Renntech or Kleemann

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Renntech or Kleemann

Sorry to reiterate a topic that is probably older than I am, but which company in forum members' opinion makes a faster performing car? Although Kleemann is highlight toughted on this website, I believe for those cars that have only an ECU and Pulley upgrade, Renntech has the quickest times (ala SGC, and Fikse). Please let me know if this isn't the case as I am trying to get to the bottom of this. I am not as concerned with the K2 cars as I dont think anyone would argue that the Kleemann headers are simply monsterous and if you are ok losing your primary cats that is the way to go. I am trying to determine if Kleemann simply does outperform Renntech on the track because if that is the case, I might simply consider starting from scratch and going to Kleemann. My alternative would be to lose my primary cats and see the difference in hp/tq and 1/4 mile times.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Received 515 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
MB Steve,

Pour yourself a glass of Ketel One and take a deep breath.

Why in the world would you ever consider removing your Renntech parts? You went with a great tuner and I'm sure in a side by side comparison you would find only minor differences between your car and a comparably equipped Kleemann or EVO car.

I think, as you have stated, the biggest difference can be found in the headers. I believe that this modification is what accounts for the slight 1/4 mile advantage a K2+ car may have.

I know you remember this awesome and extremely informative thread when "The Grump" was at his best.
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...hlight=Headers

My suggestion:
1) Suck down at least three Ketel One's
2)Thank God!!! that you are blessed enough to even worry about something like this.
3) Add enough Renntech mods to polish-off Kleemann, Evo or any other tuner car that may challenge your beast.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
I think a lot of the differences between tuners can be related to the ecu programming. Every car can react a bit differently to mods, and sometimes a preset program for the ECU will not extract all the power the car could be making. Some tuners could be more conservative than others as well to protect the motor.

I remember reading a while back about a CLS55 that was tuned in the Tampa area. He said the tuner was able to really adjust some parameters to give him a lot more power than the general program from whatever tuner the products came from... Since I'm in RENNtech's immediate area, I had my car in their shop when their programmer from Germany was in town. I have no idea what was done programming wise, but I do know the car picked up 40+hp while I watched with just modifying the ecu programming and back to back dyno runs.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by Fikse
I think a lot of the differences between tuners can be related to the ecu programming. Every car can react a bit differently to mods, and sometimes a preset program for the ECU will not extract all the power the car could be making. Some tuners could be more conservative than others as well to protect the motor.

I remember reading a while back about a CLS55 that was tuned in the Tampa area. He said the tuner was able to really adjust some parameters to give him a lot more power than the general program from whatever tuner the products came from... Since I'm in RENNtech's immediate area, I had my car in their shop when their programmer from Germany was in town. I have no idea what was done programming wise, but I do know the car picked up 40+hp while I watched with just modifying the ecu programming and back to back dyno runs.

I agree that the ECU tuning is key. It has to match the conditions of use.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05E55
Originally Posted by Rock
MB Steve,

Pour yourself a glass of Ketel One and take a deep breath.

My suggestion:
1) Suck down at least three Ketel One's
2)Thank God!!! that you are blessed enough to even worry about something like this.
3) Add enough Renntech mods to polish-off Kleemann, Evo or any other tuner car that may challenge your beast.

Glad you didn't say Grey Goose!

Ketel One's all around!
Old 01-29-2007, 01:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Thanks guys!! I think the key is probably to send my car to Renntech and have them tune my car personally. We shall see what happens when the tracks open up next month...
Old 01-29-2007, 02:07 AM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you might want to consider the bigger pulley that renntech is coming out with for the E55...i read that it should be out soon in one of the threads around here, should make a nice addition to the mods you already have...
Old 01-29-2007, 07:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by 1FASTC32
you might want to consider the bigger pulley that renntech is coming out with for the E55...i read that it should be out soon in one of the threads around here, should make a nice addition to the mods you already have...
Consider?? I am on the waiting list.. (if there is one)

Next mods:
1) Larger Renntech Pulley
2) Renntech I/C
3) Renntech long tube headers (maybe)

I will probably have to wait at least until February though. Would like to test my car at the track before putting on these addtl mods..
Old 01-29-2007, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
.........the fastest cars in my opinion will be combination of ASP/Hennessey pulley with Kleeman set up including headers. Then add a larger intercooler of some sort. Everyone bad mouthed Hennessey when they were the first to come up with the larger pulley rquiring a smaller water pump pulley. Now Renntech has copied the approach and all of a sudden, everyone thinks it is okay.

Ted
Old 01-29-2007, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Originally Posted by MB_Steve
Consider?? I am on the waiting list.. (if there is one)

Next mods:
1) Larger Renntech Pulley
2) Renntech I/C
3) Renntech long tube headers (maybe)

I will probably have to wait at least until February though. Would like to test my car at the track before putting on these addtl mods..

