Riddle me the ECU mods...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Riddle me the ECU mods...

To those that are so much more technical than me, could you give me some tips as to the advantage of the ECU mods?

Here is how I see things
Basic advantages are:
  • Remove / move speed limit
  • Ability to adjust timing
Is that it? Can none of this be done via star? What else is the ECU mod good for?

My car (as do all f the E55s) runs pig rich. I added a pulley, which will add more air. What potential is there really in an ECU mod? Seems to me like a larger pulley will simply fit right in.

Next, I plan to add headers, an even larger pulley, and an airbox. I may even go to a TB. That is going to make the intake as free as can be for now, so I see where the mod may come into play.

Any other advantages to the ECU mod?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Adjust A/F ratio no?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 E55 SOLD, 89 300 SE 375,000 miles
Originally Posted by jangy
To those that are so much more technical than me, could you give me some tips as to the advantage of the ECU mods?

Here is how I see things
Basic advantages are:
  • Remove / move speed limit
  • Ability to adjust timing
Is that it? Can none of this be done via star? What else is the ECU mod good for?

My car (as do all f the E55s) runs pig rich. I added a pulley, which will add more air. What potential is there really in an ECU mod? Seems to me like a larger pulley will simply fit right in.

Next, I plan to add headers, an even larger pulley, and an airbox. I may even go to a TB. That is going to make the intake as free as can be for now, so I see where the mod may come into play.

Any other advantages to the ECU mod?
I step away for a day little brother and your like a kid in a candy store. What am I going to do with you.

when I had my ECU reprogrammed, they toggled the of course the speed limiter, fuel mixture and and of course timing.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
Keeping it simple...in a motor you have air, fuel and spark. If you increase the air i.e. intake side outside of the stock ECU tolerances, you must then modify or reprogram the ECU to change the the timing and fuel map.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by newton22
Adjust A/F ratio no?
How? Isn't that just timing?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by mbamg06e55
I step away for a day little brother and your like a kid in a candy store. What am I going to do with you.

when I had my ECU reprogrammed, they toggled the of course the speed limiter, fuel mixture and and of course timing.
HAHA!! were moving ahead my brother!! I'm just getting some details straight first.

Who did your ECU? You happy with it. was it a first time shot? How did you show the gains (dyno, etc)?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Also, if I want to demonstrate the gains at each step what type of "learning" and or ECU resseting is needed to make sure of the numbers? Is there an instant thing that can be done, or does the car need a chance to adapt to the new settings to make the dyno a truer representation?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
How? Isn't that just timing?
Timing? Ignition timing? That's way different from A/F ratio. A/F is the ratio of air to fuel mixture.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:53 AM

2006 E55
I havent done one of these ECU's but have modified and written several maps for fuel injected big cube Harley's. Once that map gets you in the ball park based on the change or changes you have to modify the individual cells for optimum timing and A/F ratios. It takes about 6-8 hours to fine tune it on the dyno.

I anticipate the same thing applies to the E55 ECU map.......I have and will install the ASP Pulley.....VRUS 80mm throttle body is in transit.....PTE160 thermostat any day now and replace the center resonator with dual 2.75" S/S piping . The vehicle goes in next Thursday.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by newton22
Timing? Ignition timing? That's way different from A/F ratio. A/F is the ratio of air to fuel mixture.
Understood.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by sgtstanko
I havent done one of these ECU's but have modified and written several maps for fuel injected big cube Harley's. Once that map gets you in the ball park based on the change or changes you have to modify the individual cells for optimum timing and A/F ratios. It takes about 6-8 hours to fine tune it on the dyno.

I anticipate the same thing applies to the E55 ECU map.......I have and will install the ASP Pulley.....VRUS 80mm throttle body is in transit.....PTE160 thermostat any day now and replace the center resonator with dual 2.75" S/S piping . The vehicle goes in next Thursday.

I'll keep you posted.
You are talking the exact setup that I want. Are you planning any testing to demonstrate your gains and reliability? I would be interested in that type of work. Let me know your thoughts.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:28 AM

2006 E55
You are talking the exact setup that I want. Are you planning any testing to demonstrate your gains and reliability? I would be interested in that type of work. Let me know your thoughts.
Jangy I'll keep you posted. I working with a place out of Torrance, Ca called Harmanmotive. He helped with the SRT8 test I performed with different exhaust and CAI combos. DCX will not allow any access to the ECU so I've given up and am now focusing on the E55.

They specialize in high horsepower (400-800hp) turbo Subaru and other non n/a engines and is now branching into the new 330i and MB cars. His thinking is along the lines of VRUS and a few others on this site. We are going to use a Superchips baseline tune/map and them modify it from there. I will do a baseline dyno pull with the current set up which is a K1 kit. After seeing your post about the slight wobble of the pulley I checked mine and it has a slight wobble and I've decided to remove it and no longer deal with Shoreline Motoring who originally did the work.

Again, with luck, I'll post the results next Friday after all is done.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:26 AM

E63 biturbo
I'm not very technical but here's my understanding: I know you can adust fuel quantity (enrich/lean out) via the STAR system but by how much and where in the rev range you don't know. So even if you lean out the mixture via STAR it simply changes by a preset value and you may still end up running too rich (or too lean). On the other hand, you may instead end up running too lean at low revs but ok at high rpms which is no good either. So I guess reprogramming the ECU is still the best way to optimise performance for a particular setup because you have control over so many more variables.