Sponsored by:

Intercooler Question. (JANGY,VRUS,VIC, Adam and the rest of the Crew come in

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooler Question. (JANGY,VRUS,VIC, Adam and the rest of the Crew come in

Question guys.

I have never had my intercooler pump go out, i drive hard as well. On a cool night on the freeway, i did a nice amount of 30-100 -120 runs and i never had an issue. Obviously the more upgraded i get, the less i will have an effective intercooler.

My real question is this, obviously i can do the evosport or renntech upgrade with an additional intercooler and pump, however can i just REPLACE the intercooler pump?

What would this be efficent, or is the intercooler the wrong problem and a undersized intercooler core?

I just thought that a replacement intercooler pump would be a very efficent, STEALTH mod.

I even believe that if found a dealership would understand this mod, since they know that they replace them like bulbs.(very often, and a tsb)

If so what pump? Ive seen a few threads on some pumps that were being used for boating or somthing. I want to make sure this is a mod that last the length of the car, and isnt a high maintance issue.

Thanks guys,
Jordan
Old 02-15-2007, 09:27 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Majority here are using Johnson pumps. I know that is what Kleemann uses on their kits. I believe it has 80LPM vs the stock which only has around 20-30LPMs.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by JamE55
Majority here are using Johnson pumps. I know that is what Kleemann uses on their kits. I believe it has 80LPM vs the stock which only has around 20-30LPMs.
Does the Johnson pump make the car run cooler, as opposed to the Evosport and Renntech cooling kits, which I believe actaully make the car run cooler. Correct me if I am wrong...
Old 02-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by SleeperX
Does the Johnson pump make the car run cooler, as opposed to the Evosport and Renntech cooling kits, which I believe actaully make the car run cooler. Correct me if I am wrong...
Yes it makes it run cooler and consistent(less heat soak). Can't comment on Evo or Renntech since i don't have any experience in their product. But i believe it does the same.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I am telling you....GET THE JOHNSON PUMP!!!!

I don't regret it in the least. My car ran 3 back to back dyno runs with near zero loss to heatsoak.

I believe Cory at Klee has mine rigged to run constantly (don't quote me on that though)

No, it does not make my car run cooler, just steady like a freight train.

It's a few hundred bucks and an kinda easy install for a mechanic (just needs to find a power source for the pump)

The full kits are gonna provide even more benefits, but if you want a cheap quick fix to heatsoak, get the Johnson pump.

Last edited by Jakpro1; 02-15-2007 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Evo uses the Johnson pump- I am not sure who had the pump out first but I got mine about 2 years ago. I run my car hard for about 80 miles when I go to see my parents and I am talking about up and down runs to 150mph and even more and the car never loses its power and pump doesnt shut down. There is minimal maintenance- I have had to add distilled water once to the reservoir in two years.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:26 AM

2012 JDM
I have the same question as jdj27x, which I don't think has been fully answered. So far we know that the Johnson Pump is the way to go as far as ic pumps are concerned.

The question is: can we just upgrade to a Johnson Pump for $200 or so, or do we need to spend the $2900 or so for the evo ic upgrade package? Is the $2700 in extra cost really worth it, or will the Johnson Pump work for say the added heat due to for example an ASP Pulley?

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I am heavy into this intercooler thing right now and here is my take:

I also have had no issues. I think some has to do with the style of driving: For example, cycles of sitting at idle then 1/4 mile blasts or just being a loon around freeways or open tracks. I am more of the later.
Another factor is the weather in your area. Humid, muggy areas may need the larger dissipators.
I am personally going for the RennTech upgrade, only because it is tied into the larger pulley that I already paid for. So really, it is a matter of price. If I did not have a deal on the IC, I would just get a pump as you are thinking of doing.

The one area that I don't feel has been addressed well yet is the on and off control of the unit. If all you do is swap out the pump, it will still only be turned on and off as the ECU mandates, which is based on the life and efficiency of the OEM unit. My thought is that the pump is a disposable unit and I prefer to run it harder and replace as needed, reducing the stress on the car. The only option I see for that is to bypass the ECU controls and just run it constant. I don't have experience on how long the Johnson pump will last in that case. If it is reasonable, then I am all for it. If not, we need another method to turn it on and off or at least have an option during "stress" times.

Summary: Yes, you can definitely just upgrade the pump and will see positive results. In either case, if you have heat issues with the system, causing the SC to shut off, MB may reject warranty work. I don't think you'll get flagged for it, though. Find a mod friendly dealer so you can mod away!!
Old 02-15-2007, 12:15 PM

Mercedes-Benz AMG
Yes, the Johnson pump will help some, but in the end you will have the same issue. The cooling system of the car, and the cooling system for the supercharger run in serial in factory trim. In essence you are pumping the same hot coolant just more of it. You can have all the volume you want, heat is heat.
The reason why the cooling package is better, is because we separate the 2 systems. By seperating the systems you can better control the heat. An E55 after the cooling package upgrade has a heat exchanger with its own pump which runs in tandem with the factory cooling system. So 2 pumps and seperate systems. In addition to seperating the 2 cooling systems we are using a heat exchanger to further help cooling. The kit also comes with phenolic spacers to further prevent heat soak. The more modifications you have the more important the cooling package becomes.

