Sponsored by:

'55 clutch squeak...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S55 Graphite Designo
'55 clutch squeak...

i heard that this forum may have a bit more insight so i'm re-posting this here to see if anyone has any solutions...

upon application of gas from stopped or slightly stopped, there is a loud squeak from the hood area. i thought this was a belt, but was told that this is just a part of owning an S55, that the clutch engaging makes the squeak and that is the way it is.

i find that hard to believe.

while i trust that the dealer i have taken the car to is competant i just find it hard to swallow that the supreme masterpiece of engineering that is my mighty S55 was designed to make the most annoying sound on the planet from a dead stop.

driving in traffic is almost embarrasing, every little touch of the gas, SQUEAK!. driving in a parking garage is like nails on a chalkboard.

someone wake me up and tell me this is just my car and it can be fixed! does every single S55 owner have to deal with the dreaded noise? the dealer told me that every driver of an S55 has this happen. they all do it. it is 'normal'. i don't accept that. it sounds like an old car with a bad belt. not a 100k+ machine.

anyone else having this 'problem'?
Old 11-04-2006, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
well, as much as it sucks, it is normal. it's the trade off for getting decent gas milage out of a 500hp car. there are reports that the '06's have a newer clutch pack that has eliminated the squeek. i don't know of anyone that has had the '06 clutch replaced under warranty in their earlier model 55 yet but it's worth a shot.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:15 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
It is no rumor. Many members have been in and had theirs replaced with the '06 one. It has been covered under warranty for most, but I'd pay for it if needed. It practically eliminated the SC shut off concern as well.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jangy
It is no rumor. Many members have been in and had theirs replaced with the '06 one. It has been covered under warranty for most, but I'd pay for it if needed. It practically eliminated the SC shut off concern as well.
i don't necessarily doubt your info but i have not heard of anyone that has received an '06 clutchpack replaced under warranty. if you've got specific info or if those members could chime in i would apprecaite it cause i'd like to have it done.

i also queston that the s/c clutch is causing s/c shut down. everything i've read and dealt with on my own car says that the s/c shut off concern has nothing to do with the s/c clutch and appears to be directly related to high iat's and faulty i/c pumps.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by chiromikey
i don't necessarily doubt your info but i have not heard of anyone that has received an '06 clutchpack replaced under warranty. if you've got specific info or if those members could chime in i would apprecaite it cause i'd like to have it done.

i also queston that the s/c clutch is causing s/c shut down. everything i've read and dealt with on my own car says that the s/c shut off concern has nothing to do with the s/c clutch and appears to be directly related to high iat's and faulty i/c pumps.

I don't know what part of the coiuntry you are in, but most recently JAY55 took his car (an '04) on a run with us and complained of SC shut off. He took it to MB of san Diego and simply stated SC shut Off. He got the '06 clutch pack installed (warranty) and we have been on 2 rides since without any reported issues.

Since i do not have first hand experience on it, I am not the expert. From my own experience, my '05 did have SC shut off a few times under repeated bursts, but I have NEVER had the '06 do it under the same conditions.

Agreed that the true fix for the shut offs is temperature control. No doubt about that.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

don't lie jangy...you know what part of the country i'm in.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:24 PM
dsc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
I tried to get my clutch replaced under warranty. Dealer wouldn't do it. Said the squeak was normal and everthing was working fine.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:19 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Can you hear it with the windows closed? I notice very rarely with the windows down but never hear it closed up.

My suggestion is to upgrade your subwoofer and possibly your whole stereo and keep your windows closed.

That's how I deal with MY OCD personality flaws.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:47 AM

2004 S55 Graphite Designo
great! thanks for the info! i'm going to go back and see if i can't shake some feathers at my local shop. 06 clutch pack seems to be the answer. i just can't see how MB can say something like that is normal, then make a better design to 'fix' the problem. i'll let you all know how it goes!