W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Adjusting front lowering links...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMGs
Adjusting front lowering links...

Does anyone know how to adjust front lowering links? For some reason the front always sits a little higher. I'm trying to get an even drop all around with the same gap space. Thanks in advance...
Old 03-06-2007, 06:36 AM

CLS55 AMG
This has been posted before...
http://www.adjustableairride.com/
Old 03-06-2007, 09:22 AM
Banned

these appear to be fab-ed up. you can order actual mb adjustable links for $200 if i remember correctly. they arent a sponsoring vendor so pm me if interested. have them on my e55 and work great for 2+ years now. if you already have them then ill need to see what you have to lower your car.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:33 AM
dsc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 E55
If you want complete from the cabin adjustability then the Renntech lowering module is the only way to go. It adjusts each front corner and the rear to whatever height you want. Plus it protects the car from lowering too much when you hit 75 mph. Do a search for it or go to the Renntech sight.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
You have 3 options:
1 - You can simply modify the OEM links themselves. I would not do the washer method, but up to you. I would simply bend the OEM links.
2 - Have the calibration re-set on the front by STAR (SDS).
3 - Buy a module from no-nametech.

I wouldn't spend money on it, just to drop the front a hair. The module does work well, especially if you add the extended knobs.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:19 PM
Almost a Member!

w211 E55
What would you guys suggest if you want to lower the front only about 0.5" to 0.75"?
Thanks
Old 03-06-2007, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
Originally Posted by FINALSPEED
What would you guys suggest if you want to lower the front only about 0.5" to 0.75"?
Thanks
The Jangy method.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
If all you want is to lower it and leave it at that height ALL the time, then I say just modify the links.
If, you want to be able to change the height, based on your mood, then get the module, but ONLY if you are getting the added extenders.
Without the extenders, I do not see the benefit of the module. It would take me just as long to adjust the links again as it would to dig up all the carpet and get to the module to adjust it anyway.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:29 PM
dsc

2004 E55
I have my module in the glove box with extra cable. I just open the glove box and pull it out, no bending no fuss.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by dsc
I have my module in the glove box with extra cable. I just open the glove box and pull it out, no bending no fuss.
Do you have to open the box to access the knobs or did you extend them? Also, did you have to extend the harness to get the module up into your glovebox? The wiring it comes with is pretty minimal.

I'll be moving mine into the armrest, soon. I am also working on a plug and play harness that is much longer and doesn't need the wires spliced.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:40 PM

AMGs
You guys are killing me. I'm not looking for any module or other source to lower my car. The car is already lowered, I just wanted some type of direction as to how to adjust the front lowering links... anyone?
Old 03-06-2007, 10:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
The car is lowered? How? Can it be adjusted?

If all you want is to adjust your links, then that is easy. I posted the entire process ages ago, before I sent the prototypes to Benz O Rama. All you need to do is take it apart, straighten the two sides and place them back on. actually, and easier way is to simply spend the $30 retail and get new ones and modify them before you replace the oems. Either way, it takes about an hour to modify them.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:54 PM

AMGs
Originally Posted by jangy
The car is lowered? How? Can it be adjusted?

If all you want is to adjust your links, then that is easy. I posted the entire process ages ago, before I sent the prototypes to Benz O Rama. All you need to do is take it apart, straighten the two sides and place them back on. actually, and easier way is to simply spend the $30 retail and get new ones and modify them before you replace the oems. Either way, it takes about an hour to modify them.
Thanks buddy, can you point a brother in the right direction for the links?
Old 03-07-2007, 12:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
See if this helps. email me for more info. What part of the country are you in? if you are near SD, we can hook up and I'll help you do it.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...highlight=link
Old 03-07-2007, 02:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by DBrasco
You guys are killing me. I'm not looking for any module or other source to lower my car. The car is already lowered, I just wanted some type of direction as to how to adjust the front lowering links... anyone?

What method was used to lower it then?
Old 03-07-2007, 02:58 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 CLK63 Cab
If they are adjustable links like mine then its really easy to do.
1. Simply jack up the front end
2. Look straight inside the wheel well above the front tire to locate the sensor.
3. Remove the long end of the link from the nipple, can be done using a 10mm wrench to twist it off.
4. Give it a couple twists, 3 times around should be fine. Remember longer is lower, and re-attach.

