The saga continues...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 02:56 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
Unhappy The saga continues...

As some of you may recall my 2004 has struggled to make decent power for some time now. I had the dreaded recall done and then my I/C pump died this summer; the car was making around 315 WHP. With the new pump in place everything felt good, like the pre-ecu flash days and I never had the car back on the dyno. Life was good.

FF to a couple of days ago when I added the ASP pulley. Pre-dyno showed 370 WHP and 420 WTQ... Hmmm...Not what I had hoped for.
Post pulley dyno showed 412 WHP and 443 WTQ for the first run.
The second run showed 360 WHP and 423 WTQ in what appears to be a vicious case of heat soak.

I'm can't quite figure out why I need a pulley just to make similar power to what others on this board are making in stock configuration

Could my I/C pump be going out again? I'll try to post the dyno plot tomorrow.

Sorry for the rant but this is starting to make me depressed.

-Mattias
Old 11-22-2006, 03:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Make sure intercooler was bled properly ...

Need to also measure
Ambient temps at time of test
IAT's
Coolant temps in the I/C line (i.e. going to the I/C)
A/F ratio ? Need dyno plot to see
Belt slipping - when was it last changed out ... ?
S/C clutch faulty ?
What ECU tune do you have if any ?
What dyno was it ?
Any other mods done to car?

Last edited by stevebez; 11-22-2006 at 03:44 AM.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 E55 Black
I think you ought to do a quarter mile run on the highway and if you hit 115mph, forget the dyno numbers other than as baseline
Old 11-22-2006, 11:58 AM

E55
Originally Posted by regor60
I think you ought to do a quarter mile run on the highway and if you hit 115mph, forget the dyno numbers other than as baseline
I won't want to do this. At the second run, he is loosing >60rwhp. Something is not right. If it is heat shock then the ECU is saving the motor by shutting down the supercharger.

I would answer Steve questions so people can help diagnose the possible problem first.

Then if it is suggesting a heat shock problem, then I would do
read this - https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/119048-couple-thoughts-pulleys.html

my experience - https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/170885-asp-pulley-f-dyno-chart.html

Good luck,
Old 11-22-2006, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
something is definitely wrong w/ you car. i had the pump replaced on my moms car and no prob.

sell it, get a new one
Old 11-22-2006, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
i still wouldn't rule out your i/c pump even though it's been replaced. one of the problems with my post recall ecu was that it was running SUPER lean (which is unheard of on these cars) and pulling timing/boost/and trying to dump fuel to compensate. all this KILLS power and my car was behaving exactly like yours is, on and off the dyno.

rule out i/c pump first, then tackle the ecu. steve is right, data logging is probably required since i doubt your dealer is going to investigate too much for you.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
loosing all that hp after 1 run has to be do to heat, i would just forget about the stock pump and go aftermarket. adam at euroelites is in fremont sells and installs renntech I/C pumps and heat exchangers. IMO this should be at least the second mod to any 55 with first being a pully and ECU.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:43 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 E55
Dyno plots

This came at the end of a crazy day... 6+ hrs for a pulley install...
The plots are all over the place, down shifting, MPH instead of RPM, sampling starting at 3600 RPM on the other...

With the cool temps that day (around 60 F) i was expecting better results. The ASP pulley and K&N Filters are the only mods.

Kronen and Euroelites are both pretty close, any feedback that should steer me one way or the other?
Attached Thumbnails The saga continues...-pre-post-dyno.jpg   The saga continues...-post-dyno.jpg  
Old 11-22-2006, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
ya euroelites is a renntech dealer witch gives them support and gaurantees on all the products they sale. i have been pumping them up alot cuzz they realy impressed the **** outta me with there customer service. i live in sacramento now and i had the stage 1 installed by them. when i got home he called and asked how i liked it. i told him i couldnt tell much of a difference. he said ill be there first thing in the morning to check it out. he then (tony) came up sent my ECU info to germany via e-mail right there on the spot had a different tune back in minutes and i was on my way. my car is there right now getting the lowering mod and I/C pump and exchanger installed. im a newbi to this form and amgs but not to aftermarkt companies and this one is the best i have delt with to date.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:49 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
mstenberg:

Check your intake air filters and exhaust. It looks like you could have an airflow restriction.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:31 PM

E55
Were you also in dyno mode? Secondly, you should start the dyno run at a lower rpm to get a truer torque number.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:49 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 E55
I just recently installed the K&N filters, clogged converters maybe...?

