Sponsored by:

RennTech Real Life experiences:

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL65
SLK55R,
Thanks for the info. You need another post to get off the bad number.

Can you use the high flow cats after adding the Renntech Headers without any problems or ECU changes? I'm saying have someone else install them after the Renntech install. Also would they cause a check engine light problem because of the increased flow?
Old 10-15-2006, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Yes, when you replace the 400 cell cats to 100/200 cells, you need to reprogram the ECU. When you go to your local Renntech dealer, inform them of your high flow cats and you will be fine. And yes, check engine light will occur if you dont reprogram your ECU.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
ewww 666!

Thanks for the warning!
Old 10-15-2006, 04:56 PM

06 E55 SOLD, 89 300 SE 375,000 miles
Originally Posted by AdamG@EuroElites
Yes, when you replace the 400 cell cats to 100/200 cells, you need to reprogram the ECU. When you go to your local Renntech dealer, inform them of your high flow cats and you will be fine. And yes, check engine light will occur if you dont reprogram your ECU.
Adam,

Do you program out the CEL or just reset it. I know with the Kleeman setup the CEL needs to be programmed out.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by mbamg06e55
Adam,

Do you program out the CEL or just reset it. I know with the Kleeman setup the CEL needs to be programmed out.

You would have to program it out, since the ECU is not going to like the new environment. Either that, or fake the sensors. The RENNTECH headers are a direct bolt on to the current system. Labor is minimal. the K and EVO ones need modification to attach the header to the current system (which also deletes the cats).
Old 10-15-2006, 05:32 PM

'06 M5
Actually the Evosport headers are direct bolt on and the Kleemann headers remove the pre-cats and modify the ecu line of code which checks the sensor at the pre-cat.

Hopefully I used the correct terms here
Old 10-15-2006, 05:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by darren_dallas
Actually the Evosport headers are direct bolt on and the Kleemann headers remove the pre-cats and modify the ecu line of code which checks the sensor at the pre-cat.

Hopefully I used the correct terms here

You sure about the EVOs? I'm confused because I don't see why there would be an O2 issue if it were a direct bolt on. Also, why would install cost so much?Maybe I just got bad quotes.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:42 PM

'06 M5
Jangy,

Yes sir. I'm positive since I owned a set before my Kleemann headers .

The Evosport shorty headers literally just replace the exhaust manifold crap AMG uses on the E55 (total lame piece of metal...I should take a photo and show it to you). The Evosport shorty headers do not replace any thing else and use the stock bolt holes, etc.

Kleemann's header "kit" replaces the same manifold, but also replaces the pre-cats with down pipes which are welded up to the stock system. Because of this the O2 sensor is useless and the ECU is modified to not even check it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Darren
Old 10-15-2006, 05:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by darren_dallas
Jangy,

Yes sir. I'm positive since I owned a set before my Kleemann headers .

The Evosport shorty headers literally just replace the exhaust manifold crap AMG uses on the E55 (total lame piece of metal...I should take a photo and show it to you). The Evosport shorty headers do not replace any thing else and use the stock bolt holes, etc.

Kleemann's header "kit" replaces the same manifold, but also replaces the pre-cats with down pipes which are welded up to the stock system. Because of this the O2 sensor is useless and the ECU is modified to not even check it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Darren

It does help. i wonder what the difference is in the Evo and RENN headers, then?? I know plenty of the RENN ones, but maybe the people I spoke to about EVO aren't as technical?
Old 10-15-2006, 05:54 PM

'06 M5
Yeah, it would be interesting to compare the three side by side. Also, I believe Chiromikey had a custom set made and it would be interesting to get his results as well if you'd like a 4th option.

Cheerio,

Darren
Old 10-15-2006, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by jangy
It does help. i wonder what the difference is in the Evo and RENN headers, then?? I know plenty of the RENN ones, but maybe the people I spoke to about EVO aren't as technical?
im gonna run the renntech pully and ecu and the evo headers just cuzz they are coated and alot cheaper. i was told by vrus that they are direct bolt on. i think i also read that on there site.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Renntech headers can be coated by request, (and a small fee i believe) and it a direct bolt on.

As far as i know, Renntech will program your car according to your request. If you are using 100 octane, you can inform Renntech to program your car for 100 octane. The good thing about Renntech is the continuous software development.

PS: Do a search on EVO headers/ Renntech headers. I believe there are pictures of each of the respective headers.

Renntech
Performance without compromise.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by AdamG@EuroElites
Renntech headers can be coated by request, (and a small fee i believe) and it a direct bolt on.

As far as i know, Renntech will program your car according to your request. If you are using 100 octane, you can inform Renntech to program your car for 100 octane. The good thing about Renntech is the continuous software development.

PS: Do a search on EVO headers/ Renntech headers. I believe there are pictures of each of the respective headers.

Renntech
Performance without compromise.
thats good to know cuzz your gonna be puttin this stuff on my car. now lets just get the price down towards the evo prices! i will be seein you in 2-3 weeks or sooner if my rims get here sooner.