W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECU Reflash - Who has done it and results?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 Black
ECU Reflash - Who has done it and results?

I would like to get some updated feedback on who had the ECU reflash and either lost power or no noticable changes. The ECU reflash is mentioned in many threads and I would like to consolodate people's results in this one current thread. If you had a power loss what did you do about it and was your dealer supportive or in denial? Any other info would be appreciated such as mechanic statements or any acknowledgement by a dealer that a problem truly exists. Thanks for you input. Please leave out hearsay or speculation unless well founded and from a reliable source.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55
Originally Posted by machz990
I would like to get some updated feedback on who had the ECU reflash and either lost power or no noticable changes. The ECU reflash is mentioned in many threads and I would like to consolodate people's results in this one current thread. If you had a power loss what did you do about it and was your dealer supportive or in denial? Any other info would be appreciated such as mechanic statements or any acknowledgement by a dealer that a problem truly exists. Thanks for you input. Please leave out hearsay or speculation unless well founded and from a reliable source.

Reflash/recall done on my 05. No change to report.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Mine was done before it shipped home so no comments either way except my *** says it flies.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by machz990

..........this will probably start a whole lot of hot air. I had huge problems after the recall that was only resolved after the recall Ecu program was erased. My opinion is that it i no longer important to figure out if the recall caused problems or not. The main qeuestion is what did one GAIN from the ECU part of the recall. And if you don't gain anything, and there is a debate as to whether it will hurt your car, then only a crazy person will advocate for it. In light of the above, I am very mystified about why there is even a debate about whether or not to get it.

Ted
Old 10-04-2006, 01:45 PM

2004 E55 White
I had it done as part of the normal maintenance of my car. I did not notice any difference in the way my car runs. I did take it to the track and it ran the same as before the flash.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by sfkarp
I had it done as part of the normal maintenance of my car. I did not notice any difference in the way my car runs. I did take it to the track and it ran the same as before the flash.
My wife's '06 had it done and it still goes like a bat out of hell.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:40 PM

2005 Mercedes E55
Had it done on my '05 and noticed no difference.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:55 PM

04 E55
Seems like this only affects the 03' and 04' models.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
my car is at the dealer now, and it will be flashed.... I'll be at renntech next week for a re-flash and dyno.....
Old 10-04-2006, 08:11 PM
pas

2007 S65, 2005 Nissan Armada
Originally Posted by Justins123
Had it done on my '05 and noticed no difference.
+1

MBUSA did send me a $50 Amex debit card though for the "recall trouble" as they put it.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:12 PM
Almost a Member!

Hi!

I had mine done 2 months ago. As soon as I got the car, I noticed a huge difference in the power(The car would not even spin the tires with the TC off). I posted this on the forum and was told that the power would come back after a while . That was 1250 miles ago and I'm still waiting for it. Mine is a 2004.

Victor
Old 10-04-2006, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
if you can't spin the tires from a standstill with ESP off, your supercharger isn't engaging... take it to the dealer.....

Originally Posted by Gavidev
Hi!

I had mine done 2 months ago. As soon as I got the car, I noticed a huge difference in the power(The car would not even spin the tires with the TC off). I posted this on the forum and was told that the power would come back after a while . That was 1250 miles ago and I'm still waiting for it. Mine is a 2004.

Victor
Old 10-04-2006, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'01 E55
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
..........this will probably start a whole lot of hot air. I had huge problems after the recall that was only resolved after the recall Ecu program was erased. My opinion is that it i no longer important to figure out if the recall caused problems or not. The main qeuestion is what did one GAIN from the ECU part of the recall. And if you don't gain anything, and there is a debate as to whether it will hurt your car, then only a crazy person will advocate for it. In light of the above, I am very mystified about why there is even a debate about whether or not to get it.

Ted
The gain comes when the car goes out of warranty and you don't have to buy an air injection pump and relay every year.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by Fikse
if you can't spin the tires from a standstill with ESP off, your supercharger isn't engaging... take it to the dealer.....
no, that is NOT the problem. the problem is with the ecu flash.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Glassjaw
The gain comes when the car goes out of warranty and you don't have to buy an air injection pump and relay every year.
no offense but i'll GLADLY spend $380 on that damned pump every year to have a real e55 instead of the e500 with amg badges that i now own because of the flash.

Last edited by chiromikey; 10-04-2006 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
........this is exactly what I suspected; you don't understand the issue very well. Notice what I said........"ECU part of the recall." You can have your air injection pump changed as many times as you wish, on or off warranty without flashig your ECU. The ECU flash has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with your air injection pump. So even if as you say, you are concerned about warranty coverage on the pump relay, what does this have to do with having your ECU flashed? Again.....what are you gaining from the ECU flash?...............answer is ?

