W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was ready to buy an e55 before reading this forum, now not sure....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 04:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was ready to buy an e55 before reading this forum, now not sure....

WOW... I just spend the last 2 hours reading all the e55 horror stories, how people were completely backstabbed by dealers with the new "ecu recall" and how some people are only getting 350whp and high 12's out of their e55's! I was planning to mod my car with kleemann k2, but it looks like the reflash affects the modified e55's just as much and that MBZ somehow "hides" this from tuners making them unable to return the car back to its full potential! The car that I had in mind is a used 05 from a local dealer, so it probably had the reflash done already and I don't have the option of forcing my dealer not to do this. In my view, this is completely unacceptable and warrants a class-action lawsuit. Mercedes is probably doing this to make their stupid e63 more appealing. Why is nothing being done? Am I justified in canceling my decision to buy an e55 based on this?

P.S. I really wanted the E class over S/CL due to its smaller size and more "sporty" look, however, If I don't get an E55, I will probably go with CL600 or maybe even an SLK55 for some top-down cruising....
Old 10-11-2006, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
Welcome to the AMG forum:

I think some of your comments are warranted, but you have to remember a few things.

Only a small number of all of the E55 owners out there post to this board. Any problems or issues will be magnified greatly. Every car and every dealer will have problems. (have you read the new M5 board lately?)

If you run a high 12 or low 12 sec quarter mile, will you really be able to tell that much of a difference and will you really use all of your cars potential on a day to day basis?

If every last second of performance and every last horsepower counts to you, then you should be looking at new Z06's not a 4 door sedan.

You can threaten class action lawsuits, but unless you are willing to put up your money and spend your time pursing this, it is a lost cause b/c the only people that win are the lawyers. They still get paid not matter what the final outcome.

The bottom line is, this is one of the best looking, best performing sedans you can buy on the market (especially used)

Best of luck finding your "Beast"
Old 10-11-2006, 09:13 AM

CL65
If you have the VIN, then you should be able to check if the flash recall has been done on the car. I bought an E55 about a month ago and didn't know about the recall. I checked and found that the flash had not been done on my car. Now I'm worried about taking the car to the dealer for service.

I think I would notice every day if my car went from a low 12 second to a high 12 second car. Its hard not to use it at least a little every time I drive it. The Corvette comment is ridiculous. Why would anyone ever pay for Renntech or Kleeman mods if a half second or more in the quarter mile didn't make a difference. You can feel the difference every time you mash the throttle.

Having said all that, from what I have read, I am still not convinced that the flash actually causes permanent power loss. Many seem not to have any loss of power at all after the flash.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
A lot of guys are getting their power back after a few hundred miles apparently. The ECU needs to be "retrained" to put out aggressive numbers, and there are only a small amount of people suffering these issues. When it comes to limited production cars with special engines and new technologies, there are a lot of pitfalls.

There are a few M5 guys suffering horrible problems right now, the "red cog of death" seems to be popping up all over the world, but I've had exactly no problems whatsoever.

Remember that people with car troubles will always be bawking about it on forums, while those without are too busy driving around to post "My car works great" threads all day.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
ECU is not a problem...money is...

Get one you wont be sorry...CL is outdateВ...SLK is too small....

Make sure all recalls done..

Last edited by E55 RUSS; 10-11-2006 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
As they mentioned above, check the VIN with your service advisor, they should be able to tell you the history of the car. I too was worried that my car had been reflashed and told my advisor to pop the VIN in the computer, no where near did it say I had the reflash done all they changed was the Injector Pump module which was a good recall. After that whne ever I take my car to the dealer she is "warned" to not change a light bulb on my car without telling me, somehow it works and they want to keep me happy so that is how it goes, heheheheh.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Had no recall notifications on my EUR (UK) Sept 05 production '06 E55 ... dunno if recall has been done or not - but this thing goes like a BOOH....

Have not taken it to a dyno but will do soon just to get a base line....

Trending Topics

Old 10-11-2006, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,066 Likes on 855 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
I really wanted the E class over S/CL due to its smaller size and more "sporty" look, however, If I don't get an E55, I will probably go with CL600 or maybe even an SLK55 for some top-down cruising....
I can tell you with certainty that the CL sport looks more sporty than the E55. The E55 is invisible to most but you will be under a magnifying glass with the CL since everyone seems to notice the car.

