E63 Questions from Prospective Owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 BMW 640ix GC (Ruby Black)
E63 Questions from Prospective Owner

Hi:

I currently have an '03 M5 (warranty up in May '07) which I am about to sell. I'm looking to get into something different, as I'm a bit tired of rowing my own gears, having to always hand wash the car and being petrified at the thought of a flat. The E63 intrigues me.

I like fast accelerating cars but don't drag race (I've never actually spun the tires on my M5); rather, I like to do a lot of down and upshifting in traffic to accelerate away from the pack, get around slower moving cars, etc. In short, use the speed once I'm underway. So one of my questions about the E63 is about AMG speedshift: how well (quickly) does it down and up shift (in manual mode)? Does the 7-speed transmission (as C&D said about the one in the E550) have "a mind of its own"? I had difficulty trying to find an E63 to test drive but did find one dealer who was willing to let me try a CLS63. Unfortunately the salesman was a pain as he didn't want me to manually shift the tranny, even though I explained to him I wasn't looking to speed or go crazy. I did it anyway but found it hard to figure out how to downshift smoothly, although I realize this is most likely due to my unfamiliarity with the system.

Also (only partly tongue-in-cheek): is there enough clearance underneath the car to let me take it through an automated car wash once-in-a-while?

I've searched the forum and read all about the E55/E63 power & torque issue; while I certainly see why this is an important issue for many it doesn't happen to be crucial to me. I'm more interested in the driveability and handling of the E63 and if I can expect at least a slightly more comfortable experience than I have with the M5 (i.e. less muscle-carish).

Thanks in advance.

Norman
Old 09-30-2006, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by nlk10010
Hi:
how well (quickly) does it down and up shift (in manual mode)?
Norman
It shifts quickly. I am not sure how to answer this more precisely than this. There is not a noticeable delay in shifting manually. Its pretty immediate.

Does the 7-speed transmission (as C&D said about the one in the E550) have "a mind of its own"?Norman
No. With the exception of the default 2nd gear start, it is very logical and well mannered. It picks the correct gear very well. (BTW, the 2nd gear start is easily overcome, if desired, by just driving the car over 3500 rpms during each key cycle).

Also (only partly tongue-in-cheek): is there enough clearance underneath the car to let me take it through an automated car wash once-in-a-while?
Norman
Thats how I wash it, and have had no problems with 3 different car wash places. Each time, I just sent it through without pushing the car raising feature. If there is a concern, you could raise the car up a bit more during the wash.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
The shifting in the E63 is much more respoinsive than the E55. Both are very different from the BMW automatics, so make sure you try it before you decide for yourself.

Couldn't tell you if it fits into an auto car wash. I would never do it. There are only two people that have even washed my car by hand.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:14 AM

2012 SLS AMG
Came from an '03 M3 to the E63 and would NEVER go back!!! While the M3 was a little bit more rough than the E39 M5, I think I may be able to give you a decent perspective of the change.

I was tired of the M3's punishing ride in and around town, especially going to and from work where there is limited need to drive in an aggressive fashion. I was looking for something much smoother without sacrificing speed. Boy did I ever find it. The E63 is very docile when you want it to be, and starting in 2nd gear adds to this, but when you want to go it is DEFINITELY ready. To answer the question of the 7spd. The time it would take me to manually downshift and go is about the time it takes the 7pd to do it for you. I honestly do not think there is much difference. While you are definitely aware of the speed in the M3, you are less so in the E63. Smooth and rocket quick. Very deceptive and looking at the speedo is truly an indication of your acceleration.

I know people are babbling back and forth about E55 vs E63 and so forth, but even if Derek's numbers are correct, the E63 still is quicker than both the M3 and the E39 M5. More info is coming out tho (recent drag days, recent CLS63 dyno, CLS55 vs CLS63 race) indicating that the 63 may not be as far behind the 55's as some think. I for one know that it is incredibly poised and capable.

