Paranoid or cautious, recon on my 63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 07:08 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63
Paranoid or cautious, recon on my 63

I was wondering if any one of you has had their ride stolen. I have not yet, but it does not always happen to the guy next door.
The people that deliver bottled water to our business came by today with a trainee riding shot gun. I saw the trainee dude get out of the truck with his camera phone, run up within three feet of my license plate and take a picture, get in the truck, look at it and got out and took another one, only closer. He was not interested in the car, just the plate.
Maybe I am getting paranoid in my old age, but I can't help but think this is a gray area. I could not get outside to have a word with him, because they took off.
I know that is why you have insurance, but who wants to go through that!
Just wondering what any of you think.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by bahb
I was wondering if any one of you has had their ride stolen. I have not yet, but it does not always happen to the guy next door.
The people that deliver bottled water to our business came by today with a trainee riding shot gun. I saw the trainee dude get out of the truck with his camera phone, run up within three feet of my license plate and take a picture, get in the truck, look at it and got out and took another one, only closer. He was not interested in the car, just the plate.
Maybe I am getting paranoid in my old age, but I can't help but think this is a gray area. I could not get outside to have a word with him, because they took off.
I know that is why you have insurance, but who wants to go through that!
Just wondering what any of you think.

you have personalized tags? could he have been interested in the rear differences between it and the E55? if it is just the regular tag and that is what he was interested in, then WOAH!! Look out.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
dont worrie about it bro. he might of had a bet with a friend about e-63s or something. if someone wants your car bad enough they will get. so dont stress over it.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I doubt they will be stealing your car. If they really want it they'll be coming with a tow truck. Only way i can think of stealing a modern day Benz.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
maybe he's got a way of getting your address, etc. from the plate number; he could figure anyone with that car is probably loaded, so i'd make sure the home security system is in good working order. seeing someone do as you described would really freak me out, but it wouldn't be the car i was worried about - clearly he knows where to find it.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:54 PM
dsc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
Originally Posted by vixapphire
maybe he's got a way of getting your address, etc. from the plate number; he could figure anyone with that car is probably loaded, so i'd make sure the home security system is in good working order. seeing someone do as you described would really freak me out, but it wouldn't be the car i was worried about - clearly he knows where to find it.

Could be true. A freind of mine ask me to give her Friend a job doing some work in my house. I wanted to help the fellow out so I let him do painting, etc. I tend to be very trusting. He did work in my garage, loved the car. The last day of his work he brought his mother to help him gather his stuff and sure enough she had an "accident" in my house. I am being sued now for a lot of "pain and suffering" and missed work of a projected 6 months to a year. I now find out this is a recurring thing with them but my insurance will settle out of court anyway. My insurance company said the painter guy probably said "Cha-Ching" when he saw my car. I hate to be cynical but you have to be careful. There are plenty of people out there who would rather take what you have than work for it.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:11 PM

Bentley Flying Spur, CL550
Originally Posted by dsc
Could be true. A freind of mine ask me to give her Friend a job doing some work in my house. I wanted to help the fellow out so I let him do painting, etc. I tend to be very trusting. He did work in my garage, loved the car. The last day of his work he brought his mother to help him gather his stuff and sure enough she had an "accident" in my house. I am being sued now for a lot of "pain and suffering" and missed work of a projected 6 months to a year. I now find out this is a recurring thing with them but my insurance will settle out of court anyway. My insurance company said the painter guy probably said "Cha-Ching" when he saw my car. I hate to be cynical but you have to be careful. There are plenty of people out there who would rather take what you have than work for it.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:22 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by sdsilverm3
I doubt they will be stealing your car. If they really want it they'll be coming with a tow truck. Only way i can think of stealing a modern day Benz.

That happened to me about 3 years ago.

