Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand New Wood steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 08:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2024 G63, 2021 X7M50i
Thank you all for your quick responses. I went down to my local auto parts store and picked up a breaker bar and with the help of my wife we got it lose.

But now I have another issue. I hooked everything up and everything WAS working perfectly, steering wheel buttons, shift down/up, etc. until I was holding 1st gear after downshifting via the left paddle while in "D" and right as it hit about 7000 RPM the car shifted into 2nd automatically. I then let off the gas and tried to down**** to 1st again via the left paddle and NOTHING. I couldn't shift up either! I was stuck in 2nd gear and could not shift using either paddles. I tried to switch out of "M" and into "S" or "C" and NOTHING. It was stuck. I contined to drive, luckily about 30mph and finally I was able to shift up via the paddle and turned it to "D."

Now I cannot downshift using the left paddle at all??? The right paddle upshifts when in manually put it into "M" but I cannot downshift via the paddle in "M" nor can I automatically downshift to 1st from regular "D" like I could before.

Help anyone? Is it my wheel? But it was working perfectly before I tried to push my car by holding 1st gear.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Thumbnails Brand New Wood steering wheel-dtm-wheel-1.jpg   Brand New Wood steering wheel-dtm-wheel-2.jpg  
Old 07-28-2007, 10:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I would check the install. I worry about the wiring connections. Be careful.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:22 PM

2024 G63, 2021 X7M50i
Originally Posted by jangy
I would check the install. I worry about the wiring connections. Be careful.
Thanks Jangy, I was very careful when I reinstalled the new wheel. Since the DTM wheel is a factory MB wheel all the internals remained the same and it was a simply swap/plug/play. I installed the pastel green and yellow wires accordingly and the black one at the top of the airbag last. I plugged the red/white wires into the second to the last slot of the steering wheel the same as it was in the stock wheel. Everything is the same???

I just came back from disconnecting my battery in hopes of resetting the computer and as I drove off the downshift to 1st from D/S worked again! But NOT so lucky as I was driving home I downshifted to 1st from D/S again and it did downshift but as I wanted to upshift via the paddle NOTHING. I then tried to upshift via the shifter by tapping it to the right NOTHING. I was now stuck in 1st! I pulled over and waited and waited until I could finally shift out of 1st.

The odd thing I noticed was that my center dash display that shows the gear I am in said 1 when I got stuck and so did the smaller display that shows the "D" or the gear number; however, when I was able to upshift the gear still showed "1" in the center display but the gear in the smaller display was going up as I upshifted. I made it home and once more the downshift from "D/S" does not work????

I just unplugged my battery again to reset.

Any ideas????
Attached Thumbnails Brand New Wood steering wheel-stock-wheel.jpg  
Old 07-29-2007, 12:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
That still sounds like a loose contact or a short somewhere. You never mention if the stick shift itself works during these episodes? In the case of a short, I would expect it to act no differently than the paddles, but if you have a bad connection, they may work. If that is the case, then it would indicate a bad connection somewhere. I wonder if your on - off status has anything to do with temp? From what I understood, the DTM wheel is a straight plug and play, so I do not know why the issues. As a final resort, you may want to go back to stock to prove that you did not cause some short during the install. Then you can narrow it down to the new wheel.

Did you use the old wiring from your wheel or did you get all new wiring with the paddles?
Old 07-29-2007, 03:14 AM

2024 G63, 2021 X7M50i
Thanks again Jangy for the response and you were right I had a short stemming from the left side downshift paddle. The DTM wheel came with its own wiring so initially I simply did the straight plug and play.

I started to double check the wiring and I noticed that the DTM had the paddles plugged into the module opposite of my stock wheel, as the left paddle was plugged into the first top slot and the right paddle was plugged into the second slot. So I swapped the wiring to match my factory wheel but still had a problem as soon as I downshifted with the left paddle. I then swapped the wiring module from my factory wheel with the one in the DTM wheel and still no luck.

I then began to remove the left paddle and there it was, the blue and black wires were pinched and nearly severed by the screw that held the paddle in place! I swapped out the left paddle with the one from my factory wheel and then double checked the right paddle and it was good.

So I then reinstalled everything and with fingers crossed ran it through the bases. I can downshift anytime I pull the left paddle regardless of being in D/S or M. I held both 1st and 2nd by pulling the left paddle in D/S and it held up to about 6800-7000 and shifted to 2nd.

So everything seems to be good to go now, knock on wood Who would have thought to check the paddle as it was already wired and installed.

So I am now trying to get the left paddle exchanged from the vendor I bought it from.

Geez a 30 min project turned into 6 hours!
Old 07-29-2007, 11:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Sweet!! Glad you worked it out. I thought it sounded electricel. Actually, I have heard of many that have that issue. Handmade is sometimes NOT a good thing. LOL.