Sponsored by:

Calling all wanna be racers:

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
The canyons here in Malibu are second to none. Its "gods country" as far I have ever seen. There is a road for everyone out here... from ultra tight to fast sweepers.

Like I said though stock ride heights are needed as these roads rise and fall every which way and anything low will just bounce off the road. The site I used to learn about canyon driving here now has a password or I would say go read about the area. Sorry.

SD people will likey enjoy these roads. You could drive for 2-3 hrs and never go on the same road twice.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Eleanor Owner
Ok. I'll try and find something a little closer to you guys. Honestly, I'm searching blind though so can any of our other SoCal members offer a little input on a Newport-Orange County-ish drive?

If you want to take some hard corners out there the section of Mulholland between cornell and malibu canyon is second to none. Very nice for a larger car with power but watch out there are 3 corners that can mix things up. 2 have nice memorials for people having been less than lucky. 1 car flew off and was not found for 2 weeks or more. A guy and his gf....

If you want something tighter and slower I like Latigo or Mulholland from the rock store to Kanan.

The best loop still has to be my old past time of Decker to Mulholland to Malibu canyon, to Piuma to Schuren to Stunt.

*****WARNING*****

I was stopped by the West Hills Sherrif two weeks ago for doing nothing wrong and cited for a list of non moving violations to scare me out of the hills. My friend was driving and saw the car come up behind us at the bottom of piuma (before we took off) and he followed us all the way up the hill for 15 minutes before pulling us over. He knew what we were doing as we were in a car with a cage, no interior 3.5 degrees of negative camber etc. We were just out testing a car before a track day (not going fast at all) but he figured we were easy pickings. We just were warming the car up and making sure it worked ok and he did not like that. They are there very often now. Keep you eyes open.

If you go during the day dont hit me on me when I am out for my morning cycle ride!!!
Old 11-28-2006, 08:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by 03c4s
Jangy, I'm in. E63 may be in the shop this wkend for the renntech and tint will try to change if not will have the P car.
Should we consider something closer to LA or OC. I'm up, even if we just do a drive up the coast and meet w/ the LA crew have lunch?
Haha!! Did you take it to Creative? Let me know if you've committed and if so, what kinda deal you got.

Lets keep it at Palomar for this weekend, especially if you have the E63. I am dying to see how I do against it. I also thing AMG_55 is coming down with his 997s, so it should be a fun day.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
If you want to take some hard corners out there the section of Mulholland between cornell and malibu canyon is second to none. Very nice for a larger car with power but watch out there are 3 corners that can mix things up. 2 have nice memorials for people having been less than lucky. 1 car flew off and was not found for 2 weeks or more. A guy and his gf....

If you want something tighter and slower I like Latigo or Mulholland from the rock store to Kanan.

The best loop still has to be my old past time of Decker to Mulholland to Malibu canyon, to Piuma to Schuren to Stunt.

*****WARNING*****

I was stopped by the West Hills Sherrif two weeks ago for doing nothing wrong and cited for a list of non moving violations to scare me out of the hills. My friend was driving and saw the car come up behind us at the bottom of piuma (before we took off) and he followed us all the way up the hill for 15 minutes before pulling us over. He knew what we were doing as we were in a car with a cage, no interior 3.5 degrees of negative camber etc. We were just out testing a car before a track day (not going fast at all) but he figured we were easy pickings. We just were warming the car up and making sure it worked ok and he did not like that. They are there very often now. Keep you eyes open.

If you go during the day dont hit me on me when I am out for my morning cycle ride!!!

Haha, I hate driving near cyclers. Just don't want to be a part of any accident with them.

Hey Cyn, you know anyone for me to contact to see about renting Willow for a day? I think we could round up enough people here to pay for the big track, no? I really had fun there and it is just wide enough that we can have a bit of passing. I'm sort of scared to just show up on an open track day as many people (like you) have dedicated track cars and may not be as concerned with fenders as I am. Last thing I need is some dude diving under me to take a turn and rubbing my paint off.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by jangy
Haha, I hate driving near cyclers. Just don't want to be a part of any accident with them.