3 guys with a flatbed and uniforms (according to the neighbors) helped themselves to my racecar. Nobody thought twice about it, as they looked the part.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by dsc
I have a cousin that could talk to your friend's friend and find out if it is true. What was the grounds of the suit. you never hired the mom, so did you have some hazards that should have been foreseen?
Old 12-15-2006, 10:59 PM

Merce-rati
Originally Posted by dsc
thats messed up, people always "accidently" trip and fall at one of our stations, they never get **** though since everything is monitored on camera and everytime its just some low life con artist
Old 12-15-2006, 11:20 PM
Nij

2005 Black/Black E55
The dealer told me all our cars have tracking systems on it, so even if someone did steal it we could find it in no time.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:53 PM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Originally Posted by Nij
The dealer told me all our cars have tracking systems on it, so even if someone did steal it we could find it in no time.
I wouldnt want it back. Ive had a car stolen, thrashed, wrecked, and then i had to take it back, 23k in damage later. That was my GS400, and i loved that thing to death from when I bought it in 98 til that happened. Then for 2 years, I was beyond miserable. Got rid of it, despite not having issues just because of the emotional ties, got into the beast, and now have had issues for close to 2 years of ownership. I sometimes regret the decision, but the GS never felt the same.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:42 AM

2009 SL63 AMG, sliver
Originally Posted by dsc
This sounds a lot like an urban legend. In order for this to work in real life they have to prove negligence.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:59 AM
dsc

2004 E55
In retrospect I should have paid attention to caution. We had finished up with the work the guy was doing. All he needed to do was get his tools. He begged repeatedly to finish up some wall washing that I said he didn't have to do. The guy had his mother help him with this without our permission. She was washing a wall where he had placed a sheet on the floor over an open floor vent. We we not home at the time, we had to step out for a little. We trusted them because of the friend we had in common and their long time relationship. The mother placed the step stool near the vent and the foot of the stool slipped into the vent. She fell and broke her arm in three places. We did not hire her nor approve her to do anything in our house except sit and wait for her son. We came home to the fire department and an ambulance at our house. The story of the accident is theirs. There were no witnesses. They said we provided the sheets and put them down over the vent. All a lie. He brought the sheets and put them down and even took them with him when he left.

We went to the hospital with them and the son said three times over (before any diagnosis) that she won't be able to work even though she had a desk job. Later that night they wanted our insurance info saying they were not going to sue. A week later their Lawyer called us saying we were being sued.

Our insurance company is handling the whole thing. This isn't Urban Legend, this is happening to me right now! Our insurance says the mother will get something even though they don't see any negligence on our part. We are told that her Doctor said she couldn't work for six months and if after that time she needed surgery she wouldn't be able to work for much longer than that.

Sometimes life isn't fair but I would rather live an honest life then have to get money that way. I do business where I work to give as much to my customers as possible.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dsc
In retrospect I should have paid attention to caution. We had finished up with the work the guy was doing. All he needed to do was get his tools. He begged repeatedly to finish up some wall washing that I said he didn't have to do. The guy had his mother help him with this without our permission. She was washing a wall where he had placed a sheet on the floor over an open floor vent. We we not home at the time, we had to step out for a little. We trusted them because of the friend we had in common and their long time relationship. The mother placed the step stool near the vent and the foot of the stool slipped into the vent. She fell and broke her arm in three places. We did not hire her nor approve her to do anything in our house except sit and wait for her son. We came home to the fire department and an ambulance at our house. The story of the accident is theirs. There were no witnesses. They said we provided the sheets and put them down over the vent. All a lie. He brought the sheets and put them down and even took them with him when he left.

We went to the hospital with them and the son said three times over (before any diagnosis) that she won't be able to work even though she had a desk job. Later that night they wanted our insurance info saying they were not going to sue. A week later their Lawyer called us saying we were being sued.

Our insurance company is handling the whole thing. This isn't Urban Legend, this is happening to me right now! Our insurance says the mother will get something even though they don't see any negligence on our part. We are told that her Doctor said she couldn't work for six months and if after that time she needed surgery she wouldn't be able to work for much longer than that.

Sometimes life isn't fair but I would rather live an honest life then have to get money that way. I do business where I work to give as much to my customers as possible.
Thats a terrible situation, I'm sorry. I hope everything works out for you ok.

