Sponsored by:

Tuner Customer Service reality check

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 04:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 E55 SOLD, 89 300 SE 375,000 miles
Guys,

Come on this is some serious stuff. I know what jangy is talking about. Before rolling over to Kleeman I got the same ****ty *** attitude from RENNTech. when I first got into modding my 06 E55 I went to RENNTech for the headers. After install and 3 weeks the sons of *****es cracked. at first RENNTech blamed the installer until I showed that the failure was in the welding itself.

This is as always be RENNTech philosphy at least with me and from what I have heard from highers up say is basically that us modders are spoiled rich ******** who couldnt find our asses from the hole in wall. That they could sell us sand in the desert and we would kindly say thank you and walk away.

Arjang they dont give a **** about you , me or the guy down the street. Thats their mentality.

For the people listening at RENNTech, you thought that I was an ***, wait till Jangy really gets pissed off.

Oh of course I am going to hear crap for this from RENNTech believers. You maybe just the lucky ones who havent had an issue. I believe that every Tuner has their issues just some ALOT more then others.

Cheers
Old 01-31-2007, 06:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by mbamg06e55
Guys,

Come on this is some serious stuff. I know what jangy is talking about. Before rolling over to Kleeman I got the same ****ty *** attitude from RENNTech. when I first got into modding my 06 E55 I went to RENNTech for the headers. After install and 3 weeks the sons of *****es cracked. at first RENNTech blamed the installer until I showed that the failure was in the welding itself.

This is as always be RENNTech philosphy at least with me and from what I have heard from highers up say is basically that us modders are spoiled rich ******** who couldnt find our asses from the hole in wall. That they could sell us sand in the desert and we would kindly say thank you and walk away.

Arjang they dont give a **** about you , me or the guy down the street. Thats their mentality.

For the people listening at RENNTech, you thought that I was an ***, wait till Jangy really gets pissed off.

Oh of course I am going to hear crap for this from RENNTech believers. You maybe just the lucky ones who havent had an issue. I believe that every Tuner has their issues just some ALOT more then others.

Cheers
i know for a fact that renntech used to sell re-badged/colored amg sway bars (from regular amg cars) as their own to "lesser" models.

a test driver got killed while brakes failed on one of their monster 210's (dont remember whether 6l v8 or 7.4 12), it was a while ago , his name was _______ schroeder
Old 01-31-2007, 08:29 AM

CLS55
In all reality, I thought you started talking about this over the weekend. Its been 2 days. Things like this aren't resolved overnight and obviously they do something right because you felt confident enough to get into business with them in the first place will all the resources of this forum.

that being said.... thanks for sharing your experience because reading stuff like this reinforces my desire to keep my car stock and chills the desire for more hp after reading about so much of it here. : )
Old 01-31-2007, 08:52 AM
Banned

so are you saying because renntech didnt ship a new bolt your installer didnt know a new bolt was mandatory? unfortunately some tuners see working on european cars as big $$$. yet the subtle differences in tuning euro cars can be catastrophic. i suffered as a result of this.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:11 AM

2016 S550 designo Magno Cashmere White (Matte Finish)
Originally Posted by BlackC230Coupe
You use UPS at all? And do u accept paypal?
++++++ 1
Old 01-31-2007, 10:26 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by Dogshine
In all reality, I thought you started talking about this over the weekend. Its been 2 days. Things like this aren't resolved overnight and obviously they do something right because you felt confident enough to get into business with them in the first place will all the resources of this forum.

that being said.... thanks for sharing your experience because reading stuff like this reinforces my desire to keep my car stock and chills the desire for more hp after reading about so much of it here. : )
Hmmmmmmmm, maybe some good advice. My desire to mod has cooled off a bit, too.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by AMG_55
i know for a fact that renntech used to sell re-badged/colored amg sway bars (from regular amg cars) as their own to "lesser" models.

a test driver got killed while brakes failed on one of their monster 210's (dont remember whether 6l v8 or 7.4 12), it was a while ago , his name was _______ schroeder
With all due respect AMG_55 both your claims are 100% false and I doubt you have any real proof for either.

I knew people at the site of that crash (editors at car and driver) and know its not brake failure. When driving a car at 200+ there is a risk of something happening. Don Schroeder was a great man and he is missed. We should not trivialize his death and pointing blame when you dont know facts really is a poor plan of attack.

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 01-31-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:46 AM

04 E 500 4matic wagon; CLS 63 AMG
Originally Posted by jangy
and for the record, i'm not upset yet. I am getting there. My crew has concerns and no one is giving us a definitive answer. Does RennTech want customers for life or is it all on a single sale basis. If the later, give me my money back and go away.
You probably will save yourself time and aggrevation by calling Harmut directly. You will find his direct line on the Renntech USA website.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
You mod, you take yer chances. Evosport just finished the K1 and resonator delete on my '06. While my car made over 10 RWHP more than any stocker they ever tested, it also gained almost nothing after. In fact, the first 2 pulls with the K1 pulley lost power. It feels like it might have gained more with a few miles on the ECU to let it adapt, but this is the kind of stuff that happens. They did put in a brand new bolt and no, it did not come with the pulley, it's up to the installer to know you need one and how to torque it properly. I don't believe there is anything inherently wrong with the Renntech product, although I am not all that surprised that the first run of ECU tuning didn't help, especially on 2006 cars. Good luck Jangy.

