Expat assignment?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
Expat assignment?

My wife is possibly coming up on an opportunity for her company to send her on an expat assignment for 2 years and I am all for it so my question to all of you is would you sell "the beast" or just keep it here? My inlaws already told us they have the space to store my baby and will start it up bi weekly and cruise it around the block and such to keep everything lubed.

If she gets the job which seems like almost a done deal just wanted your opinions. The Denali will be going away for sure, the Harley may be coming with me, and the C class will be kept here as well.

Also, does anyone know of an agency that deals with executive leases? I am thinking of possibly getting our home set up with an exec leasing group to rent out our place while we go.

Would be a gig in London. I have been looking for myself and seems like I would be able to land a consulting gig once we arrive especially since her company would sponsor me for work authorization.

thanks
mike
Old 01-25-2007, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Generally speaking you'd be better off financially if you sell the car when you leave and buy another car when you return. The reason is, you'll avoid two years of depreciation on the car and generate two years of interest/investment income on the cash.

Originally Posted by baldmike73
My wife is possibly coming up on an opportunity for her company to send her on an expat assignment for 2 years and I am all for it so my question to all of you is would you sell "the beast" or just keep it here? My inlaws already told us they have the space to store my baby and will start it up bi weekly and cruise it around the block and such to keep everything lubed.

If she gets the job which seems like almost a done deal just wanted your opinions. The Denali will be going away for sure, the Harley may be coming with me, and the C class will be kept here as well.

Also, does anyone know of an agency that deals with executive leases? I am thinking of possibly getting our home set up with an exec leasing group to rent out our place while we go.

Would be a gig in London. I have been looking for myself and seems like I would be able to land a consulting gig once we arrive especially since her company would sponsor me for work authorization.

thanks
mike

Last edited by jmf003; 01-25-2007 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Omitted a word
Old 01-25-2007, 02:36 PM
dsc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
If there is no financial consideration, judge your passion for the car. Sometimes it's not about the money. Me, I tend to keep the cars I have passion for. I will keep my E55 but am looking at my next car. If you love it, keep it, unless it burdens you in any way.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
Originally Posted by dsc
If there is no financial consideration, judge your passion for the car. Sometimes it's not about the money. Me, I tend to keep the cars I have passion for. I will keep my E55 but am looking at my next car. If you love it, keep it, unless it burdens you in any way.
DSC,

I will probably keep it as I love the car. Its not about the money as I owe barely anything on the car. Its more that i just grin everytime i see the car and everytime i get into it. I bought the extended warrranty for a reason was my thinking!

thanks for the input. I am hoping for a smart car for the transportation they will be providing!
Old 01-25-2007, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
I've got enough of a libertarian bent that if you want to keep the car I think you should keep it and to heck with what anyone else thinks.

That said, if you're looking for food for thought my question would be do you love the model of car or do you love the specific vehicle? If it's the model, you can always get another one so why leave the current one gathering dust in a garage? If it's the specific vehicle, well, there's only one of them.

The Smart cars are a lot of fun but if it were me, I'd go for a Mini instead. Several years back my wife and I rented a Mini and took a driving/hiking trip through the Cotswolds. It was one of our best trips ever.

Either way, good luck to you! It should be a great time!

DSC,

I will probably keep it as I love the car. Its not about the money as I owe barely anything on the car. Its more that i just grin everytime i see the car and everytime i get into it. I bought the extended warrranty for a reason was my thinking!

thanks for the input. I am hoping for a smart car for the transportation they will be providing!
Old 01-25-2007, 06:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55
Sell the car, stash the cash, buy an '06 when you come back.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:02 PM
dsc

2004 E55
DSC,

I had a Nissan I totally reworked. Got tons of compliments. I kept it tens years before the Chicago salty winters ate it. When I would go on vacation for a week without it, I couldn't wait to get back in the seat. My wife said I was like a little boy with his beloved toy. Friends were envious that I could still feel the way about a ten year old car as if it were the first day I got it.

It takes me about 1 to 2 years to get a car the way I want it. I don't wish to get rid of it after that. I have had cars I got rid after a year because they weren't "me". That kind of car turns into a financial decision in my case.

It's all about what a car means to you. My E55 puts a huge dumb grin on my face and feels like an old friend that’s saying “let’s play”. My wife complains that the money I have spent on mods could have easily bought her a new SUV, but that's OK, she can keep driving the 74 Chevy Vega. If you push it fast enough it still goes!
Old 01-25-2007, 10:13 PM

2013 E63 AMG
Sell it and when you come back there can be a E63 in your garage!!! Remember everyone drives cars differently so the inlaws may have a fender bender and then you will sell it anyway. Don't worry about the money and have fun in London.