Back to the original question, if I were you man, I'd be pretty curious. Why do we all (well, except for me) blur our plate #'s when we post pics of our rides on the forums? Well, people can get a lot of info from that if they have the right sources. Sure, he already knows where you live, what more does he want to know... I say next time they're out there walk outside with a baseball bat slung over your shoulder and ask "Can I help you?"
Old 12-16-2006, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Eleanor Owner

Back to the original question, if I were you man, I'd be pretty curious. Why do we all (well, except for me) blur our plate #'s when we post pics of our rides on the forums? Well, people can get a lot of info from that if they have the right sources. Sure, he already knows where you live, what more does he want to know... I say next time they're out there walk outside with a baseball bat slung over your shoulder and ask "Can I help you?"
Why not do a little preventative maintenance of your own, just for peace of mind? Since he worked for your bottled water delivery company, call them and tell them what happened, and ask to speak to the guy who took the pictures.
I've often found that once thieves (potential thieves in this case) know someone is watching, they tend to move on to someone else's stuff. At least it will give you some peace of mind. Even if his picture taking was completely innocent, it's worth checking out.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by dsc

ACK!

Nobody ever takes responsibility for their actions. It has to be someone else's fault, because everyone's perfect.

On a side note, it would be a shame if they got into an automobile accident. What would be the odds that your rental car (with full insurance) would strike THEM, out of all the people in the city?

Remember- full insurance.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Eleanor Owner

Yeah, I've started blurring my plates out as well, even though I have two nasty attack dogs and house alarm!!
Attached Thumbnails Paranoid or cautious, recon on my 63-11112001-2-.jpg  
Old 12-16-2006, 11:19 AM
Almost a Member!

07 E63 AMG
Wow thats not so cool. If I saw that too, it would make me cerious of to what is going on! I do also worry about getting my car stole or even a dent in it! but its just a car too and it can be fixed!!!
Old 12-16-2006, 01:58 PM
dsc

2004 E55
Originally Posted by slk55lvr
Why not do a little preventative maintenance of your own, just for peace of mind? Since he worked for your bottled water delivery company, call them and tell them what happened, and ask to speak to the guy who took the pictures.
I've often found that once thieves (potential thieves in this case) know someone is watching, they tend to move on to someone else's stuff. At least it will give you some peace of mind. Even if his picture taking was completely innocent, it's worth checking out.
I totally agree, call the company and express your concern. It's probably not the behavior they want their employees to portray.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:00 PM
dsc

2004 E55
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
ACK!

Nobody ever takes responsibility for their actions. It has to be someone else's fault, because everyone's perfect.

On a side note, it would be a shame if they got into an automobile accident. What would be the odds that your rental car (with full insurance) would strike THEM, out of all the people in the city?

Remember- full insurance.
AMEN, now that's a fellow Chicagoan talking!
Old 12-17-2006, 08:23 AM
Almost a Member!

E63
I do have a vanity plate. First one, but in the grand scheme of things, it probably does not matter. Like some one said, if they want it they will get it. It would really tork me if they waited until I get my eisenhaus installed and then hauled *** with it.
You all bring up good points and ideas to consider, but I do agree that I should call the manager at the place and voice my concern asap.
It is too bad that you have to watch your six, just because you have a decent ride. Life is what it is, huh!
Thanks for all the good feedback. I will let you know how it works out.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:40 AM

Merce-rati
Originally Posted by jangy
Yeah, I've started blurring my plates out as well, even though I have two nasty attack dogs and house alarm!!
jangy, the image of those frightening dogs will haunt my dreams for the rest of my life
Old 12-17-2006, 12:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by eLTURCOamg
jangy, the image of those frightening dogs will haunt my dreams for the rest of my life

Hehe!! That's the bite behind my bark.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:38 PM

CLS55
Originally Posted by bahb
I do have a vanity plate. First one, but in the grand scheme of things, it probably does not matter. Like some one said, if they want it they will get it. It would really tork me if they waited until I get my eisenhaus installed and then hauled *** with it.
You all bring up good points and ideas to consider, but I do agree that I should call the manager at the place and voice my concern asap.
It is too bad that you have to watch your six, just because you have a decent ride. Life is what it is, huh!
Thanks for all the good feedback. I will let you know how it works out.
You may have just solved this mystery. What does your plate say?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Paranoid or cautious, recon on my 63