Get one you wont be sorry...CL is outdates...
I've seen the new one and I don't like it at all. It looks more like an acura CL than a Mercedes. The 215 CL and the R230 SL is a classic and will always look good.

If you are considerig a used CL, make sure it is checked for ABC issues/leaks. That's a very expensive repair. Go for the 600 because it's quicker than the CL55 and much easier to modify.

If you need a 4 door, go for the E55. I do agree that the E55 looks more sporty than the S600.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
We're almost down to the point where you find a prospective car and ask them to put it on the dyno before you purchase it.

Seems like so many of the motors are ALLLLL over the place on hp. Course 1000 differently tuned dynos around the US doesn't help either.

I b-itch and moan a lot, but honestly, unless my business is about to go belly up, my E55 stays.........til twin turbs in 09. (evil laugh....heh heh hehhhhh)
Old 10-11-2006, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
The HP's are all over the place because there are so many guys modding in many different ways with many different tuners...

Then we have adpative ECU to boot ... and it seems diferent rating in fuel US vs Europe ...

To me BUTT dyno is most reliable as well as the expression on the forlorn losers in street drags ...
Old 10-11-2006, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
I didn't know there were that many horror stories about the E55, lol. I haven't had one problem with my car, i haven't had the infamous & mysterious reflash done either. Who the heck is only getting 350whp on their E55's? That is definitely not right. Here is an idea, go to the dealership that has the car you like, ask the service advisor to check if the reflash has been done & test drive it. Then make your decision. Good luck.

I'm not knocking on anyone here, but i still have yet to hear a concrete yes by MB stating that there is indeed a reflash being done to our cars. I am not a lawyer, but i'd venture to guess that MB would be obligated to tell it's customers if this was indeed happening.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:42 AM

‘11 SLS, ‘19 GT63 s Edition One
Unhappy

You're right, you are justified in not buying an E55. You're also right in that all I've ever seen on this forum is people complaining about how crappy their car is.

I wonder why then people like VRUS, Jangy, myself and others love their cars so much They must be nuts !!

You should leave all of us E55 lovers with the SLOW 12-12.7 sec cars to complain among ourselves. Afterall, the E55 is the ONLY performance car out there that has ever had problems or detractors, certainly everyone who owns an M5, CL, CLS, S or....... has never heard of anyone complaining about something.

I'm usually pretty laid back, but this is a total waste of a post. If you don't want to buy an E55 based on only focusing on the negative then don't buy it. Have you not seen the great things about the E55 that have been posted. Why post anyway? Go buy something else, and then complain about how you should have bought the E55.

Good luck and buuuh bye.

Cyrus
Old 10-11-2006, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
The concerns are valid. However, the good outweighs the bad. I can't confirm 100%, but I believe my E55 had the flash when it was in for the air pump. Never noticed any difference in power at all. Still runs consistent 12s and carries me and my family in total comfort.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:17 PM

2023 Range rover 2022 RAM TRX (bad ass):) - 2023 911 Turbo 2019 Wrangler 2021 E63s Wagon
I have had the reflash done and my car SEEMS as quick as ever. I think that the power comes back.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
I had my reflash done and it still pulls like a freight train. At first it felt like there was a bit of lag but after about a few weeks of driving (not my daily car) its back to how it was. The wife was driving it the other day and said she was doing 90 on the onramp and was barely on the gas. Love the "BEAST"

Tuskir: Don't be afraid of the "E". I have had no problems. Great car. Love every minute of it as most can tell by my grin at full throttle.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
check this thread... the recall is not an issue:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/166415-dyno-results-stock-vs-mb-recall-flash-vs-re-flash-renntech.html

Originally Posted by Tuskir
WOW... I just spend the last 2 hours reading all the e55 horror stories, how people were completely backstabbed by dealers with the new "ecu recall" and how some people are only getting 350whp and high 12's out of their e55's! I was planning to mod my car with kleemann k2, but it looks like the reflash affects the modified e55's just as much and that MBZ somehow "hides" this from tuners making them unable to return the car back to its full potential! The car that I had in mind is a used 05 from a local dealer, so it probably had the reflash done already and I don't have the option of forcing my dealer not to do this. In my view, this is completely unacceptable and warrants a class-action lawsuit. Mercedes is probably doing this to make their stupid e63 more appealing. Why is nothing being done? Am I justified in canceling my decision to buy an e55 based on this?

