Any pics of Jangys elm set up???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 03:41 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by DBrasco
So does Renntech or Kleeman give the most drop?
RENNTech. ask JAY55 who has the Kleeman. he has seen his side by side with mine with the RENNTech. I get no shop warning and he does, yet mine is lower.

Plus the RENNTech is the only digital one out, so you do not get vaiable heights dependent on temp.

Lastly, it can be modified to be adjustable on the fly with about $100 worth of labor. No brainer rwally, untill the next generation comes out from whomever.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E55
Plus the Renn unit disables and the car reverts to stock settings when you reach highway speeds and the car wants to lower itself.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:13 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 E55
Modified to be adjustable on the fly

Jangy-

I am getting ready to have the ELM installed in my center console and would love to know your knob extension trick. Care to share?

Originally Posted by jangy
RENNTech. ask JAY55 who has the Kleeman. he has seen his side by side with mine with the RENNTech. I get no shop warning and he does, yet mine is lower.

Plus the RENNTech is the only digital one out, so you do not get vaiable heights dependent on temp.

Lastly, it can be modified to be adjustable on the fly with about $100 worth of labor. No brainer rwally, untill the next generation comes out from whomever.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by TR's Toy
Jangy-

I am getting ready to have the ELM installed in my center console and would love to know your knob extension trick. Care to share?

It is simply that. An extension piece of wire that goes through holes drilled in the box and then has the knobs attached at the end. you gorilla glue the post to the original spots. Very easy.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:49 AM

AMGs
Originally Posted by vader
Plus the Renn unit disables and the car reverts to stock settings when you reach highway speeds and the car wants to lower itself.

Not too sure I understand. So the ELM will disable itself and go back to normal suspension specs when driving at highway speeds? It doesn't stay the same height all the time?
Old 12-11-2006, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
That is my understanding of it yes. If this is not correct...hopefully someone will chime in.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
That is also what I was told. I have tried to test it to see how it "feels" and even when dumped, the ride does get "softer" at speed, so maybe??
Old 12-12-2006, 09:58 PM

2006 E55, 2004 545i, 2004 FX 35
RENNtech elm

I am very curious as to the official answer to this jangy.....I am going to have my wife follow me onto the highway and see if it is detectable or maybe snap a picture to measure the distance somehow??...do you ever use the 2 inch riase mode to bring it back to stock height in combination with the sport / comfort suspension settings?
Old 12-12-2006, 10:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Nate55
I am very curious as to the official answer to this jangy.....I am going to have my wife follow me onto the highway and see if it is detectable or maybe snap a picture to measure the distance somehow??...do you ever use the 2 inch riase mode to bring it back to stock height in combination with the sport / comfort suspension settings?
I do use the buttons (sport and raise) all the time and they still do what they did before. I use the rais all the time when I go into an area of town that may have potholes, or sloped drives. Then it turns off as I hit the highway or whatever, so it does work. Also, you can tell a major difference in stiffness even when the ELM is dumped and you go into Sport II.
I was acually in comfort mode during the recent (now infamous) run in the canyons. I noticed it later.

What i can not tell for sure is what happens at 75mph or whatever the revert speed is.

Can anyone verify it?
Old 12-12-2006, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
a)No Renntech ELM doesnt function like the Carlsson ELM. Carlsson ELM adjusts itself base on speed.

b)Renntech ELM also does not adjust the suspension settings (comfort or sport)
Old 12-12-2006, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Jangy I can't confirm it either...Adam does the Renntech revert to stock once the reaches 75 mph ??? I am 99.9% sure I either read this or you told me this...
Old 12-12-2006, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
I think you read it somewhere. Carlsson ELM raises the car up after hitting 75 mph. (1/4 inch) I try to verify with Renntech tomorrow but i am sure it doesnt has speed variable sensor.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by vader
Jangy I can't confirm it either...Adam does the Renntech revert to stock once the reaches 75 mph ??? I am 99.9% sure I either read this or you told me this...
That is exactly what I read as well, and Adam was not the one that started that rumor. LOL. I'll check the RENN website. Be right back.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
What rumor?

Check what toolsivan said on the forum.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
1) For those wondering, how it installs, just check out their user manuals:
http://www.renntechmercedes.com/Show_Sus_Low.html

2) Can the module be located somewhere else? I see no problem with that, except a really skilled technician would have to extend the RennTech supplied instalation harness... and the only acceptable way to touch harnesses in the vehicle is heat-shrink covered clean soldering.

3) The module has three 8-position switches which independently modify the vehicle sensor signals (digitally). Many cars have 3 height sensors, so one can adjust only 3 signals. Because RennTech module works in many models, both ABC and Airtonic (selectable by the fourth 'function' switch), the Rear Height switch controls the Rear axle: if the vehicle has two sensors on the rear, ONE switch adjust both rear signals together. The proper way of installing ANY lowering module is to make sure the car is dealer leveled first. This can often be skipped if the car is about level, which one can almost see visually (it is not uncommon to have small differences between left and right side, but those can be re-adjusted with the RennTech module as well). The exact amount of lowering for each switch is stored in a digital table in the RennTech lowering module, and therefore it can have various values, even bigger/smaller then shipped. Problem here is of course that higher values then programmed into the module as released are dangerous for the vehicle. Just check out your car with the lowest setting (all switches at position 0) - on my CLS the car was almost SITTING on the tires and it was simply too much. I enjoyed the fron wheels raised to switch position 3 (middle value) and rear raised even more to switch position 5. For some reasons I feel the CLS rear is looking better a bit heigher than front. The good thing is - if you disagree with me, just rotate the switches to another position.

Check at RennTech, but they mentioned that a skilled installer can adjust the rear differences by adjusting the front sides. RennTech has also a scale table, where they adjust the vehicle by balancing the weight of the vehicle at each wheel - better yet, they can do it with a driver sitting inside!).

3) The vehicle is intelligent from the factory. There are good reasons why the height changes with the speed, I would trust their judgement in doing so. RennTech module doesn't interfere with control unit speed sensing, so the stage 1 and 2 will remain changing with the speed.

4) The control from the steering wheel is not included, but it is technically possible. Both the steering buttons and the instrument cluster are on the same CAN bus and RennTech module is fully digital (4 microprocessors). The problem among other things is that each Mercedes has DIFFERENT instrument cluster and would require different software in the module, probably drastically increasing the price of the module.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by AdamG@EuroElites
a)No Renntech ELM doesnt function like the Carlsson ELM. Carlsson ELM adjusts itself base on speed.

b)Renntech ELM also does not adjust the suspension settings (comfort or sport)

Can you explain what you mean by b)? I'm confused now. Am I correct in assuming that it does NOT over ride the sport vs comfort settings? I am almost positive I can still feel a difference in the settings even with the car dumped.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Jangy, as far i know of, the ELM doesnt program the suspension to become more stiff or soft. (maintains the factory suspension setting of sport/comfort)

Hmm.......??? Maybe it does? I will double check tomorrow.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
What rumor?

Check what toolsivan said on the forum.

I was just messing with you. LOL!!
Old 12-13-2006, 12:18 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Jangy, as far i know of, the ELM doesnt program the suspension to become more stiff or soft. (maintains the factory suspension setting of sport/comfort)

Hmm.......??? Maybe it does? I will double check tomorrow.
No, that sounds right. I do use the sport/comfort to control stiffness and the ELM to control height. I was saying that with the ELM setting at "0" (fully dumped), I could feel a big difference in stiffness between Sport and Comfort. That is actually a good thing as it lets me tune the ride by using the ELM AND the factory buttons. It makes for many possible combinations.