Sponsored by:

E63 question.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 SLS AMG
E63 question.....

Have you guys noticed that the brakes on this thing are very hard to modulate smoothly? As you are slowing down, it is gearing down and so constant pressure on the brakes results in increasing grab and more abruptness in stopping. This has resulted in me trying to pump the brakes for smooth stops or applying varying degrees of pressure to haul it down. Anyone else have the same problem? For some reason this annoys me greatly. A car this smooth should at least be able to come to a stop smoothly!!!! Let me know, and also how you guys are dealing with it.

E55 guys with the SBC brakes, does this sound familiar? What have you guys done?

Car only has 2000 miles, will this become less of an issue as time goes by?

Thanks guys.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
You won't like my answer. I don't modulate. i am basically off the brakes, or fully on. i do tap in the corners, rather than hold (as some go cart racer pointed out). You have to keep in mind that although the drive by wire portion is removed on your system, the computer modulated portion has not. The computer learns as it goes, depending on body roll, etc.

Let's say you try to stop in a straight line. As the car dives, the modulator will put more brake grip on the rears and less on the front in an effort to distribute weight. i actually love this feature.

In the truns, it is even more involved, as the modulator is constantly shifting from all 4 corners in an attempt to follow the track that it thinks you want. This means trying to detect and counter momentum.

The brakes take time get used to. This is very true. Don't expect them to perform as traditional ones. But, I find that I like them better in the end, given I am driving a tank.

Hope some of this makes sense.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
I have an e55 and the brakes are amazing. The best analogy is to an electronic keyboard that's "velocity sensitive" -- it reacts to the speed/hardness of the pedal depression like a piano key under a finger, but unlike a piano (or mechanical brake pedal), the velocity translation is done in software. Best brakes I've ever had in a car, notwithstanding the mortal dread of the brake computer ever failing on me...
Old 12-13-2006, 11:17 AM
Almost a Member!

E63
I have the same problem, and I initially thought it just very sensitive brakes.
I only have 540 miles on mine and I just marked it up to just getting used to AMG brakes. I almost got rear ended last week because of it.
When I take it in for it's 1k check up, I will discuss it with them, and the squeal noise they make too. That is annoying as hell.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:20 PM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
'08 CL65
I haven't experienced any of the issues that you speak of.........yet. I have 2200 on the clock, maybe I got lucky.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
The brakes are sensitive, but you will get used to them and the sensitivity of the brakes will go down and be more natural. Im used to it since my CLS has the same brakes except for SBC.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:57 PM
Ben

E63
They feel good, actually. They are much better than my previous W210 E55 brakes. The E63's have much better bite.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:48 PM

07 E63,03 c4s,01 tahoe, 00 RL
Does not affect me, I just apply constant pressure on the pedal and lift off as I slow down. Kind of like stepping on a tennis ball.

If this make absolutely any sense?