W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Intercooler Upgrade - SLR style

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2007 | 04:16 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Now I'm offended.. LOL.. You actually think if I did something it would look like that??? I would never install that on my own car let alone on someone elses car..

That's why we didnt use my car to test the original kit out...

Originally Posted by 2MANYCARS
Not interested at all, that setup is just ugly, and I rather kill myself but to put a scoop on my hood. Hood scoops belong to Subaru's only.
Thanks buddy!! We'll see if we gain any traction this time.

Originally Posted by MACHC5
OK Vic, I'm in again...

Everything else Vic has done... has been good...

MachC5
Old 01-30-2007 | 05:12 PM

2018 E63S wagon, 2016 GLE350d, GLE450 on order
i have to disagree with all you guys "bagging" the HKS filters. Check out the JDM cars and see the power they make in Japan with these filters. Used them for years on my Japanese cars and they ALWAYS made power on the dyno. I agree that the setup of the SL is far from ideal, but it is not due to the filter contruction, maybe the size etc..... Vic, maybe i should bring out my 1.3L rotary monster when we have the track day in the summer, oh yeah it has one of those HKS "thingies"
Old 01-30-2007 | 05:45 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
John... No disrepect intended to the HKS filter.. I've used them on all my JDM cars.. I had a talon, and a Stealth TT that both had those filters on there.. I was only making fun of the fact that they couldnt solve the airfilter problem so they stuck on the HKS one because it was probably the only one they could make fit between the firewall & TB..

LOL.. Dont bring the Rotary!! That's not playing fair.. Its for MB equipment only..

Originally Posted by jparch
i have to disagree with all you guys "bagging" the HKS filters. Check out the JDM cars and see the power they make in Japan with these filters. Used them for years on my Japanese cars and they ALWAYS made power on the dyno. I agree that the setup of the SL is far from ideal, but it is not due to the filter contruction, maybe the size etc..... Vic, maybe i should bring out my 1.3L rotary monster when we have the track day in the summer, oh yeah it has one of those HKS "thingies"
Old 01-30-2007 | 05:53 PM

vic, my point was i dont think any type of filter will make much of a difference in that setup

ok, i'll leave the rotary and bring the 55

I would be interested in seeing another design of the SLR coolers. I don't think you can blame renntech for their design. I have been researching this also, and there is not much room in the engine compartment; every design ends up looking like renntechs because it is the only thing that will fit........
Old 01-30-2007 | 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by jparch
vic, my point was i dont think any type of filter will make much of a difference in that setup

ok, i'll leave the rotary and bring the 55

I would be interested in seeing another design of the SLR coolers. I don't think you can blame renntech for their design. I have been researching this also, and there is not much room in the engine compartment; every design ends up looking like renntechs because it is the only thing that will fit........
i don't trust foam filters period but the filter is not the problem here, it's the airbox...or more importantly, lack there of!

there's no one else to blame besides renntech. if what vrus is saying is true (and he's been credible so far) it sounds like renn didn't put any design research into those coolers and simply copied the dimensions from the slr. seems kind of like paying full retail for a rolex replica.
Old 01-31-2007 | 01:17 PM

2012 GL350
Originally Posted by vrus
I am so glad you asked.. Let me provide a little more detail for you and the rest of the people reading...

Renntech sells this kit for $16K USD wholesale, $22K Retail (from the info I have). For this money you get Left & Right cooler, modified S/C outlet manifold, 1 HKS filter. THAT'S IT.. They dont even provide a new pump. Now, someone who is putting this on a car with a stock pump will not be happy to find out that they dont even get an upgraded pump for their $22K -- Not the proper way to build a supposed high end kit.

Oh yeah.. On that Renntech Stage 6 car that was in the magazine that had these coolers, they quoted that the car was pushing 620hp.. A little strange I found when Kleemann K4 is right around 620hp. Anyways, this will make more sense when you read further down.

Your "facts" are way off base. And yeah MLE are the experts?? C'mon you know better than that.
Old 01-31-2007 | 01:57 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
i have to disagree with all you guys "bagging" the HKS filters. Check out the JDM cars and see the power they make in Japan with these filters.
No one is bagging on them. Just sharing our experiences.

Many underhood parts that you see in Japanese magazines are just there for the show. A lot of them actually pull filters off and use a simple mesh when running on the track.

The filter shown on Renntech SLR intercooler is just too small for the amount of air that is needed to support the HP level claimed.
Old 01-31-2007 | 02:06 PM

vadim , if you read on that is exactly what i am saying there is simply a lack of space.....
Old 01-31-2007 | 02:15 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
We need more space.....
Old 01-31-2007 | 02:21 PM

vadim , what are your thoughts ( expert opinion ) on SLR coolers?? waste of time due to the space constraint?
Old 01-31-2007 | 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
+1 Vadim.....just curious what your input is?

