Another VRUS Happy ending

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55
Talking Another VRUS Happy ending

Received my Vrus TB yesterday and immediately started the install procedure. Took me and a friend about 4 to 5 hours to complete. Pretty strait forward install, thanks to vrus's kit.

Drove the car some more this morning and all i can say is this is a must have mod. Throttle response is definitely better and the power increase is felt all the way across the rpm band.

Should have some dyno results on tuesday to confirm my butt dyno.

VRUS TB=
Old 11-25-2006, 11:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rflow306
Received my Vrus TB yesterday and immediately started the install procedure. Took me and a friend about 4 to 5 hours to complete. Pretty strait forward install, thanks to vrus's kit.

Drove the car some more this morning and all i can say is this is a must have mod. Throttle response is definitely better and the power increase is felt all the way across the rpm band.

VRUS TB=
Nice to hear, let me know how the dyno go's
Old 11-25-2006, 12:09 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Albert.. Congrats on the successfull install!! Glad you are liking the new mod. Can I say I told you so now? Only you & Finny were crazy enough to tackle this in your garages.. LOL.. Not even I wanted to attempt that..

I am really itching to put one of these on a stock car and see if there is a big difference in driveability & power or if it is only necessary on a pulley & ECU car..

Take care buddy and let me know how it goes next week..

Originally Posted by rflow306

VRUS TB=
Old 11-25-2006, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Charger Hellcat
I am really itching to put one of these on a stock car and see if there is a big difference in driveability & power or if it is only necessary on a pulley & ECU car..
I have a stock E, do you have any in stock?
Old 11-25-2006, 02:46 PM

well hopefully next month we can get it on mine V. Mine is stock
Old 11-25-2006, 04:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Will this fit on a W208 CLK55 by any chance?
Old 11-25-2006, 04:43 PM
Banned

w210 E55
Sign me up if it will work for a w210 E55 N/A.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
Originally Posted by vrus
Albert.. Congrats on the successfull install!! Glad you are liking the new mod. Can I say I told you so now? Only you & Finny were crazy enough to tackle this in your garages.. LOL.. Not even I wanted to attempt that..

Take care buddy and let me know how it goes next week..
Victor a few questions... first question is does the ECU have to be reprogrammed for the TB? Second question, i dont want to make my car louder. Is there any difference in sound? Lastly how much for the T/B?
Old 11-25-2006, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by vrus
My VRP TB kit arrived on Monday and the shop installed it on my otherwise completely stock SL55 on Tuesday.

My seat-of-the-pants sense is that throttle response and power are both improved. I plan to bring the car in for a dyno run in a couple of weeks and will post the results.

Due to a scheduling snafu, I wasn't able to get a before dyno so we won't be able to compare results before and after the installation. I expect the after dyno to post stronger numbers than a typical stock 55 motor so we can at least see if that proves true.

Thanks for everything, Victor. The kit was first class and the guys at the shop had no problems installing it.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:37 AM

06 Merc E55, 996TT
jmf where did you get the work done? Motorwerks? Just curious cause im from Michigan also.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
I saw alot of the previous posts on this and I am 99% sure it is for the 55kompressor motors only. The TB is different I believe and it is mated to the S/C or a plate or something.

I think your TB is more similar to mine on the NA M113 motors. Which I might add is very easy to remove and even eaiser to drop off for porting. I think we both have something like a 76mm? Mine is going to 80mm over the winter if we have the material allowing 80mm. Should cost you maybe $200.00-$250 for a good shop. It should defenitly help with the S/C's effeciency.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:06 AM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by NitrogenBalance
I think your TB is more similar to mine on the NA M113 motors. Which I might add is very easy to remove and even eaiser to drop off for porting. I think we both have something like a 76mm? Mine is going to 80mm over the winter if we have the material allowing 80mm. Should cost you maybe $200.00-$250 for a good shop. It should defenitly help with the S/C's effeciency.
Correction 74mm.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:41 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
All the ones I have are sold already. I can get more within a week if needed.

Originally Posted by 305-E55
I have a stock E, do you have any in stock?
I forgot your car was still stock... This will be a great test. Please make sure you do a dyno pull just before you install. I'm very curious to see if the stock motor will benefit from the additional flow of the bigger TB.