Dale
Old 02-15-2007, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
EVO kit comes with one pump or two? Meaning does it replaces the factory pump then adds one more pump and heat exchanger or it just adds one more pump to the factory pump??
If it only adds one more pump, one can change out the factory pump to a Johnson unit first, then add a EVO kit later if needed, and it still would not be a waste.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
i personaly have the renntech package and love it. like jakpro1 i ran my car on the dyno 3 back to back times and only lost 8hp. im a true renntech supporter and especially euroelites both have been great but if you live down south id look into evosport they have good pricing i have no clue of the products but they are right there for support. just like if you lived in colorado id go kleemann. bay area got to go renn and euroelites. JMOs
Old 02-15-2007, 12:41 PM

Mercedes-Benz AMG
Originally Posted by phatmitzu
EVO kit replaces the factory pump then adds one more pump and heat exchanger or it just adds one more pump to the factory pump??
If it only adds one more pump, one can change out the factory pump to a Johnson unit first, then add a EVO kit later if needed, and it still would not be a waste.
The evo kit replaces the factory blower pump then adds a intercooler, hoses, fittings and adds an external resovoir. So yes if you already have the pump you can order the kit without it. The key is to seperate the 2 systems.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by ROCKETW19
just like if you lived in colorado id go kleemann. bay area got to go renn and euroelites. JMOs
I don't live in colorado and i still went with Kleemann. I'm probably one of the biggest Kleemann advocate you'll meet. Infact Cory is paying me a visit next week.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
I don't live in colorado and i still went with Kleemann. I'm probably one of the biggest Kleemann advocate you'll meet. Infact Cory is paying me a visit next week.
bro in your sig you live everywhere.lol. ya thats cool if you can get the main guy to come to you thats just as good as being there so you dont count..cheater
Old 02-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by ROCKETW19
bro in your sig you live everywhere.lol. ya thats cool if you can get the main guy to come to you thats just as good as being there so you dont count..cheater
I only visit in CO since i have an important client but again don't live there. So is your Renntech Stage 6 up and running or what's going on?
Old 02-15-2007, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
I only visit in CO since i have an important client but again don't live there. So is your Renntech Stage 6 up and running or what's going on?
you must have me mixed up with someone else. i just have ic kit, pully, tb,and super sprint system. adam just finnished the TB and is gonna throw a bunch of tunes on it to see what is best. i was lookin into the slr coolers but they are still to new and i couldnt get a price.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Out Of Control!

Almost positive it was you trying to do the full 6 kit from another thread. Anyway keep us posted.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:54 PM

2012 JDM
Here is a website that I found for the Johnson Pump. I have not verified that it is the correct model, but after a search, I found this model on a couple of different sites. This site happened to be the cheapest, but I will probably research more if I decide to buy. Can anyone who has the Johnson pump verify that this is the unit they have?

http://www.autoperformanceengineerin...ml/jabsco.html

Notice, Jangy, that this site addresses your question of reliability after continued use. The spec. says that this pump is made for continued use for a life of 5000 hrs.

dale @ evosport: thanks for the response, is there an installer in the Indianapolis (probably not) or Chicago area that you would recommend if I decide to go with the evo system?
Old 02-15-2007, 02:25 PM

2004 S55 AMG
http://www.taylormarine.com.au/main....tion=Chandlery.

This is the pump but I can't find a place to order it.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:27 PM

Mercedes-Benz AMG
Originally Posted by J 2OOI
Here is a website that I found for the Johnson Pump. I have not verified that it is the correct model, but after a search, I found this model on a couple of different sites. This site happened to be the cheapest, but I will probably research more if I decide to buy. Can anyone who has the Johnson pump verify that this is the unit they have?

Notice, Jangy, that this site addresses your question of reliability after continued use. The spec. says that this pump is made for continued use for a life of 5000 hrs.

dale @ evosport: thanks for the response, is there an installer in the Indianapolis (probably not) or Chicago area that you would recommend if I decide to go with the evo system?

Yes, actually we are talking to a couple of potential dealers in the Chicago area. I will let you know more when I know more. One is Chicago Performance and Tuning.
Dale
Old 02-15-2007, 02:28 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by Shaun

I believe you can order this through Kleemann and Evo.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
Originally Posted by J 2OOI

That is not the right pump. The correct Johnson pump has a retail of over $500 (and street price of $325-35), FYI.

Originally Posted by Shaun

Yes, that is the correct pump.

We should have pumps in stock.

We can immediately refer you to the Drivers Image in Chicago. Our engineer used to be part owner and the current owners are good friends of evosport.

Thanks
Brad
Old 02-15-2007, 06:59 PM
dsc

2004 E55
Originally Posted by otoupalik
That is not the right pump. The correct Johnson pump has a retail of over $500 (and street price of $325-35), FYI.

Yes, that is the correct pump.

We should have pumps in stock.

We can immediately refer you to the Drivers Image in Chicago. Our engineer used to be part owner and the current owners are good friends of evosport.

Thanks
Brad
So, is this pump a direct bolt in swap? Or do you have frabricate anything?
Old 02-15-2007, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
I really do not know. We have never used it like that. We only use it in our cooling packages.

Thanks
Brad
Old 02-15-2007, 08:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Great info guys. Hmmm, 5000 hours. That should last me long enough to be worth $400ish?

Does anyone know if the EVO / Renntech systems have them wired to run constantly?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intercooler Question. (JANGY,VRUS,VIC, Adam and the rest of the Crew come in