Also, my dealer says that the SLR supercharger is a higher flow unit than stock 5.5 units. You ever hear this Vadim? (a bit off topic, but wondering if you knew)
Old 01-31-2007 | 03:27 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Which facts specifically? I obviously dont put alot of weight in what I read in a magazine, but, this particular information seems to be truthful. DynoComp is the one that provided the #s to MLE, and Dynocomp is a Renntech distributor who has done alot of this work, so I am sure they know how to do a dyno..

Do you know of another Renntech car that has this setup that has better dyno numbers?

Originally Posted by goalie_k
Your "facts" are way off base. And yeah MLE are the experts?? C'mon you know better than that.
We could easily create a nice set of Carbon Fiber intake tubes that run from the TB, around the perimeter of the firewall and towards the front grille and have either 2 conical filters at the front or put 1 large rectangular filter close to the grille.

Originally Posted by Vadim @ MBLN
We need more space.....

Not true. I checked the part #s for the SLR & the SLR 722 against our S/C and they are the same. No difference in blower from what my guys tell me.

Originally Posted by Jakpro1

Also, my dealer says that the SLR supercharger is a higher flow unit than stock 5.5 units. You ever hear this Vadim? (a bit off topic, but wondering if you knew)
Old 01-31-2007 | 05:19 PM

04 CLK55, IWC CLS55 AMG(one of 55), 07 Honda CR-V 4WD
Originally Posted by vrus
Which facts specifically? I obviously dont put alot of weight in what I read in a magazine, but, this particular information seems to be truthful. DynoComp is the one that provided the #s to MLE, and Dynocomp is a Renntech distributor who has done alot of this work, so I am sure they know how to do a dyno..

Do you know of another Renntech car that has this setup that has better dyno numbers?

We could easily create a nice set of Carbon Fiber intake tubes that run from the TB, around the perimeter of the firewall and towards the front grille and have either 2 conical filters at the front or put 1 large rectangular filter close to the grille.

Not true. I checked the part #s for the SLR & the SLR 722 against our S/C and they are the same. No difference in blower from what my guys tell me.
What I know is that SLR and CLK DTM parts can only be checked and ordered by calling AMG directly through the regional HQ chief part guy(There is one, we just need to locate him). I tried searching the parts for DTM and for engine chasis interior exterior transmission eletrical etc(They are assigned with 2 digit numbers for each segment) you cannot get any kind of part numbers. It is just PIA. Right before they can click around, the EPC will tell them to contact AMG directly for parts.
Old 01-31-2007 | 05:21 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Exactly...

That's how I get the SLR stuff right now.. Everything is done through head office and direct to AMG in Germany. I'll have CLK-DTM info soon.

Originally Posted by JLee81
What I know is that SLR and CLK DTM parts can only be checked and ordered by calling AMG directly through the regional HQ chief part guy(There is one, we just need to locate him). I tried searching the parts for DTM and for engine chasis interior exterior transmission eletrical etc(They are assigned with 2 digit numbers for each segment) you cannot get any kind of part numbers. It is just PIA. Right before they can click around, the EPC will tell them to contact AMG directly for parts.
Old 01-31-2007 | 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
CLK DTM does have higher compression ratiooooooo.....anyone wanna be the first to try the pistons??

Please God, give me strength to resist.
Old 01-31-2007 | 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JLee81
you realize you're talking to vrus...right???
Old 01-31-2007 | 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK DTM does have higher compression ratiooooooo.....anyone wanna be the first to try the pistons??

Please God, give me strength to resist.
do it...DO IT...DO IT!!!!!!!!!! what could possibly go wrong?
Old 02-02-2007 | 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 SL55
Hmmm. Not as many people rushing to sign up here as I would have expected. Wonder why....
Old 02-02-2007 | 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list
We need more space.....
+10
Old 02-02-2007 | 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list

Jakpro,
When you find the therapist that helps you resist... send them over to me. LOL My car is going into the tuner the first week of March for the Cams and SL Gears. I will keep you guys updated. I can't wait to see what it does to the TQ. hehe I will offer my car as well Jim, but I don't think it will fit like Vadim says.
Old 02-02-2007 | 03:06 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350

Until intake size limitation issue is resolved with SLR coolers on E55, the results will be exactly what Renntech has accomplished. Limited (20-30HP) gain for a lot of $$$$$.

My guess on higher flow SLR kompressor is, that is ported by hand, somewhere along the line. Since it is physically the same size as 55s - opening up discharge window is the only restriction left to be addressed on the kompressor.

Which could also mean that around 650-700HP we are at the limit of "good" airflow out of this kompressor.

Last edited by Vadim @ FD; 02-02-2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-02-2007 | 04:03 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Which could also mean that around 650-700HP we are at the limit of "good" airflow out of this kompressor.
I see a rash of turbocharged E55's coming for the HP junkies.

Ted? Done yet?
Old 02-02-2007 | 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
650-700HP we are at the limit of "good" airflow out of this kompressor.
Thanks Vadim....looks like Rob Allen was right. For all the BS/Corporate lines that he was throwing around in the AMG lounge, that was one thing he did say that stuck out in my mind. That lower 7's was about maxed out for the ole Kompressor. I'll try to find that line he used.

Here's hoping for 8's someday.....a guys gotta dream.