To answer the question more directly, I love it and would never go back. It has been everything I expected and then some. As an added bonus, the wife LOVES it. She was one of the major critics of the M3's rough edges. E550 seems to be a decent machine as well but again it seems to run around the same times as the M3 and E39 M5. Not sure about it's handling or 7spd sans AMG input.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:17 AM

Very nice of all of you to respond, though from lurking here I expected nothing less.

Hey, I just want something different, but still special like my M5. Something a bit smoother but just as powerful if not moreso. An auto trans would be nice for a change and if it could look like a normal sedan with just a couple of subtle tweaks (i.e. stealth like the M5) that would be perfect. BMW just doesn't make something I like right now: the new M5 is not for me for various reasons, a 7 is too ponderous and the 550i would seem like a step back. I did look at the E550 (albeit 4-Matic) but it just doesn't do it for me (as I said, at my age I figure I'm entitled to want a car I won't see coming and going). The E63 is the only car right now that I would really ENJOY owning.

The BMW Steptronics I've tried are very smooth, positive shifting thingies. I guess half the time I'll let the tranny do the shifting, the rest of the time I'll do it, but I glean from your responses that the 7-speed is fine. As my wife says (in exasperation): "Get the damn thing already. Just make sure that if you don't like it you can sell it. It won't be the end of the world".

Well, I'm off to see what kind of a deal I can make with my dealer. My wife's color preference (Jade Green) DEMANDS that a car be ordered so I'll need to wait a while.

BTW: any recommendations (in addition to getting a production #) how to keep a dealer from selling an ordered car out from under you if a better deal comes along?

Thanks again.

Norman
Old 10-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Very nice of all of you to respond, though from lurking here I expected nothing less.

Hey, I just want something different, but still special like my M5. Something a bit smoother but just as powerful if not moreso. An auto trans would be nice for a change and if it could look like a normal sedan with just a couple of subtle tweaks (i.e. stealth like the M5) that would be perfect. BMW just doesn't make something I like right now: the new M5 is not for me for various reasons, a 7 is too ponderous and the 550i would seem like a step back. I did look at the E550 (albeit 4-Matic) but it just doesn't do it for me (as I said, at my age I figure I'm entitled to want a car I won't see coming and going). The E63 is the only car right now that I would really ENJOY owning.

The BMW Steptronics I've tried are very smooth, positive shifting thingies. I guess half the time I'll let the tranny do the shifting, the rest of the time I'll do it, but I glean from your responses that the 7-speed is fine. As my wife says (in exasperation): "Get the damn thing already. Just make sure that if you don't like it you can sell it. It won't be the end of the world".

Well, I'm off to see what kind of a deal I can make with my dealer. My wife's color preference (Jade Green) DEMANDS that a car be ordered so I'll need to wait a while.

BTW: any recommendations (in addition to getting a production #) how to keep a dealer from selling an ordered car out from under you if a better deal comes along?

Thanks again.

Norman
You can track your own car and know at least a week or two before the dealer gets it. Schedules do shift some, but nothing drstic, so you will know.

Also, if you are going to order it anyway, insist on seeing all of the options. I know you can "personalize" it quite a bit like getting components of the Designo package without buying the entire package.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by jangy
You can track your own car and know at least a week or two before the dealer gets it. Schedules do shift some, but nothing drstic, so you will know.

Also, if you are going to order it anyway, insist on seeing all of the options. I know you can "personalize" it quite a bit like getting components of the Designo package without buying the entire package.
Yea, when I bought the M5 I got a production number and started tracking it right away. Besides, I knew the guy wasn't going to sell an Oxford Green car to anyone else, that's why I had to put $5,000 down. I'm hoping it will be a similar thing with the Jade Green.

I'd prefer not to have to order the car (I slightly prefer leasing but with a long lead time I will have no way of knowing what the rates are going to be when it comes in, also can't do an effective trade-in) but when wifey says "you can have any car you want as long as I get to pick the color" it's kind of hard to turn her down.

Interesting about the custom ordering, I'll need to look into that.

Thanks.

=NLK=
Old 10-02-2006, 12:41 PM

something fast
nlk i know of a jade green e63 on the ground for $4k off, check your pm.