) when the newer suspension components (most notably steering rack but also shocks) were slated for the CLS. During that timeframe, the E55s were still fitted with older components, while the CLSs all had the newer ones. Once the old ones were done, all CLS and Es got the same. I am only talking like to like. An '06 CLS will indeed outhandle an '04 E55. Actually, it MAY even outhandle an '05E55, since they still did not have the shocks in. As far as straight line, the CLS has always been a tick slower. Why? Final gearing (19" rims, etc) and weight. Why do you think the CLS comes with 19 inch cast alloys? You think it is because of performance or to sell (market)?