Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Originally Posted by BlownV8
From Honeywell turbo technologies website:

"Specifically, for a given displacement you have to make power with RPM on a naturally aspirated engine. If you have a turbocharger, you make power with boost, and everything being equal, at lower RPM, with less friction and with better fuel economy."

Engine theory is great, but in practice you aren't going to improve fuel economy going to an FI setup. If you're in boost you're dumping fuel, especially on a high compression motor that was designed NA (re: 6.2L AMG motor in the 63) - you'll tune it rich to keep it from melting parts, which will reduce fuel economy whenever the engine sees boost, even at part throttle.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by stevebez
Problem with HC N/A motors is when you add boost the cylinder pressure goes so high that pre ignition can become a major problem ...

Its not too difficult to fix though - get slightly shorter & lighter conrods slap them in, then you are free to turn up the wick on the blowers ... which ever you choose. Ok so you lose some go low down - but top end will be outrageous.
How about a methanol injection system to avoid pre-ignition?
Old 03-10-2007, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,078 Likes on 865 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by WayneE
Engine theory is great, but in practice you aren't going to improve fuel economy going to an FI setup. If you're in boost you're dumping fuel, especially on a high compression motor that was designed NA (re: 6.2L AMG motor in the 63) - you'll tune it rich to keep it from melting parts, which will reduce fuel economy whenever the engine sees boost, even at part throttle.

I know what you are saying but it's not theory. 99% of the people 99% of the time will drive the car at it's peak or very close to it's peak torque but there are times the engine will be driven very hard. Yes, those times the car will see reduced fuel mileage and increased engine wear.

Tuning an engine overly rich is a band-aid for a problem caused by an inefficient intercooler system. The E55 is a perfect example of a car with an inefficient or lacking intercooler design. You will see the overly rich tuning by most companies in an effort to cool the intake charge on the E55 when boost levels are increased past stock.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Greg: I agree with you that the potential for power is there as it is for any M5 or M3 that is TT'd. The only concern I would have would be drivetrain. Anybody who gets into the types of mods you are talking about understands the inherent risks and I do not see why the E63 would carry any risk in addition to that. Again, I wonly worry about the tranny and drivetrain in general. As long as you stay away from running drag radials, then really it all comes to the tranny. I like the idea of having a system that kicks in at rev. So what if your launches don't get better, if you have all that extra power once the monster is rolling anyway?
Old 03-11-2007, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by jangy
Greg: I agree with you that the potential for power is there as it is for any M5 or M3 that is TT'd. The only concern I would have would be drivetrain. Anybody who gets into the types of mods you are talking about understands the inherent risks and I do not see why the E63 would carry any risk in addition to that. Again, I wonly worry about the tranny and drivetrain in general. As long as you stay away from running drag radials, then really it all comes to the tranny. I like the idea of having a system that kicks in at rev. So what if your launches don't get better, if you have all that extra power once the monster is rolling anyway?
Agreed. I understand that my drivetrain is the week link. But so what, I can get around that by staying away from drag slicks, no? The car will light up the rears as is, so if I add a bunch more torque without additional traction shouldn’t the trans hold together? This will limit my QT times, but imagine the 30 to 100 runs with 6psi of boost…
Old 03-11-2007, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 Black on Black
Thumbs up probably right on!

Originally Posted by gE63
Agreed. I understand that my drivetrain is the week link. But so what, I can get around that by staying away from drag slicks, no? The car will light up the rears as is, so if I add a bunch more torque without additional traction shouldn’t the trans hold together? This will limit my QT times, but imagine the 30 to 100 runs with 6psi of boost…
agreed!