The car was in dyno mode and I specifically asked to have the sampling start around 2K rpm but that seems to have fallen on deaf ears. The person performing the dyno session had issues with keeping the the car from down-shifting...was also saying something about misfires, no DTC's from the car though.

I have made it a habit of checking the S/C heat exchanger daily to see if it feels hot or not and most of the time it's barely warm to the touch. I figured with the added boost this thing would be really hot, all the time

Maybe I got another lame pump, or maybe my ECU is telling my pump to just sit back and relax while the temps soar...

-Mattias
Old 11-22-2006, 06:17 PM

E55
Also, was it done in M at 4th gear? It shouldn't be downshifting. He must be in S or C mode.

This is odd as well. Since I have seen E55 graph from dynospot before so they must have done plenty of E55 dyno.

Secondly, have someone pull DIL or codes? I read somewhere that our car is still OBDII and any OBDII reader can pull the codes and data. If I know where the plug is, I'll do this right away since my uncle has a couple of readers in his shop.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Hello Mattias,

Sorry to hear of your ordeal. If you like, feel free to bring the car by. We can diagnose to see if the pump is working and show you how to bleed it. Or if you bring lunch for 4, we'll bleed it for free. Our tech thinks it might be the K&N'S, because you did mention some misfiring. This is due to over-oiling, but without any proper diagnostic, its just a guess. We'll be open this coming Saturday. Feel free to contact me or my staff to make an appointment.

PS: No spicey food
Old 11-22-2006, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Another reason to hit Euroelites....Adam is there ! Great customer service for Renntech !!
Old 11-22-2006, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by AdamG@EuroElites
Hello Mattias,

Sorry to hear of your ordeal. If you like, feel free to bring the car by. We can diagnose to see if the pump is working and show you how to bleed it. Or if you bring lunch for 4, we'll bleed it for free. Our tech thinks it might be the K&N'S, because you did mention some misfiring. This is due to over-oiling, but without any proper diagnostic, its just a guess. We'll be open this coming Saturday. Feel free to contact me or my staff to make an appointment.

PS: No spicey food
that's awesome!!! take advantage of that!!!!!!
Old 11-22-2006, 10:49 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 E55
Thumbs up

Thanks Adam, I keep hearing good things about you guys from different board members. I might not be able to make it Saturday due to the holiday weekend, but I will then surely make it in the following Monday.

Thanks again for your kind offer, at this point I'm so tired of this ordeal that I would easily be persuaded to go Renntech...

-Mattias
Old 11-22-2006, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Mattias,

We are pretty flexible with our timetable. However, i think the best time to come is 7 pm because a Stage 5 Renntech E55 will be present.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:42 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 E55
Well folks looks like another dead I/C pump. She's going to the dealer today for another pump. Big thanks to Tony @ Euroelites for the courteous service . While this takes care of the immediate heatsoak issue I still feel that there are more issues yet to be discovered.
I have made a committment to work this thing through with EuroElites, and I will have this car running right even if it kills me in the process...

On another note; I just want to point out that in my previous post where I mention that EuroElites and Kronen are pretty close I meant that in a geographical sense (both in Fremont) and nothing else.
I have never been to Kronen and can therefore not make any comments on the subject.

-Mattias
Old 11-27-2006, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by mstenberg
Well folks looks like another dead I/C pump. She's going to the dealer today for another pump. Big thanks to Tony @ Euroelites for the courteous service . While this takes care of the immediate heatsoak issue I still feel that there are more issues yet to be discovered.
I have made a committment to work this thing through with EuroElites, and I will have this car running right even if it kills me in the process...

On another note; I just want to point out that in my previous post where I mention that EuroElites and Kronen are pretty close I meant that in a geographical sense (both in Fremont) and nothing else.
I have never been to Kronen and can therefore not make any comments on the subject.

-Mattias
ya tony is a cool cat! why not just get the renn i/c pump and heat exchanger and be done with it? i just did and it works great compared to stock. good luck.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:17 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 E55
I'm not entirely sure that I "need" another heat exchanger. Apparently RENNtech doesn't sell just the pump. I would just like to get the initial I/C pump issues taken care of before tossing in more variables. Although I must admit that pump/exchanger combo looks pretty good.

I might not have much of a choice in the end when the dealership discovers the "big" pulley under the hood... Hopefully they will understand, they have been pretty accomodating thus far, of course that was pre-pulley...

-Mattias
Old 11-27-2006, 07:43 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by AdamG@EuroElites
Our tech thinks it might be the K&N'S, because you did mention some misfiring. This is due to over-oiling, but without any proper diagnostic, its just a guess.
No MAF in these cars to foul.