W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does new genuine AMG rear quarter panel come with pre-rolled fender?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 03:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55
Does new genuine AMG rear quarter panel come with pre-rolled fender?

Does new (replacement) genuine AMG rear quarter panel come with pre-rolled fender when a body shop orders it thru AMG/Mercedes? Can anyone confirm it for certain.

I searched the forums, and it appears that new cars do come with pre-rolled fenders
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...+fender+rolled

but do replacement parts for AMG cars come pre-rolled?

Reason is that the E55 has rubbing issues on the right rear side with 20" HRE rims whereas the left rear side has no problem. And I'm wondering if they just went cheap and ordered an E-class non-AMG rear quarter panel and slapped it on there -- does it fit? (I was told that it does). You can definitely feel the difference between the rolled fender on the left side and the non-rolled on the right side. At the time, the car was on stock rims, so even with a lowered car (via MBenzNL Stardiagnose method), there was no rubbing. But after changing to the 20" rims and 285/25/20 tires in rear it rubs a lot on the right rear side.

Appreciated in advance for insights on this issue
Old 01-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
You can go rub your hand on it and see. It is either the usual sharp lip, or the AMG rolled over.

Also, keep in mind that you will note differences between the sides depending on how tight your tolerances are.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:34 AM

2005 E55
Yeah good point, looks like I missed communicating that I did rub my hand on the fenders and felt the difference between the right side (non-rolled) that was replaced rear quarter panel vs. the left side (came with the car and rolled from the factory).. and hence I have the question whether the replacement AMG rear quarter panel comes pre-rolled fender, or did the bodyshop just install a regular E part and called it a day.

Originally Posted by koreveine
You can definitely feel the difference between the rolled fender on the left side and the non-rolled on the right side.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
I would guess there will be no rolled quarter panel replacement. In my years of playing with U.S. stuff...most of the time the replacement will cover more models to reduce the amount of part numbers and inventory. It shouldn't be too hard to roll the new one, even if its on the car ?
Old 01-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Almost a Member!

Sorry, newbie question... how does a rolled fender looks like in comparison to non rolled ones???
Old 01-26-2007, 12:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by vader
I would guess there will be no rolled quarter panel replacement. In my years of playing with U.S. stuff...most of the time the replacement will cover more models to reduce the amount of part numbers and inventory. It shouldn't be too hard to roll the new one, even if its on the car ?
I would not let that go. I see it as an issue. rolling, especially to that degree is no small potatoe shaving job.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:44 AM

2005 E55
Looks normal from the exterior side, but if you use your hand to feel under the fender and the inside, the non-rolled feels thicker than the rolled side. It's difficult to take a picture since u have to take the rims off and prolly use a lift to bring the car up to an even level.

Originally Posted by mamamiakeroppi
Sorry, newbie question... how does a rolled fender looks like in comparison to non rolled ones???
Old 01-27-2007, 04:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Originally Posted by korveine
Yeah good point, looks like I missed communicating that I did rub my hand on the fenders and felt the difference between the right side (non-rolled) that was replaced rear quarter panel vs. the left side (came with the car and rolled from the factory).. and hence I have the question whether the replacement AMG rear quarter panel comes pre-rolled fender, or did the bodyshop just install a regular E part and called it a day.
Why don't you go back to the bodyshop and tell them to roll the fenders? They should have done that before installing and painting it. It's rather easy to do off the car with a nylon hammer. You can roll the fenders on the car with a fender roller.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:59 AM

2005 E55
Yup good advice, and they actually offered to roll the fender. But like Jangy said, the rolling to that degree may not be a small job and there may be issues with how tight the tolerance is. They might not roll it "perfect" like it came off the factory -- in fact, the first place the bodyshop originally referred me to was frank and said that they can roll it to alleviate most of the rubbing problem, but cannot guarantee they can eliminate it to the degree of the rolled fender from the factory. And plus I just wanted to know if there was a difference between the AMG part (if such exists) and non-AMG part, and whether they were did it as a cost-savings measure... (but sounds like, as was said, there probably isn't an AMG specific one in order to cover more models...)

But yeah, I do have an appt with the bodyshop next week to try rolling it to see if the problem goes away. And I hope it won't resurface again when I install the Renntech digital ELM to lower the car some more.

Originally Posted by pshek
Why don't you go back to the bodyshop and tell them to roll the fenders? They should have done that before installing and painting it. It's rather easy to do off the car with a nylon hammer. You can roll the fenders on the car with a fender roller.

Last edited by korveine; 01-27-2007 at 06:06 AM.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:05 AM

2005 E55
Adam @ EuroElites just let me know that the genuine part doesn't come pre-rolled so that settles it. So I'll just have them roll it and should be all-good.

Thanks again everyone for the advice!