Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resonator Gone!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 05:35 PM
PDC

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 SL65 ///AMG - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: 2005 E55; 2002 ML55; 2001 CLK55; 1992 BMW 850i; 1991 M5
Resonator Gone!!!

Just got back from ye-olde muffler shoppe where I had an elective "resonator bypass surgery" performed. I had planned on just using straight pipes, but my tech looked through the resonator and determined that it has an open chamber between the pipes and definitely crosses the exhaust flow. So, just to maintian that feature, he welded a very smart looking "H" connector between the two straight pipes at the back end, just before they link up to the rear muffler sections. (Sorry - totally spaced my digital camera this morning). Sound??? Really not that much different than with the resonator, which is nice - I didn't want this thing to sound obnoxious. But there is a very subtle and very welcome increase in "ballz" to the exhaust note - especially when coasting down in 3rd gear with your foot off the accelerator. Just a touch of back-rap burble that definitely ain't "stock" for those paying attention. No, I can't tell any difference on the "butt-dyno" as I doubt this helped perfromance at all. But I can assure you that I got more "smiles" per gallon on the way to the office this afternoon!!!

BTW: Adam at Euroelites told me that RennTech is presently working on a new and improved Stage I pulley which is larger than the current model - closer to the ASP unit. It requires a different ECU tweak and will provide more boost and more oomph, but they will apparently only sell it in conjunction with their new IC pump and heat exchanger kit. Sounds good to me as heat build up is about the only downside to the bigger ASP pulley that I can tell. I had already saved my pennies and dimes for the IC kit from Adam, so now I am holding off for the Full-Meal-Deal. Will keep everyone posted.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 EuroElites E55
nice bro just wait untill you do stage 1 it will be even louder. adam hasnt mentioned the new pully to me yet (*******) but i did already get the I/C upgrade. and doin supersprint next week.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:31 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 E55
Dibs on the first sound test ride on your SS

Tony may not have given you a ride in my sled, but I definitely want to hear yours! When is the install date?
Old 01-03-2007, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
The new Stage 1 offered by Renntech is not yet available and it's only sold in conjuction with the new IC pump upgrade. (Bear in mind, its going to be more than the current Stage 1)

For EuroElites clients with Renntech Stage 1 + ic pump upgrade, EuroElites will discuss with Renntech on how we can upgrade the pulley to the new bigger diameter pulley.

Rockets' car will undergo surgery 2 weeks from now. He will be installing the SS system.

Last edited by AdamG@NorCal; 01-03-2007 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
2 weeks your killin me bro what about 2 days?hehe.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Haha, its being airfreighted from Italy!!!!!!
Old 01-03-2007, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
hey adam can you get brembo kits at a good price?
Old 01-04-2007, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
I guess the improved pulley might be something worth waiting for! Maybe its a good thing the group buy didnt go through
Old 01-04-2007, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Cool

Paul,

Is it possible to get a sound clip for your car??
Old 01-04-2007, 12:46 AM

///E63V10 ///F80CS ///Can-Am X3 XRS
Originally Posted by PDC
Just got back from ye-olde muffler shoppe where I had an elective "resonator bypass surgery" performed. I had planned on just using straight pipes, but my tech looked through the resonator and determined that it has an open chamber between the pipes and definitely crosses the exhaust flow. So, just to maintian that feature, he welded a very smart looking "H" connector between the two straight pipes at the back end, just before they link up to the rear muffler sections. (Sorry - totally spaced my digital camera this morning). Sound??? Really not that much different than with the resonator, which is nice - I didn't want this thing to sound obnoxious. But there is a very subtle and very welcome increase in "ballz" to the exhaust note - especially when coasting down in 3rd gear with your foot off the accelerator. Just a touch of back-rap burble that definitely ain't "stock" for those paying attention. No, I can't tell any difference on the "butt-dyno" as I doubt this helped perfromance at all. But I can assure you that I got more "smiles" per gallon on the way to the office this afternoon!!!

BTW: Adam at Euroelites told me that RennTech is presently working on a new and improved Stage I pulley which is larger than the current model - closer to the ASP unit. It requires a different ECU tweak and will provide more boost and more oomph, but they will apparently only sell it in conjunction with their new IC pump and heat exchanger kit. Sounds good to me as heat build up is about the only downside to the bigger ASP pulley that I can tell. I had already saved my pennies and dimes for the IC kit from Adam, so now I am holding off for the Full-Meal-Deal. Will keep everyone posted.
Thanks for the info. We just discussed about the resonator topic awhile ago at a mini SD crew gathering. Jangy stated it sounds really sweet when it downshifts or letting go of the gas. 2K6E55 and myself are going in for surgery as well this Friday.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Jay, make sure you post some clips too! Thank you!
Old 01-04-2007, 12:54 AM

///E63V10 ///F80CS ///Can-Am X3 XRS
Originally Posted by AdamG@EuroElites
Jay, make sure you post some clips too! Thank you!
Roger that, I'll post it in HD for you since Jeff 2k6e55 just got a pimped out sony camcorder
Old 01-04-2007, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Thank you very much Sir!
Old 01-04-2007, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by PDC
Just a touch of back-rap burble that definitely ain't "stock" for those paying attention.
That's almost lyrical.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:12 AM
PDC

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 SL65 ///AMG - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: 2005 E55; 2002 ML55; 2001 CLK55; 1992 BMW 850i; 1991 M5
Stone Age AMGr

Duh heya, Fred -- Barny Rubble Here. What in the land of pteradactles is a "sound clip"?? Keep in mind, I'm the guy who just bough my first digital camera a week ago for Christmas! I think it has a short "video" feature that just might include sound. I will check it out this weekend and see if I can post a clip. The car is very mellow - as in I probably won't even need to come up with an explanation for the wifey on this one. It's a difference us gearheads would identify and appreciate, but it sure ain't like driving a 454 Chevelle with "Cherry Bomb" glass paks (anybody remember them from back in the day?) I cant wait to get the go ahead from Adam for the new RennTech Stage I and IC upgrade. I am currently running Chiromikey's spare Kleemann pulley with the stock ECU and the car is a BRUTE. Cool that IC down, add a bigger pulley and Bob Brady's computer magic along with a VRUS CF airbox and I will probably need a pilot's license.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Almost a Member!

2006 E55
Hilarious

I read your whole piece with Barney's brogue playing in my head. Thanks for the flash-back.

Originally Posted by PDC
Duh heya, Fred -- Barny Rubble Here. What in the land of pteradactles is a "sound clip"?? Keep in mind, I'm the guy who just bough my first digital camera a week ago for Christmas! I think it has a short "video" feature that just might include sound. I will check it out this weekend and see if I can post a clip. The car is very mellow - as in I probably won't even need to come up with an explanation for the wifey on this one. It's a difference us gearheads would identify and appreciate, but it sure ain't like driving a 454 Chevelle with "Cherry Bomb" glass paks (anybody remember them from back in the day?) I cant wait to get the go ahead from Adam for the new RennTech Stage I and IC upgrade. I am currently running Chiromikey's spare Kleemann pulley with the stock ECU and the car is a BRUTE. Cool that IC down, add a bigger pulley and Bob Brady's computer magic along with a VRUS CF airbox and I will probably need a pilot's license.