Last edited by Mr. Vanos; 01-31-2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
From my point of view, with info I gathered from my shop foreman, the blame lies with the installer not the maker of the pulley. Yes you could go ahead and use a new bolt when doing the exchange but its not something that will make it wobble. The bolt could cause an issue well after the installation (if it ever does and that is unlikely) but this failure happend directly after the installation.

In this case the installation was incorrect and now the pulley has almost come off etc. I see no reason to be "angry" with RENNtech and instead think Jangy should be becoming livid with the people who did the installation. The kit has directions and you cant go holding everyones hand in life. If they are not capable of installing a pulley on a car why do they try to be in the tuner business. The reality is that if you have a WIS mb service manual or any service guide it tells you how to install a pulley. The directions are not complicated and just requires following some steps. The installer made an error and that error was made on several cars. He should be the one stepping up for HE made the error. RENNtech makes the parts but they never installed them.

Jangy, did you ever stop and ask why the installer is being so helpful right now? Might it be because he is freaked out that his poor installation work could cost him 15k for a new crankshaft? RENNtech does this installation all day long and in their sleep and they dont have crak pullies wiggling around and falling off. I think the installer needs to be the place you put the blame and you need to make HIM pay to fix the issue. Its all to easy to go look for the deepest pockets instead of really looking for who is to blame.

Why did your belt fail? Due to the installation being wrong? What does it mean when you say the car is slower with the ecu flash as that seems odd?

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 01-31-2007 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
From my point of view, with info I gathered from my shop foreman, the blame lies with the installer not the maker of the pulley. Yes you could go ahead and use a new bolt when doing the exchange but its not something that will make it wobble. The bolt could cause an issue well after the installation (if it ever does and that is unlikely) but this failure happend directly after the installation.

In this case the installation was incorrect and now the pulley has almost come off etc. I see no reason to be "angry" with RENNtech and instead think Jangy should be becoming livid with the people who did the installation. The kit has directions but you can no hold everyone hand in life. If they are not capable of installing a pulley on a car why do they try to be in the tuner business. The reality is that if you have a WIS mb service manual you any service guide it tells you how to install a pulley. The directions are not complicated and just requires following some steps. The installer made an error and that error was made on several cars. He should be the one stepping up for HE made the error. RENNtech makes the parts but they never installed them.

Jangy, did you ever stop and ask why the installer is being so helpful right now? Might it be because he is freaked out that his poor installation work could cost him 15k for a new crankshaft? RENNtech does this installation all day long and in their sleep and they dont have crak pullies wiggling around and falling off. I think the installer needs to be the place you put the blame and you need to make HIM pay to fix the issue. Its all to easy to go look for the deepest pockets instead of really looking for who is to blame.

+++++1 I also agree !!

If I take my car to get a new alpine headunit installed and the installer hooks the wires up backwards and fries my computer then I would NOT goto alpine and ***** about their product and that they should help me.... I also believe that installation was the main problem in your case.. I could be wrong but I highly doubt it...

Last edited by Cosm; 01-31-2007 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:58 AM

you also have to look at how many renntech pulleys are out there and how many had the problem you had especially when INSTALLED at renntech themselves...
Old 01-31-2007, 11:15 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I have an update: Creative got the new bolts and belt in yesterday.

I'm not upset, yet. I'm simply not happy with the response from RENNTech, while I am happy with Creative's. I said a long time ago that I don't even want to get into laying blame. It simply doesn't matter to me who messed what part up. What I do care about is how easily it all gets dealt with and I'm getting no "good faith" out of RennTech. That is the concern.

To those that simply want to blame the install, riddle me this:

Why would a car with just the pulley INSTALLED (by Creative) be faster and show better numbers than 3 that had the pulley INSTALLED (by Creative) and the ECU flashed (by RennTech)? How do you all want to blame that on the installing shop?

My point about including a new bolt (if needed) in the kit was simply to show that proper install is the responsibility of BOTH the shop and the tuner. They are somewhat the same to me.

Cyn: James was as responsive as he was because he knows what my expectations are. He isn't going through all this crap to "protect" himself. My car is fine. The install isn't!!
Old 01-31-2007, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz

I'm not upset, yet. I'm simply not happy with the response from RENNTech, while I am happy with Creative's. I said a long time ago that I don't even want to get into laying blame. It simply doesn't matter to me who messed what part up. What I do care about is how easily it all gets dealt with and I'm getting no "good faith" out of RennTech. That is the concern.