Originally Posted by Mad TKD
well hopefully next month we can get it on mine V. Mine is stock
The TB itself will work on a CLK55 but I think an adapter plate needs to be made to mount it up to the stock location. Also, you would have to port the receiving side of the intake (the piece that the TB mounts to) on your car to 80mm to get the full benefit.

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
The TB itself can be made to work on all the 55 N.A. cars.. The issue is adapting the mounting holes and getting the receiving side ported like I explained above. I've never tried it, but if you guys want to be the first, I can just sell you the TB itself and setup the wiring for you.

Originally Posted by amgdriven
Sign me up if it will work for a w210 E55 N/A.
On some cars yes.. on some cars no.. It really depends on how the A/F curve is CURRENTLY on your car. If it is on the rich side, you wont have to. Generally most cars from the factory are too rich so putting this TB on is a bolt-on affair.. no re-programming necessary.

There is absolutely 0% increase in sound. The TB doesnt whistle or make any noises differently than the stock one. You wont even know its there until you push the gas pedal. TB kit is $2850CDN + shipping.

Originally Posted by x-tian-230k
Victor a few questions... first question is does the ECU have to be reprogrammed for the TB? Second question, i dont want to make my car louder. Is there any difference in sound? Lastly how much for the T/B?
John: You are very welcome my friend. Glad you are happy and hopefully the dyno will provide some nice gains on a stock car. The big question is whether the stock motor has sufficient airflow as it sits.. If it does you wont see a big gain in power but the throttle response and off-supercharger driving will still be much better.

Keep us updated on the dyno results.

Originally Posted by jmf003
My VRP TB kit arrived on Monday and the shop installed it on my otherwise completely stock SL55 on Tuesday.

My seat-of-the-pants sense is that throttle response and power are both improved. I plan to bring the car in for a dyno run in a couple of weeks and will post the results.

Due to a scheduling snafu, I wasn't able to get a before dyno so we won't be able to compare results before and after the installation. I expect the after dyno to post stronger numbers than a typical stock 55 motor so we can at least see if that proves true.

Thanks for everything, Victor. The kit was first class and the guys at the shop had no problems installing it.
Stock TB on 55 motors is 74mm. There isnt enough meat on them to port more than 2 or 3mm at best and I wouldnt push it past that because you risk destroying the TB. Max you are going to get is 77mm opening which means a 75mm - 76mm butterfly plate.

Originally Posted by NitrogenBalance
Old 11-26-2006, 12:17 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Measurement

74 mm is correct measure at the throttle body bore mating flang surface -to the inlet manifold. The optimal air horn lead in angle . Leading To the front side of the throttle /air valve plate bore is 7 1/2 degrees. done it & prove it on a Flow bench. Boring out a stock piece to 78 mm. may not get you all the benefits of a true / genuine part. Manufactured by the OEM. Also remember the air valve shaft bearing area??. It would become thinner from boring. more susceptible to warpage . throttle binding , from heat & improper torque too attachment screws.
Thats all I got to say ABOUT THIS .

p/s a SCREW IS A SCREW , UNTIL YOU A NUT ON IT
Then it becomes a BOLT!! ___PTE___
Old 11-26-2006, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by the yellow man
jmf where did you get the work done? Motorwerks? Just curious cause im from Michigan also.
Hi, Yellow Man.

Yes, I had the work done at MotorWerks. Good guys. Good shop. JokerzWild used them before me and had a good experience, so I decided to try them. I'll definitely use them again for any complicated installation.

Feel free to PM me if you want any additional info.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:34 PM
Banned

German
VRUS, do own a MB performance shop ?

sounds like a great part..
Old 11-26-2006, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
VRUS...can you give a quick install explaination...how much needs to be torn apart to install this ?
Old 11-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Thanks! I am very happy with the way the kit turned out. So far everyone that has received one has been very happy.

As for the performance shop... I dont own one right now... but it may turn into that in the near future..

Originally Posted by //AMG KING
VRUS, do own a MB performance shop ?

sounds like a great part..
You have to pull your S/C out of the car to install it.. Its 4 -5 hrs by a qualified tech.. Of course there are brave men like Albert (rflow306) & Wayne (Finny) who did the install themselves in the garage...

Lets just say its a very straightforward install but very INVOLVED.

Originally Posted by vader
VRUS...can you give a quick install explaination...how much needs to be torn apart to install this ?