Hey Cyn, you know anyone for me to contact to see about renting Willow for a day? I think we could round up enough people here to pay for the big track, no? I really had fun there and it is just wide enough that we can have a bit of passing. I'm sort of scared to just show up on an open track day as many people (like you) have dedicated track cars and may not be as concerned with fenders as I am. Last thing I need is some dude diving under me to take a turn and rubbing my paint off.
My racing friend and I have played with the idea many times and actually contacted all the people involved to price it out. Its about 5k for a day including the track, corner workers, medical crew, towing crew, food, insurance etc. To make it work you need to keep the price to about 150 a person and that means the break even point is say 33 people. Anything more expensive and people dont show up. I know 3 friends who put on events often and you make money on some and lose on otheres. Finally you have to rent the small track at willow 2x before you can rent the big track. I have gotten around that I think but still never bothered to rent the track as my clubs only cost 140 for a day and you cant beat that value.

Jangy you said before that you were an old track hat! Whats this I dont know about passing at the track???? I always kept scratching my head when you asked about passing at the track but you really have never been to an open track event have you?

At the track all clubs use the point by system in all be the advanced (red) run group. Depending on the club, you either pass on the left or off line and then get back on line. The driver in front points out the window coming onto the straight (or in the preceeding corner) and then the driver in the rear pulls out and makes his/her pass and gets back in line. The driver being passed is asked to lift off a bit and let the car pass (esp when its a viper in front and a miata in the back etc) and then get back on the throttle.

In all my events I have seen 1 crash that involved 2 cars and it had nothing to do with passing and more to do with a person trying to be a hero and another not giving the space needed once a car loses its line.

Most cars in the Yellow and Blue groups are normal street cars and the fast ones have stacks of mods so they dont want to bash their cars up as well. The red group has more race cars but racers are far better drivers and I have never felt scared once in the red group. The red group does use an open passing policy meaning pass where you want and when you want so you MUST watch your mirrors all the time to make sure a radical is not about to dive bomb you into a corner. Most are very safe about it and give you the needed space.

I only drive "street cars" at the track and I leave the track car for my friend to use since he owns it! But it to is just a 325is thats been tricked out over the last 10 years etc. And before you even try to say it... No jangy you can not beat that car. Dont even try!

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 11-28-2006 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
I just hope nobody hurts themself or any innocent people while street racing...
Old 11-28-2006, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Yep thats why I dont even bother with canyons any longer. Its not worth the risks. Life is to valuable!
Old 11-28-2006, 10:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
My racing friend and I have played with the idea many times and actually contacted all the people involved to price it out. Its about 5k for a day including the track, corner workers, medical crew, towing crew, food, insurance etc. To make it work you need to keep the price to about 150 a person and that means the break even point is say 33 people. Anything more expensive and people dont show up. I know 3 friends who put on events often and you make money on some and lose on otheres. Finally you have to rent the small track at willow 2x before you can rent the big track. I have gotten around that I think but still never bothered to rent the track as my clubs only cost 140 for a day and you cant beat that value.

Jangy you said before that you were an old track hat! Whats this I dont know about passing at the track???? I always kept scratching my head when you asked about passing at the track but you really have never been to an open track event have you?

At the track all clubs use the point by system in all be the advanced (red) run group. Depending on the club, you either pass on the left or off line and then get back on line. The driver in front points out the window coming onto the straight (or in the preceeding corner) and then the driver in the rear pulls out and makes his/her pass and gets back in line. The driver being passed is asked to lift off a bit and let the car pass (esp when its a viper in front and a miata in the back etc) and then get back on the throttle.

In all my events I have seen 1 crash that involved 2 cars and it had nothing to do with passing and more to do with a person trying to be a hero and another not giving the space needed once a car loses its line.

Most cars in the Yellow and Blue groups are normal street cars and the fast ones have stacks of mods so they dont want to bash their cars up as well. The red group has more race cars but racers are far better drivers and I have never felt scared once in the red group. The red group does use an open passing policy meaning pass where you want and when you want so you MUST watch your mirrors all the time to make sure a radical is not about to dive bomb you into a corner. Most are very safe about it and give you the needed space.