P.S. I really wanted the E class over S/CL due to its smaller size and more "sporty" look, however, If I don't get an E55, I will probably go with CL600 or maybe even an SLK55 for some top-down cruising....
Old 10-11-2006, 05:29 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
This forum is like a family. We ***** and moan to each other but really the E55 and the E63 are 2 of the best cars in the world. Period. Don't let the stories here keep you from buying any AMG product. I'll most likely never drive anything else again, including another Vette. One's enough, not in the same league as a Benz IMO. Quality is second to none and getting better by the day.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:23 PM

ML350 '06
I recently bought my '05 E55 and confirmed with the dealer that the recall was done before I even stepped into the car. I didn't know what to think after hearing about the horror stories from others about losing power.

So I put it on a Dyno about 1 week ago and was VERY pleased with the results! https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/165329-my-e55-dyno-results.html

If I were you I'd get the beast and take advantage of the great deals that are out there right now. You won't be disappointed! I guess I'll always be wondering what those #'s could be before the recall was performed.

Nick

Last edited by Nickerz; 10-11-2006 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Buy the car that makes you feel the most comfortable. In my case, I couldn't be more comfortable than I am while in my car. I have had the recall done and the power seems to be as good as ever. It pulls strong all the way up to the speed limiter at 158.

I am currently on a road trip across a few southwestern states. I have been 2,300 miles so far and I have not had any issues with the car. I can drive it all day at any speed and it acts like it is as fresh as it was the first day I drove it home. During one segment of 200, or so, miles I averaged 82 MPH, which included a long wait on a train in Pecos, TX. I was able to cruise it at 140 in complete solitude. There was no noise, no viberation, no nothing. Just miles passing quickly and good vibes from Sirius keeping me entertained. The drive from Phoenix to Payson, AZ was extremely stimulating. The road had about a thousand curves on the edge of steep mountain dropoffs. I stiffened the suspension and let her rip. My wife held on for dear life as she looked out the window at hundreds of feet of empty space while moving at speeds around 100 MPH. It was an experience that one would have to witness to appreciate. The car felt totally under control at all times and never even hinted that it didn’t want to keep its feet firmly planted on the road. In northeast AZ, I drove about 50 miles through very heavy rain with quite a bit of hail/ice mixed in. The wipers became covered with ice and the ground was mostly white from the ice. I slowed down to 60, and sometimes down to 30 or 40 because the rain was so heavy. The drive through it lasted an hour. There was not one incident of loosing traction or feeling that there was a loss of control. The car performed miraculously.

If you want one of the finest cars in the world, that happens to be a 4-door sedan, then the E55 is certainly a fine choice. Just priortize your needs and may the force be with you.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:42 AM

E55, S550 Sport, 996blk sometime silver, LS430
I had the re-flash done about a month ago. at first it feel like I lose some power..but after about 300 miles everything went back to normal.. it actually feel a lot faster than before.. car is very responsive
Old 10-24-2006, 03:48 PM

After doing some more research it certainly looks like 03-04 cars have experienced more power loss due to recall. Looks like 05-06 cars have less problems.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:29 PM

My car was reflashed last week. No power change. Still brutally quick. Still beautiful. Still love it.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by NewMoses
My car was reflashed last week. No power change. Still brutally quick. Still beautiful. Still love it.
Since yours is an 06, it only confirms that the reflash only affects 03 and 04 models. I will certainly be looking for 05+ from now on... there are a few 05 cars for sale right now for high 50's with around 20k miles.

Last edited by Tuskir; 10-24-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:21 AM

i will personally rate the e55 as the best 4 door salloon car in the world.
yes the m5 or 63 might be a bit quicker but u limited with those cars in terms of modifications.

with the e55 u can do as u please and u have a base to work from.
stage 1-pully upgrade
stage 2-pully ecu nos headers etc

then no 4 door salloon car will catch u.