Do the same for the other side and your done. Should take no longer then 10 min.

Here's a pic as well.
Attached Thumbnails Adjusting front lowering links...-adjustable-small-.jpg  
Old 03-07-2007, 08:06 PM

AMGs
Originally Posted by John V.
If they are adjustable links like mine then its really easy to do.
1. Simply jack up the front end
2. Look straight inside the wheel well above the front tire to locate the sensor.
3. Remove the long end of the link from the nipple, can be done using a 10mm wrench to twist it off.
4. Give it a couple twists, 3 times around should be fine. Remember longer is lower, and re-attach.

Do the same for the other side and your done. Should take no longer then 10 min.

Here's a pic as well.
Thanks, you and jangy were very helpful! And jrocket... the method that was used to lower the car were "lowering links" hence- me asking how to adjust them...
Old 03-07-2007, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
The afore mentioned "Jangy-fied" front links.

Thanks again my brutha from another *****

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/162384-washers-gone-car-lowered-via-jangy-fied-links.html
Old 03-07-2007, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by DBrasco
Thanks, you and jangy were very helpful! And jrocket... the method that was used to lower the car were "lowering links" hence- me asking how to adjust them...
Got it now.I was just confused on how you couldnt figure out such a simple task is all.Glad you got it taken care of though.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
I modified my own links with extra long studs.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by newton22
I modified my own links with extra long studs.
I tried those, too. I assume you still add washers? I ended up using these plastic plugs that were about 1/4 inch thick and very consistent. Last thing, please tell me you use loctite?
I had an MB Tech look at mine when I was doing all the experimenting and he asked a relevent question:
"Why do you think MB designed that to use an oval nut on a bolt that is that short?"
I said I didn't know, but it bugged me for days, until I got the module.

I never have heard of any nuts coming off with extended bolts. Be safe and tighten that thing!!
Old 03-08-2007, 12:10 AM
dsc

2004 E55
Do you have to open the box to access the knobs or did you extend them? Also, did you have to extend the harness to get the module up into your glovebox? The wiring it comes with is pretty minimal.

I'll be moving mine into the armrest, soon. I am also working on a plug and play harness that is much longer and doesn't need the wires spliced.
We extended the cable to leave plenty of pull out slack. Right now I leave the cover off the box. Very easy to adjust the knobs without the cover. I may attach the cover with some easy way to pull it off. It takes me 30 seconds to adjust my complete height with this set up. One thing I would be concerned about with the extenders is them getting knocked out of adjustment in the glove box. Do you think they would? If not how do I get a set?
Old 03-08-2007, 12:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by dsc
We extended the cable to leave plenty of pull out slack. Right now I leave the cover off the box. Very easy to adjust the knobs without the cover. I may attach the cover with some easy way to pull it off. It takes me 30 seconds to adjust my complete height with this set up. One thing I would be concerned about with the extenders is them getting knocked out of adjustment in the glove box. Do you think they would? If not how do I get a set?
I don't see how they would be any more exposed than with the top off, plus you have the unit open to the environment.
The extenders are simply fabricated. You can't just buy them.
Email me at jangy@yahoo.com for directions. It takes a dremel and about an hour max.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:58 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 CLK63 Cab
I had an MB Tech look at mine when I was doing all the experimenting and he asked a relevent question:
"Why do you think MB designed that to use an oval nut on a bolt that is that short?"
I said I didn't know, but it bugged me for days, until I got the module.
MB only needs the bolt long enough to get the nut on top to securely fit and they use a lock nut as well. They can set the car height what ever they like via programming.

Its just guys like us that have the itch to play with things. We manipulate the computer to lower the car using which ever means possible.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:54 AM

AMGs
Originally Posted by Jrocket
Got it now.I was just confused on how you couldnt figure out such a simple task is all.Glad you got it taken care of though.
Hahaa simple task huh... anyways, off topic, Jangy what's the word with the front bumper add-on???