I only drive "street cars" at the track and I leave the track car for my friend to use since he owns it! But it to is just a 325is thats been tricked out over the last 10 years etc. And before you even try to say it... No jangy you can not beat that car. Dont even try!
I've been on plenty of tracks, but the past 15 years it has always been under the guise of a class (ala Skip Barber) or other sponsorship. I do not and have not been to an open track "event" in a daily driver. The part I am scared of is your line about the guy who doesn't want to avoid a wreck. Been there and done that in a fully track ready 1988 M3 with cage at Sears Point. We can go back and forth on my accomplishments if you'd like, but I'm not sure what it proves or that you would even believe it.
The event I was at this past week had no people working it. There was a truck (safety/tow) that rode by once in a while and we got food, but that was it.
$5000 isn't an issue. I'm not looking to make any money and I don't even mind putting a little extra in for the track.
The small track (Streets of Willow) is "cute", but not going to be something the E will like at all. Agreed that your buddy's 325i could take me on that, but not too sure how he could even compete on the open track. Even if he doesn't have to slow down at all, there are just too many straights and too few tight turns to matter. Anyhoo, anything is possible (even an E kicking butt).
I am also contacting Symbolic to see if they will pull some strings for me, but if you are interested I am down. I'm pretty sure we can get enough people.
I was thinking more like 20 people @ $250 a piece. That is really a bargain for a full day. Heck, we could even have times when we do some drags on the straight section if we get bored.
We've jabbed enough about this (what, 2 years now?). I can't be any more obliging than this to "prove" what my car can do. Bring your Lotus buddy (the exige) who wasn't trying and lets see if HP or agility wins. That simple.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Yep thats why I dont even bother with canyons any longer. Its not worth the risks. Life is to valuable!

I'm starting to agree.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
http://www.lateralg.org/sandiego.htm#1
Old 11-29-2006, 12:19 AM

07 E63,03 c4s,01 tahoe, 00 RL
Haha!! Did you take it to Creative? Let me know if you've committed and if so, what kinda deal you got.

Lets keep it at Palomar for this weekend, especially if you have the E63. I am dying to see how I do against it. I also thing AMG_55 is coming down with his 997s, so it should be a fun day.
Not committed yet, whoever has best price, and as long as they are committed to doing an excellent job.

Palomar it is, what day? Same meeting place I assume.

want to get the resonator removed w/straight pipes? who do you recommend, seem to recall you had someone in north county.
tx
R
Old 11-29-2006, 02:17 AM

07 E63,03 c4s,01 tahoe, 00 RL
25@$200 is very possible, talked to p car friends and they would jump at this price for the day. Let me know, I'll put the word out.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:52 AM

cclass05
palomar is fun but the cops and this crazy people that might do this

"due to the popularity of this road with sports bikes some local area residents have been rumored to set traps on corners, including deliberately spilling hydraulic fluid" WTF

my friend use to live up there and he told me the same thing about the traps lol

Last edited by slammedcclass; 11-29-2006 at 03:12 AM.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
im down for a track @200-250
im sure i can find at least 2 more people.
egxpimp might also be down

im planning on coming to palomar, what day/time?

JANGY,
im going to pm you a web link, check it out
Old 11-29-2006, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list
I'm starting to agree.
I agree with you guys. I never said I street race in the canyons. We just go for a nice drive with corners. Not only are there bikers on those two runs, there is a zillion foot cliff. I am a young pup and I would like to keep it that way.

I changed my plans for this Saturday if you guys are up for something?
It would be cool if you guys could come a little bit outside S.D.

I might be up for a closer track.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Ms_V

I am def down for a track.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by 03c4s
Not committed yet, whoever has best price, and as long as they are committed to doing an excellent job.

Palomar it is, what day? Same meeting place I assume.

want to get the resonator removed w/straight pipes? who do you recommend, seem to recall you had someone in north county.
tx
R
Lets talk before you do anything. Things have "changed" since I told you to go there.

The muffler shop is:

Express Performance Center
2035 Vineyard Avenue
Escondido
760 489 9100
Remind him that he did and AMG before and that Tip "alignment" is important. The cost was about $100 and the owner is very cool. Also, remember to ask for stainless tubes.

Another shop that my racer buddies go to is: I haven't used them, but their reputation is impecible as well.
http://www.edhansonsmuffler.com/
Old 11-29-2006, 11:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Lets go ahead and go to Palomar this weekend. I'll start a new thread to sign up and get the date straight.

We'll continue to pursue a track day for all others as well.