WTF am I reading this right ? Renntech came up with a LARGER crank pulley and water pump pulley ? I just gave my left nut for my Stage I no more than a few months ago...that really sucks big **** if its true...guess i better go look at their website.. Adam at Euroelites..is this the new deal ? Will they offer any upgrade for the saps that have the smaller setup ?
Old 01-29-2007, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by vader
WTF am I reading this right ? Renntech came up with a LARGER crank pulley and water pump pulley ? I just gave my left nut for my Stage I no more than a few months ago...that really sucks big **** if its true...guess i better go look at their website.. Adam at Euroelites..is this the new deal ? Will they offer any upgrade for the saps that have the smaller setup ?
i thought they only offer the larger pully with their i/c mod (stage 6 or something).
Old 01-29-2007, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Im assuming this is why Renn has not announced anything about the larger pulley deal.People that just purchased the regular pulley might be upset over this.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
......... Now Renntech has copied the approach and all of a sudden, everyone thinks it is okay.
Ted
Preach it.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Vader: Its still in early stages. Nothing has been released as of today.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Originally Posted by AdamG@EuroElites
Vader: Its still in early stages. Nothing has been released as of today.
Mine isn't even dusty yet !!!
Old 01-30-2007, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Mine isn't even dusty yet !!!
They do not want to give this part to people running a car with a stock IC system. They feel it stresses the cooling system beyond what it was designed for and it makes the car prone to having very high intake temps. If you want to upgrade your IC system you can have the larger pulley but if you want to leave the IC alone you should not go any larger.

I think they are offering these larger pullies to press further on very modified cars. Its not really a new stage 1 but more of an addition to say stage 5 etc.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
They do not want to give this part to people running a car with a stock IC system. They feel it stresses the cooling system beyond what it was designed for and it makes the car prone to having very high intake temps. If you want to upgrade your IC system you can have the larger pulley but if you want to leave the IC alone you should not go any larger.

I think they are offering these larger pullies to press further on very modified cars. Its not really a new stage 1 but more of an addition to say stage 5 etc.

...........of course, what else are they going to say? Besides, there is nothing fundamentally profound about that statement. Any forced induction car suffers from heat soak issues including the AMGV8K cars. Larger crank pulley equals more boost and more heat and more lean a/f ratio. Using this as a way to sell their overpriced intercooler is good marketing, but nothing makedly insightful. People are capble of using these larger pullies and tunning their cars properly without buying a $15K Renntech intercooler. Many have also used these larger pullies without any ECU modification and are just fine.

Ted
Old 01-30-2007, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
It is my understanding that the new pulley must come with their I/c pump upgrade which is similiar to the Evosport I/C upgrade. This is different than the Renntech SLR intercoolers. Timing of release is uncertain as far as I know. Could be months before it is released.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by MB_Steve
It is my understanding that the new pulley must come with their I/c pump upgrade which is similiar to the Evosport I/C upgrade. This is different than the Renntech SLR intercoolers. Timing of release is uncertain as far as I know. Could be months before it is released.

...........understood. The question is why is anyone waiting for a Renntech large pulley when the product has been available for years by ASP and Hennessey? My point is that this is nothing new or interesting for that matter. For those already have the Renntech or Kleemann ECU, just get the Hennessey or ASP pulley. No, we are all waiting for when Renntech says it is okay. No Brutus the fault is in us that we are underlings.

Ted
Old 01-30-2007, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
...........understood. The question is why is anyone waiting for a Renntech large pulley when the product has been available for years by ASP and Hennessey? My point is that this is nothing new or interesting for that matter. For those already have the Renntech or Kleemann ECU, just get the Hennessey or ASP pulley. No, we are all waiting for when Renntech says it is okay. No Brutus the fault is in us that we are underlings.

Ted
true. the only reason why I am waiting is because I dont want to mix tuners. Have you seen any dyno or track results from the ASP pulley compared to the smaller RT or Kleemann pullies?
Old 01-30-2007, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX

Ted
I think its because RennTech is a highly respectable tuner with MBs and that RennTech mods won't void your warranty at most dealers. Some dealers even install RennTech mods. But other than that, I totally agree with you.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:37 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
There is a reason why most tuners keep the crank pulley similarly sized.

Going larger, like ASP (Hennessey), leads to kompressor clutch slippage over period of time.

Tuners already know it. If you are running ASP you will find out.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Vadim @ MBLN

Going larger, like ASP (Hennessey), leads to kompressor clutch slippage over period of time.

Please explain..
Old 01-30-2007, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
I have ASP pulley and will be putting on my kleeman Headers w/downpipes. The ASP is a miracle worker for 800 bucks, I have not seen any other cheeper HP gain in these cars. I gained 30 RWHP just by a pulley, not including the ECU, if the clutches start acting up, then i will just take it in for replacement.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by Vadim @ MBLN

...........I am not recomending that people neccessarily go get larger pulleys. For those that want it, I don't think that Renntech's soon to be released larger pulley will contain an anti supercharger clutch slippage magic juice. The annoited tuners either think that these larger pulleys are bad and don't offer it, or concede that the non-annoited tuners were right and copy them. This apparently is what Renntech is doing. If you want larger pulleys, they are already available and used successfully by many. At $800, the ASP pulley as mentioned is the biggest bang for the buck in mercedes benz tunning and no one that I know that has it has had any issues.

Ted

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Renntech or Kleemann