Why would a car with just the pulley INSTALLED (by Creative) be faster and show better numbers than 3 that had the pulley INSTALLED (by Creative) and the ECU flashed (by RennTech)? How do you all want to blame that on the installing shop?

My point about including a new bolt (if needed) in the kit was simply to show that proper install is the responsibility of BOTH the shop and the tuner. They are somewhat the same to me.

Cyn: James was as responsive as he was because he knows what my expectations are. He isn't going through all this crap to "protect" himself. My car is fine. The install isn't!!
Jangy,

You want good faith work from RENNtech but there is NOTHING they can do. They dont have an obligation to resolove a mistake buy your installer. If they had installed the pulley on your car they would be responsible for the installation process. The buck stops there.

As for the dyno specs, you need to let these cars be driven before you get real power figures for the ecu and pulley upgrades. Throwing the car on the dyno to quickly is not the ideal course of action. You went out on a test run with your buddies before your ecu was done and your ecu was trying to learn how to deal with more boost and maybe was not running an ideal fuel map and the same goes for the cars with the ecu upgrade.

Get all the cars working correctly, and then do a dyno run two weeks from now and I bet all cars will be where they should be on power. You need to look at the delta value from stock to modded not car to car.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:26 AM

Well the first question could be that your ecu needs to adapt, maybe, maybe not but then I can ask the question "why does a stage 1 goes faster than my stage 2 ?? " well there are some cars out there that are just freaks of nature like kens-e55 and fikse cars both have high hp from stock, I am sure this has been talked about quite a bit as the differences of dyno #'s

About the bolt, if the installer was supposed to install a new bolt and didn't receive it then why did he still go thru with the installation ?? that is like trying to fix it with duct tape !! You can't blame the tuner for a bad install, you could only blame the tuner cause he used that installer to install his product.

You say my car is fine but the install isn't....... Who installed it ??? EXACTLY !
Old 01-31-2007, 11:28 AM

Sorry Jangy, not trying to start a war with you or anything I just feel that the installer has a little more to do with the situation that you believe...
Old 01-31-2007, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Cosm
Well the first question could be that your ecu needs to adapt, maybe, maybe not but then I can ask the question "why does a stage 1 goes faster than my stage 2 ?? " well there are some cars out there that are just freaks of nature like kens-e55 and fikse cars both have high hp from stock, I am sure this has been talked about quite a bit as the differences of dyno #'s

About the bolt, if the installer was supposed to install a new bolt and didn't receive it then why did he still go thru with the installation ?? that is like trying to fix it with duct tape !! You can't blame the tuner for a bad install, you could only blame the tuner cause he used that installer to install his product.

You say my car is fine but the install isn't....... Who installed it ??? EXACTLY !
As far as power figures go I know a STOCK CL55 2003 that is making more than most stage one cars (545 hp). Some of these motors are ringers and others ar gimps. I swear I always get a gimp though....
Old 01-31-2007, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
does anyone have (or can get) a copy of the installation instructions? Id like to know if it clearly says to use a new bolt.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:37 AM

As far as power figures go I know a STOCK CL55 2003 that is making more than most stage one cars (545 hp). Some of these motors are ringers and others ar gimps. I swear I always get a gimp though....
I seem to get the gimps too hahah so I gotta spen 15k just to keep up
Old 01-31-2007, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
I swear I always get a gimp though....
bring out the gimp

darn, picture's down already

Last edited by psk145; 01-31-2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:46 AM

08 E63
My 2 Cents

Jangy -

My other half read your original post the day your issue happened and based on your statement that Greg's was loose but not as much as yours, he said that it sounds like the installer did not have the right tool/installation for the bolt and depending on how it came off there could be crank damage. It may be worth having a second set of eyes other than Creative look at your car regarding crank damage and then Greg's car or one of the others for proper installation. This is not laying blame on Creative but letting you cover all basis.

Last edited by ShelleE55; 01-31-2007 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
As far as power figures go I know a STOCK CL55 2003 that is making more than most stage one cars (545 hp).
What?
545 to the wheels? That's 680 at the crank.
Did you see the dyno?

Sorry Cyn, but that's a huge variation from the norm, if it's true, there's gotta' be something different inside that engine/ecu.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
What?
Did you see the dyno?

Sorry Cyn, but that's a huge variation from the norm, if it's true, there's gotta' be something different inside that engine/ecu.
545 hp total at the crank not at the wheels -- good GOD that would be nice!
Old 01-31-2007, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
545 hp total at the crank not at the wheels -- good GOD that would be nice!
Okay, so it's only a minor freak.
I bet that it was hammered right from the start and that's why the numbers are strong.

Back to your normally scheduled programming, sorry Jangy.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
What?
Did you see the dyno?

It can happen. If you're going to use 20% for losses, then my '06 is also making right at 545 HP. I got 435 RWHP totally stock down to the filters.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tuner Customer Service reality check