Ted

Last edited by Ted Baldwin; 10-04-2006 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'01 E55
........this is exactly what I suspected; you don't understand the issue very well. Notice what I said........"ECU part of the recall." You can have your air injection pump changed as many times as you wish, on or off warranty without flashig your ECU. The ECU flash has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with your air injection pump. So even if as you say, you are concerned about warranty coverage on the pump relay, what does this have to do with having your ECU flashed? Again.....what are you gaining from the ECU flash?...............answer is ?

Ted
Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot that YOU were the one who wrote the software program for the ECU's for MBZ. How exactly do you know that the flash has nothing to do with the air injection pump??

But yes, you can have your pump changed out as many times as you wish. Did you forget that under warranty Mercedes has to pay that bill?? Why the hell would MBZ pay to have these pumps constantly if they could fix it with a simple software update??

Do you guys honestly believe MBZ is doing this to most models including non-AMG vehicles and the SLR just to make the E, SL, & CLS AMG's slower?
Old 10-04-2006, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot that YOU were the one who wrote the software program for the ECU's for MBZ. How exactly do you know that the flash has nothing to do with the air injection pump??

But yes, you can have your pump changed out as many times as you wish. Did you forget that under warranty Mercedes has to pay that bill?? Why the hell would MBZ pay to have these pumps constantly if they could fix it with a simple software update??

Do you guys honestly believe MBZ is doing this to most models including non-AMG vehicles and the SLR just to make the E, SL, & CLS AMG's slower?
........I missed your answer about the gain you get from the ECU part of the recall.

Ted
Old 10-04-2006, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

it doesn't even matter what the reason is anymore. it could very well have been something mb isn't even aware of. regardless, it's time for mb to admit that there is in fact a problem and fix the cars that were affected.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'01 E55
........I missed your answer about the gain you get from the ECU part of the recall.

Ted
Well, it's a recall....which means it's preventive maintenance so you'll probably never know....which is the reason behind a lot of recalls. Maybe you should avoid all of them. I hear that SBC flash really increases your stopping distance!!
Old 10-04-2006, 10:41 PM

my 2006 reflashed yesterday. No changes. Still one crazy-*** car!
Old 10-04-2006, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'01 E55
Originally Posted by chiromikey
it doesn't even matter what the reason is anymore. it could very well have been something mb isn't even aware of. regardless, it's time for mb to admit that there is in fact a problem and fix the cars that were affected.
True, if they are aware there is a problem with this flash they should definitely fix it for you guys. I was recently at a MB training center and mentioned "The Flash", the instructors kind of chuckled and said "that's rediculous". So who knows??
Old 10-04-2006, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
True, if they are aware there is a problem with this flash they should definitely fix it for you guys. I was recently at a MB training center and mentioned "The Flash", the instructors kind of chuckled and said "that's rediculous". So who knows??
What type of training center? Training techs?
Old 10-04-2006, 10:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
05 model
reflash
no difference in power
Old 10-04-2006, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
..........there is so much missinformation on this topic. Forget about whether or not the doing the recall causes problems.

.........First, what exactly does a scondary air injection pump do? Well it is an emissions compliance component.
.........Will your car blow up if you don't replace the secondary air injection pump? Well, first of all, it is the relay to pump that is being replaced during the recall, and NOT the pump itself. Not replacing the pump or the relay is probably bad for the environment so it is probably a good idea to do it, but this has nothing to do with your car being ioperable.
.........So, what does the ECU have to do with it? Well, nothing at all.

..........Why does my ECU need to be flashed when changing the relay to my secondary air injection pump. Well, no one knows.........not the techs doing it, not the service manager, not the poor bloke who took his car to get it done.......everyone just going along with what Mercedes says.

..........What has Mercedes said about the need to flash the ECU when replacing the relay to the secondary air injection pump?.........Well, they have said, nothing.

.........Have there been any problems from this? Yes many have had significant power loss that have been dyno proven as well as on the track. Some have had return of power when ECU has either been replaced or the recall program erased. Some have not had these problems?

..........So, how do I know if my car will have a problem? Well, you don't know.
..........Why can't I just have the relay to the pump replaced and not the ECU flased. Well, you can.

.........Has anyone who did not flash their ECU had a problem with their car? Well, not a single person.
........So, what then is the controversy? Well, there really shouldn't be a controversy.

Ted

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ECU Reflash - Who has done it and results?